All things STOCKS

I’ve never owned one or the stock, but Toyota (TM) is a really well run company. I don’t know how directly correlated it is with the overall Japanese economy, but after a few decades of Japan’s sluggish growth they seem to have figured out how to manage their huge national debt and awful (aging) demographics. It really benefits them to be able to tap in to the US consumer gravy train.

I’ve been wondering what I ought to do with my tiny portfolio allocation in Japan. They’re still the 3rd/4th largest largest economy in the world.

Extended short squeeze. There aren’t enough shares out there available for the shorts to close their positions. Similar to the meme stock squeeze about 4 or 5 years ago - but without the social media gang banding together to push the price up.

Carvana is quite the trading stock. I wouldn’t hold for the long term. The founder is crooked. His son runs the CVNA operation.

I’m glad that I only traded CHPT a few round trips and didn’t keep a long position.

ChargePoint is pretty much the industry leader in electrifying those EVs but has been racing to zero. I’d guess Big Oil (energy) will eventually own the space. TSLA might be a player with a significant revenue stream.

I’m glad that I only traded CHPT a few round trips and didn’t keep a long position.

ChargePoint is pretty much the industry leader in electrifying those EVs but has been racing to zero. I’d guess Big Oil (energy) will eventually own the space. TSLA might be a player with a significant revenue stream.
chpt up about 40% in last week. Maybe a buyer?

Not a fan.

Get ballsy and pick something.

It can either be something you really really like. Or, it can be something you extra ordinarily dislike. Eliminate / Add based off that opinion.

For me, equal weight is only for someone who chooses to not pay any attention to market at all.

With that disclaimer, I casually follow along. And, the S&P 500 has probably beat me four of last five years...lol!
Yes, that's my game as well. I was really asking more for my teenage son to invest in. He's starting to dip his toe as he has saved a good bit thanks to working hard and not having a girlfriend.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
chpt up about 40% in last week. Maybe a buyer?

Or maybe it’s just too cheap considering the industry and the Inflation Reduction Act spending that’s looming.

I think that a good way to exploit the EV universe would be through those equities that own a lot of commercial real estate with lots of parking. Maybe MCD is being trashed too much because of the weight loss drugs. I don’t know how much their business model is reliant on overeaters as opposed to people eating normal portions on their lunch hours. But they have lots of commercial acres EVERYWHERE that are perfect for selling electricity to charge up EVs.

Shopping center oriented REITs are well positioned.

The landowners can sit back and collect a royalty while the operators (CHPT?) bear the risk and burden of maintaining the charging infrastructure.

Last edited:
Or maybe it’s just too cheap considering the industry and the Inflation Reduction Act spending that’s looming.

I think that a good way to exploit the EV universe would be through those equities that own a lot of commercial real estate with lots of parking. Maybe MCD is being trashed too much because of the weight loss drugs. I don’t know how much their business model is reliant on overwaters as opposed to people eating normal portions on their lunch hours. But they have lots of commercial acres EVERYWHERE tgat are perfect for selling electricity to charge up EVs.

Shopping center oriented REITs are well positioned.

The landowners can sit back and collect a royalty while the operators (CHPT?) bear the risk and burden of maintaining the charging infrastructure.
It'll be interesting to see how much demand there is at McD. Interstate and in town.
I would expect most EV owners to charge at home when possible.

Yes, that's my game as well. I was really asking more for my teenage son to invest in. He's starting to dip his toe as he has saved a good bit thanks to working hard and not having a girlfriend.
Yes, that makes more sense.

I have a sister who is just learning. So, yes, we put her in equal balanced funds. Safe and a good opportunity to learn across all the sectors.

May take her a few years, but if she has the stomach to ride out the dips, think she will see that it is hard to beat the rapid changes in technology and pharmaceuticals.

It'll be interesting to see how much demand there is at McD. Interstate and in town.
I would expect most EV owners to charge at home when possible.

I’d think that those that drive a lot will grab a charge whenever there’s an opportunity. Office buildings and hotels will be other optimum charging locations. I think that’s what CHPT does. Contract with those property owners.

The interstate McDonald’s are better suited to exploit the EV charging market.

Traditional gas stations don’t have a tremendous amount of space. It will be interesting to see if they are much of a player.

Utility companies should do well over the next couple of generations. EVs. Data centers/server farms. Crypto mining. All of that translates to considerably more demand. And the XOMs and CVXs will be selling them the fuel.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbh
As far as car/truck retailers, IMO CarMax has a terrific business model while Carvana is smoke and mirrors and is controlled by a shady family.

Carvana shareholders are benefiting from the mother of all short squeezes (at least since meme stocks).

A couple of years ago I looked into Carvana and iirc the market cap divided by the number of physical locations was $1 billion. That’s some fancy elevators.

CarMax has an inventory problem. I would stay away. If the used car market collapses (and Q1 numbers suggest that might be happening), they will be up **** creek.

Last edited:
CarMax has an inventory problem. I would stay away. If the used car market collapses (and Q1 numbers suggest that might be happening), they will be up **** creek.

That sounds like a short term problem. If I was jumping in and out I’d be trading Carvana. I’ve held KMX since it was spun out of Circuit City.

As long as they don’t buy a **** ton of inventory just before the bottom quickly falls out they should be fine. They’ll make their margins no matter where the price points are. I think that they flip their inventory rather quickly and can speed it up by dropping their prices.

The sooner he learns to be an index investor the richer he’ll be. A word to the wise should be sufficient.

Reactions: Go aeiou
I do like Shopify. How much pull back do you think we will see here? Think it fills the gap back to $48?
Oh, I hope not that much. I really think most of the damage is done. Looking back a tend to have these big drops for these very innocuous reasons and then they rally significantly in the months ahead.

Do dips exist anymore? I've been waiting months for one. Sad.
Patience.
s&P 500 closed at $4117 on 10-23-23. $2583 on !0-10-22.
Hard to not sell in dips and hard to buy in dips. It's luck to catch the very bottom.
The general trend is up.
Look at the five year chart.

FWIW: The next dip is about to start any minute now.

Last edited:
I am liking RPD for a rebound here. I thought earnings were pretty good, but I guess investors got scared off by guidance. Whatever the case, they are lagging behind the sector way more than they should given the earnings call they just had.

Last edited:
I am liking RPD for a rebound here. I thought earnings were pretty good, but I guess investors got scared off by guidance. Whatever the case, they are lagging behind the sector way more than they should given the earnings call they just had.
A little activity here today. Up 3%.

Of course, today was a strong market day overall, but steps are important. The chart is looking sexy for any technical traders out there. Could see a nice little run leading into the next earnings in late July.

I still think it's way under priced, regardless of any technical signs. Profitable company in a sector that has really taken off the last couple of years and should only continue to grow as AI becomes more commonplace.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back