Alyssa Latham to Tennessee!

To be fair, and accurate, former staff had zero problem closing out of the portal. Got Jewel and Destinee on their visits, they cancelled other visits. And of course Rickea x2, just to name a few They were among the best portal closers. It's high school recruiting where they absolutely struggled. This is where hopefully the new staff is way, way better.
Yeah, and Hollingshead, perceptibly a major coup at the time. The portal hauls elicited such descriptions as “an embarrassment of riches”. But the frustration burgeoned as the talent and potential seemed squandered.

To be fair, and accurate, former staff had zero problem closing out of the portal. Got Jewel and Destinee on their visits, they cancelled other visits. And of course Rickea x2, just to name a few They were among the best portal closers. It's high school recruiting where they absolutely struggled. This is where hopefully the new staff is way, way better.
Why do so many feel the need to compare staffs? It’s time to move on.

Why do so many feel the need to compare staffs? It’s time to move on.

It actually is not “so many” but a handful. That small group (the few fans that are trying to dictate the narrative between the two staffs) in their minds had some sort of false connection or allegiance with the previous staff through retweets on Twitter and Instagram posts. It is clear to see.
This new staff does not move through social media. They do their jobs hands on and for some people like the fanatics that felt connected to the program through social media now their relevance to the program is gone.
They won’t admit it but it is clear as day. They did too much talking to players and coaches through social media.

giphy.gif

Honestly you just gotta dig around. If you go to Google and search Marshall 2023 highlights it will give you a couple more games than regular YouTube for some weird reason lol. I've watched Troy, Wake Forest, Virginia Tech, App State and James Madison highlights so far. Trying to find more lol
Great digging, SG32!

Suggestion: Please consider starting a thread and posting links to all the Caldwell coached Marshall games you've come across. It would be an excellent contribution to Volnation--especially during the off-season and before football starts this summer. Then, as we come across other Marshall games, or maybe even a Glenville State game, we know there's a logical place to post the link.

But please name the thread exactly what it is, instead of something "creative" but oblique.
"Videos of Kim Caldwell-Coached Teams" isn't creative, but everyone would immediately know what's there and what should go there.

FWIW: It would add a lot to include the dates of each game, so we could observe how her team is learning and progressing through the season.

Alyssa Latham vs Notre Dame. This is a huge performance. We saw UT have this team on the ropes in a half of basketball in Knoxville. The game fell apart for Tennessee in the 2nd half when ND took advantage in the paint. Latham posted a dbl dbl against ND post players. She has all the tools.

🔥🔥🔥🔥 fade aways, threes, dominant rebounding, great vision/awareness, steals, intensity. Wow! A fantastic addition!

🔥🔥🔥🔥 fade aways, threes, dominant rebounding, great vision/awareness, steals, intensity. Wow! A fantastic addition!

She is so fun to watch, I caught a lot of their games this season. I appreciate the way Coach Jack coaches, she reminds me a great deal of my coach growing up.

Latham had me hype with some of her blocks this year.

It actually is not “so many” but a handful. That small group (the few fans that are trying to dictate the narrative between the two staffs) in their minds had some sort of false connection or allegiance with the previous staff through retweets on Twitter and Instagram posts. It is clear to see.
This new staff does not move through social media. They do their jobs hands on and for some people like the fanatics that felt connected to the program through social media now their relevance to the program is gone.
They won’t admit it but it is clear as day. They did too much talking to players and coaches through social media.
The staff vs staff conversations swing both ways.

To be fair the comparison is happening both ways with the opposite view that the new staff can do no wrong and the prior staff did everything wrong mentality.

The success of this coming up season will depend upon the portal. They have one now - I believe they still need what 5 or 6 more.

Sustained success will depend upon getting and keeping great players out of high school to create consistency from year to year. We really will not know how well the new staff is at that until much later this year and early next year - all we know is some top high school players who had committed are no longer committed. I suspect many are taking a wait and see approach.

Personally, I think we are not seeing as much on social media as we have in the past, not because of some difference in the approach, but because we are dealing with a new staff who are more than likely learning how to work together along with a head coach that is not strong in this area.

The success of this coming up season will depend upon the portal. They have one now - I believe they still need what 5 or 6 more.

Sustained success will depend upon getting and keeping great players out of high school to create consistency from year to year. We really will not know how well the new staff is at that until much later this year and early next year - all we know is some top high school players who had committed are no longer committed. I suspect many are taking a wait and see approach.

Personally, I think we are not seeing as much on social media as we have in the past, not because of some difference in the approach, but because we are dealing with a new staff who are more than likely learning how to work together along with a head coach that is not strong in this area.

This is exactly right and I agree with you. Recruiting for the future is the lifeblood of every successful program.

Where was this energy with the previous coach?

Reactions: Ratvol
Actually we’re seeing a lot on social media but it is coming from the players, recruits, parents, and the coaches are there in the background sharing/liking the posts the way it should be. I saw a former LSU player parent this morning congratulating Alyssa Latham.

Jewel Spear is a well known and respected WBB player that people on social media as well as out in public are drawn to with her positive demeanor, which makes it very exciting to see her happy and welcoming new players.

There’s an incredible buzz around the LVs right now and it has only been three weeks for Coach Caldwell and one week together with the full staff.

I have never seen a new hire get 800-900k+views and several 300-100k+ views with thousands of likes in less than a full month on the job. This was a home run.

This is going to be a fun season.

Regarding social media - I don't follow along that much on those other platforms - I just watch for relevant posts on here. But I do know that is how most young adults today communicate and build the influence that sparks their success including increasing their exposure for NIL purposes. That is also how many of them get their news.

Actually we’re seeing a lot on social media but it is coming from the players, recruits, parents, and the coaches are there in the background sharing/liking the posts the way it should be. I saw a former LSU player parent this morning congratulating Alyssa Latham.

Jewel Spear is a well known and respected WBB player that people on social media as well as out in public are drawn to with her positive demeanor, which makes it very exciting to see her happy and welcoming new players.

There’s an incredible buzz around the LVs right now and it has only been three weeks for Coach Caldwell and one week together with the full staff.

I have never seen a new hire get 800-900k+views and several 300-100k+ views with thousands of likes in less than a full month on the job. This was a home run.

This is going to be a fun season.
Just keep getting some more portal players I want to finally start winning games we should

Alyssa Latham vs Notre Dame. This is a huge performance. We saw UT have this team on the ropes in a half of basketball in Knoxville. The game fell apart for Tennessee in the 2nd half when ND took advantage in the paint. Latham posted a dbl dbl against ND post players. She has all the tools.

This young lady will definitely help the lady vols become a better basketball team. There's no doubting her athletic ability, plays defense with a sense of urgency & can hit from deep if needed.

Your new head coach may have only had 1 year of D1 experience so far but this type of commit shows that she understands & is pursuing what is needed to compete in this league. Impressive.

Your new head coach may have only had 1 year of D1 experience so far but this type of commit shows that she understands & is pursuing what is needed to compete in this league. Impressive.
CKC showed that when she hired the two SEC assistants. That was the first huge get for her. Started the ball rolling. Great decision on her part.

This young lady will definitely help the lady vols become a better basketball team. There's no doubting her athletic ability, plays defense with a sense of urgency & can hit from deep if needed.

You are right. You gave a perfect analysis of Latham’s game. Coach Caldwell to me seems like a natural leader and coach. Not a big talker. She is a business minded person. Often times those people seek the right environment and organization that meets their expectation.
The thing that has stood out to me is when she stated during her press conference that she had other opportunities but did not pursue jobs that did not have high expectations.
We all know that not a single person knows everything and can be successful at every task/role that a career demands. You have to surround yourself with the right people.
I believe at this present moment Coach Caldwell and AD Danny White have made the right decisions in bringing the right people into the Tennessee Women’s Basketball program.

For some reason the former staff was very good at portal recruiting, we have to give them their props. However, their high school recruiting sucked big time.

For some reason the former staff was very good at portal recruiting, we have to give them their props. However, their high school recruiting sucked big time.
Like the video I posted before with Maria saying we loss in Hs recruiting due to Nil, now that Danny has his coach in place we have Nil money to spend so that should help going forward.

I never griped about KJH recruiting and signing portal players. My gripe with KJH was evaluation of her roster and HS recruiting. She signed the same prototype player such as Puckett Striplin Pissotte etc and never the HS athletic quickness and speed athlete that any team who competes in the SEC has to have.

VN Store

Back