Alcoa, Maryville, or Farragut

Coach Quarels recruits pretty well in Jefferson County anyways. He picked up a RB recruit from there about 4 years ago that was one of the top rushers in the state the year before and I think he ended up spending most of his time on the pine at Maryville.

If Maryville wants your kids, Quarels will offer a nice incentive package for your family. (seriously... this happend for real).

Chris Shivendecker was the running back. He went to Alcoa in 2005. He played at Jeff County in 2004.

Maryville is about to start the STEM school program. Do your research on that deal before making a decision. It will be very different from the way high school used to be.

I work in Maryville but we live in Jefferson City. I have two sons (9 & 11) who play youth football and baseball. Both boys are very good athletes and are among the fastest kids in Jefferson County.

Help me convince my wife and boys (9 & 11) that we need to move to Alcoa, Maryville, or Farragut. They do not want to move. My wife is happy here. She has her friends and the boys are big fish in a relatively small pond.

I have already tried the following arguments:

Alcoa, Maryville, and Farragut all have better schools.

All have better youth, MS, and HS sports programs.

Any one would drastically reduce my daily commute.

If your kids are good athletes bring them to Knoxville to play youth football its FAR more competitive than any other East Tenn league.. Competition is what makes kids better so let them play where they will be challenged. As far as HS goes amke sure there at a school that plays a good schedule and make sure u get them exposed thru camps, etc. That's best advice I can give u...

U do not get better by dominating your competition take them to where they will be challenged now. It will make them better in the long run....

Thanks but at this time my wife has no intention of moving out of Jefferson County.

My 11 year old is a pretty good athlete (point guard, quarterback, all star catcher, and first non-coach's kid drafted in Jeff City Little League this year, fastest mile time for 5th Graders at Jefferson Elementary this year).

I think he would do ok against Knoxville or Maryville competition.

Students in the upper 40% who only care about school will love this. They'll pretty much be a part of a different school from the rest of their classmates. They will be taking almost all college courses by their second semester of their junior year.
If your kid is NOT in that percentage, they will be moved to a sort of non-college-bound type curriculum where they'll be pulled away from their classmates and branded one of the dumber kids.
Also, if your kid IS one of the kids to qualify for the STEM program, and they care about stuff like sports, music, or art, they probably won't get much support from the school system. Apparently the STEM curriculum will be so demanding that even being a part of school athletics will be too difficult for them to do. Much less for a kid like me in high school, where I worked, played sports every season, and was in the school chorus. Classes involving the arts will not be included in the STEM course load.
I want my kid to get the best education and all, but being a kid is also a big part of high school.

If your wife is not going to be happy in Maryville then I would stay put. That being said, Maryville has very good schools, lots of opportunities for kids, and would be a great place to raise a family. I lived there the first 13 years of my life but moved my 8th grade year. I don't know what schools are like where you live but Monroe County schools are about 3 years behind Maryville.

who is this? former bearden player? I played ball two years, wrestled, and played golf for Bearden....91-94

VN Store

Back