Alienware Steam machine

This article further illustrates why I think MS will eventually bow out of the traditional console race go more in the direction Valve is going in...

[Update] Microsoft Will Focus Primarily On Xbox Live Usership, Not Console Shipments - News - www.GameInformer.com

I could see them also going the other way and attempting to merge with a service like Steam (or make Live more like it) and have full Windows 10 integration between the console and PC. They're like Google, they're both worth nearly 400 billion and like Google, they could sell their hardware at close to cost and make up for it with Live sales and digital libraries.

I'm really surprised Apple hasn't developed a game console at this point, but 3 consoles seems to be the Goldilocks zone for the market. Their user interface would be badass though.

My prediction for the industry moving forward is that it's going to be less about hardware and more about content delivery; pc/console will become the same thing

My prediction for the industry moving forward is that it's going to be less about hardware and more about content delivery; pc/console will become the same thing

This, and the digital scene will continue to grow and take over. They still charge ±$59 for a new game whether it is digital or disc... So IMO the disc version will fade out to make them more money and/or prevent a price increase (wishful thinking).

This, and the digital scene will continue to grow and take over. They still charge ±$59 for a new game whether it is digital or disc... So IMO the disc version will fade out to make them more money and/or prevent a price increase (wishful thinking).

I agree.

MS tried this with Xbox One but the market went crazy. Sony said "Only digital? The PS4 takes discs."

But, it's going to happen. And it's probably going to happen in the next 4-6 years. Media of all sorts (DVDs, BluRay, cds, etc) will fade away as everything will be digital.

I agree.

MS tried this with Xbox One but the market went crazy. Sony said "Only digital? The PS4 takes discs."

But, it's going to happen. And it's probably going to happen in the next 4-6 years. Media of all sorts (DVDs, BluRay, cds, etc) will fade away as everything will be digital.

It's going to be weird not having anything to clutter my gaming shelf/alter... Many of the WalMarts around here are already pulling BluRays (besides new releases) because they don't sell well...

that's a shame because everyone should really be taking advantage of the blu ray format for superior audio and video; digital content hasn't caught up yet

Reactions: 1 person
I have completely flipped to only buying digital content for movies. Amazon makes it to easy and convenient not to. As for games, I am 75% there. Need external HDs to make it more useful. HDs are still to small for consoles IMO.

In the past, I've been as big an advocate for physical media as you will find.

Having said that, I will be the first to admit that I LOVE being able to get in and out of my digital titles on my PS4 and Xbox One quickly and seamlessly without changing disks. Yeah it's lazy, I know. However there are times where I fire up my consoles, not knowing exactly what I'm going to play, and in many instances I will pick a digital game over a physical game because it's already there to start playing and I don't have to get up, pull the disk out of the shelf, take it out, put it in the player, wait for my PS4 to detect it, etc. Like I said, I know it's lazy but it's where we are. I'm slowly getting there with movies as well. In many instances when I want to watch a movie I'll see whats on Amazon, Netflix, or Hulu first because it's just more convenient.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
In the past, I've been as big an advocate for physical media as you will find.

Having said that, I will be the first to admit that I LOVE being able to get in and out of my digital titles on my PS4 and Xbox One quickly and seamlessly without changing disks. Yeah it's lazy, I know. However there are times where I fire up my consoles, not knowing exactly what I'm going to play, and in many instances I will pick a digital game over a physical game because it's already there to start playing and I don't have to get up, pull the disk out of the shelf, take it out, put it in the player, wait for my PS4 to detect it, etc. Like I said, I know it's lazy but it's where we are. I'm slowly getting there with movies as well. In many instances when I want to watch a movie I'll see whats on Amazon, Netflix, or Hulu first because it's just more convenient.

I buy digital if I see them on sale for a good price.

That's probably true amongst console gamers but I wouldn't think so with PC gamers. I'd say PC gamers have already fully embraced digital distribution. Who knows, maybe set top boxes will be what bridges that gap between console and PC gamers and gets more console gamers to embrace a digitally distributed model.

Between Steam Sales and Humble Bundles, I have given up on console gaming for the most part. Even Origin gives away a free game monthly(even though they are old games). Digital games for consoles I rarely see discounted to a point that I would buy it. I just wait the year or so for the craze to die down and pick it up from the cheap pile at Gamestop. Not much being released for 360 or PS3 that I want so my time has been devoted to my PC library.

Between Steam Sales and Humble Bundles, I have given up on console gaming for the most part. Even Origin gives away a free game monthly(even though they are old games). Digital games for consoles I rarely see discounted to a point that I would buy it. I just wait the year or so for the craze to die down and pick it up from the cheap pile at Gamestop. Not much being released for 360 or PS3 that I want so my time has been devoted to my PC library.

Console exclusives are a big reason why I'm still mainly a console guy. Most of the major AAA PC titles eventually find their way to consoles. However that's just not the case looking at it the other way around. As long as titles like Zelda, Mario Kart, Gran Turismo, Uncharted, The Last of Us, God of War, MLB The Show, Infamous, etc can only be played on console, I'll never abandon the format.

VN Store

Back