Alabama vs LSU game thread CBS

But the next set of downs had already started on that one.

I think a personal foul prior to the start of the next set of downs just moves the first down spot.

I see what you're saying, but to me a dead ball penalty is a dead ball penalty. That play was over, a 1st down had been made so technically they're on a new set of downs. Just because they hadn't run a play off that new set yet is retarded.

I see what you're saying, but to me a dead ball penalty is a dead ball penalty. That play was over, a 1st down had been made so technically they're on a new set of downs. Just because they hadn't run a play off that new set yet is retarded.

I don't think that's the way the penalties work though. We need to find the rulebook section on this, but it seems that dead ball penalties apply as between plays and not to either the play before but really to the play upcoming.
I'm not sure, but I don't think the new set of downs technically starts until somewhere within either it's signaled/the chains are moved/ or the ball's spotted.

I've seen penalties in the past though that have moved a team out of what would have been first and goal and into just first and ten, so this can't be a new thing.

I could see that if not for the other obvious bad calls, two picked up flags....one ref making calls from way out of position. All those calls add up in game like this. The 15 yard penalty was actually the killer.

That penalty turned a potential TD into a FG. Bama would've had a ****-ton more pressure on them if they're driving for a game tying TD rather than FG. No way in the world that wasn't an offsetting scenario or just keep the flag in your pocket.

Surely nobody thinks the NCAA doesn't want Nick Saban in their championship picture

Nonsense, the NCAA doesn't have to do anything when the head of the SEC officials is a Bama grad. :) Les was yelling at the end of the game, but I think once he see the film and sees the 15 yard killer call I think he needs to take one for the team with the reporters on Monday.

gDPOmqq.gif

Reactions: 2 people
I don't think that's the way the penalties work though. We need to find the rulebook section on this, but it seems that dead ball penalties apply as between plays and not to either the play before but really to the play upcoming.
I'm not sure, but I don't think the new set of downs technically starts until somewhere within either it's signaled/the chains are moved/ or the ball's spotted.

I've seen penalties in the past though that have moved a team out of what would have been first and goal and into just first and ten, so this can't be a new thing.

I believe you're likely right. Just seems dumb. There's so many rules that just seem to contradict themselves in certain scenarios, i.e. downing a punt that I touched on earlier in this thread.

That penalty turned a potential TD into a FG. Bama would've had a ****-ton more pressure on them if they're driving for a game tying TD rather than FG. No way in the world that wasn't an offsetting scenario or just keep the flag in your pocket.

There were about 5-6 bad or questionable calls. You have refs overruling other refs that are out of position and others ones making calls that are way far from the action. The one flag they picked up was Nick yelling at the refs.

I think there were several scenarios that could have played out, the call of the punt going into the end zone was killer as well, ended up costing about 80 yards of field position when all was said and done.

LSU fans use to laugh about this stuff, now it is probably passed that point.

I believe you're likely right. Just seems dumb. There's so many rules that just seem to contradict themselves in certain scenarios, i.e. downing a punt that I touched on earlier in this thread.

Yeah, but they're also a bit almost apples and oranges in this case.

I kind of agree, but at the same time, the penalty, while dead ball, seems more relative to the previous play that just finished than the upcoming one...there's likely some explanation the rules give for it, someone just needs to find it.

that would be a good gif if the ref wasn't giving Ole Miss a first down

Patrick Peterson vs alabama - YouTube

Happens almost every LSU Bama game. These games typically are decided by inches.

I think Peterson was just tweeting that last week, LSU fans were joking all day this one would be decided by the zebras and it was.

To be honest, I thought the one picked up flag was the right call (pass inference in the first half) but the ref that was out of position appeared to be overruling.

Even if you ignore the questionable ones and I am not even sure they were questionable... the flipping of the field one and the 15 yarder really made huge impacts in the game.

Last edited:
There were about 5-6 bad or questionable calls. You have refs overruling other refs that are out of position and others ones making calls that are way far from the action. The one flag they picked up was Nick yelling at the refs.

I think there were several scenarios that could have played out, the call of the punt going into the end zone was killer as well, ended up costing about 80 yards of field position when all was said and done.

LSU fans use to laugh about this stuff, now it is probably passed that point.

Verne and Gary didn't spend anytime discussing/dissecting the punt that "broke" the plane, unless I missed it. I saw Les ask the sideline official if it was reviewable and he shrugged his shoulders. The incomptence has gone beyond embarrassing. I used to be proud to be a part of the SEC and its greatness. Im at the point of wanting nothing to do with the conference anymore because the calls and game outcomes have gone from a little shady to borderline all out cheating.

Reactions: 3 people
Verne and Gary didn't spend anytime discussing/dissecting the punt that "broke" the plane, unless I missed it. I saw Les ask the sideline official if it was reviewable and he shrugged his shoulders. The incomptence has gone beyond embarrassing. I used to be proud to be a part of the SEC and its greatness. Im at the point of wanting nothing to do with the conference anymore because the calls and game outcomes have gone from a little shady to borderline all out cheating.

Yeah. When they came back from time out they quickly said something and showed it was clearly about 2-3 feet inside of the playing field. I didn't think it was close when I saw it live and it really wasn't on review.... the ref on the outside made the call.

It was a close game, I thought LSU kind of controlled it for 3 quarters in a way, in a game like this those calls were huge. If LSU were playing Oregon, I would say so what but in these type of games you can't do that.

The pass interference I know nobody wants to call that at the end, but to me the refs set it up by the other bad calls.... it should have never came down to that call to start with.

The Refs helped Bama in OT but that LSU kickoff lost the game. Also LSU's QB didn't run the offense very well in OT. Could have gotten a first down instead of trying for the TD. Huge contrast to how Dobbs did last weekend.

The Refs helped Bama in OT but that LSU kickoff lost the game. Also LSU's QB didn't run the offense very well in OT. Could have gotten a first down instead of trying for the TD. Huge contrast to how Dobbs did last weekend.

He's not too good of a QB though, at least at this point, either.

I think he was...maybe 8 for 22 going into the OT?

Mettenberger was a good QB. I don't know what you're talking about.

I agree, Mett steadily improved each year, by the time he got hurt I thought he was best QB in the country.
I think the thing people forget is a QB is going to have to be so-so or even bad for a year in the SEC to figure out the speed of the game.

Of course, I do not believe all the coaching in the world is going to make Jennings even an average SEC QB. With that said, I know he is trying hard but ultimately Harris needs to see the field.

There is no upside to Jennings. Harris has the tools, remains to be seen if he can develop. It was disappointing finish to the game, but to be honest I didn't think the game was going to be close... LSU is going to be pretty damn tough next year, if they can find even an average QB.

LSU should have won. Alabama got several big breaks in the closing minutes. The incomplete, "complete" pass to get into FG range was a big one. Somebody up in the booth should have had Les screaming for a review on that one. I know good teams make their luck, but for LSU to get shafted by refs at home was unreal to me.

LSU should have won. Alabama got several big breaks in the closing minutes. The incomplete, "complete" pass to get into FG range was a big one. Somebody up in the booth should have had Les screaming for a review on that one. I know good teams make their luck, but for LSU to get shafted by refs at home was unreal to me.

I didn't see anything on the replays they showed that looked like they could have overturned the call. It was questionable at best, which means the call probably would have stood even if they'd stopped to review it.

Reactions: 1 person
The John Chavis prevent defense again snatches defeat from the jaws of victory.

he didn't play a prevent. He blitzed. And he held Bama to 10 pts 59 minutes.
And to repeat, the first play of OT was a penalty that wasn't called, and blatant penalty right in front of the ref but Saban was behind him so he wouldn't throw the flag. Such bs. That's at least 6 plays I remember this year where Saban/Kiffin are doing a bs sub at the last second or an illegal motion penalty isn't called and each play was a big, long play or a td or both.
Think about that @ 42+ pts on plays that shouldn't have been allowed.

he didn't play a prevent. He blitzed. And he held Bama to 10 pts 59 minutes.
And to repeat, the first play of OT was a penalty that wasn't called, and blatant penalty right in front of the ref but Saban was behind him so he wouldn't throw the flag. Such bs. That's at least 6 plays I remember this year where Saban/Kiffin are doing a bs sub at the last second or an illegal motion penalty isn't called and each play was a big, long play or a td or both.
Think about that @ 42+ pts on plays that shouldn't have been allowed.

You didn't watch the last 50 seconds of regulation did you?

You didn't watch the last 50 seconds of regulation did you?

you mean when they gave up a long 3rd down run because all the receivers were covered, the corner blitzed and bama qb rolled to his left to get a 3rd and long by a couple inches?

Yeah. That's not a prevent defense. I hear it all the time, but when you are in man underneath with a double team on Cooper and you send a corner blitz, it's the opposite of prevent.

The other long play was pressure up front, bama qb rolls to his right because nobody is open, and hits a wr coming back for the ball in man coverage. Again, not a prevent.

So yeah, I watched a little football yesterday.

Why is the UA assistant giving the ref the ball and the Ole Miss players are walking past the line of scrimmage?

just a ball boy and for whatever reason, there are ballboys from other teams on opposite sidelines. Look at the coaches shirts and the gray pants of the players on the sideline. Those coaches would be raising hell on the ref about the spot if it wasn't in their favor.

just a ball boy and for whatever reason, there are ballboys from other teams on opposite sidelines. Look at the coaches shirts and the gray pants of the players on the sideline. Those coaches would be raising hell on the ref about the spot if it wasn't in their favor.

Generally the ball boy handles the ball for his team right? Do why would a UA ball boy be giving the ref an Ole Miss ball? Also the Ole Miss players walk past the first down marker which would seem to imply they are on defense.

Not that it really matters. Still a funny gif.

Generally the ball boy handles the ball for his team right? Do why would a UA ball boy be giving the ref an Ole Miss ball? Also the Ole Miss players walk past the first down marker which would seem to imply they are on defense.

Not that it really matters. Still a funny gif.

I see ball boys for other teams on opposing sidelines in every game, which means you are probably correct in that it's Bama's ball. Teams may use their own balls while on offense, which may differ from the opponents ball. I can't believe the coaches on ole miss sideline weren't raising hell on that ref.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back