Alabama Penalties

BleedingButch

First of all - haven't posted in a while here, I think I need a new account / change in name.

I know Alabama was heavily penalized in this game, but did it really make as much of an impact as everyone is saying it did? It seemed like for the most part they overcame almost every penalty. For example, when they had the ball on 3rd and goal from the ~2 yard line and got back to back penalties to bring them the 3rd and goal from the 17, they ended up getting bailed out by defensive pass interference (bad call) and having a first and goal. It also seemed like they converted several other 3rd and longs after penalties. If anyone has the time or ability, I think it would be very interesting to see each of the penalties that were called on Alabama laid out and the impact it had on the following couple of plays. Because it seems to me that in the vast majority of the situations (when Bama was on offense), they were able to pretty quickly make up for the loss of yardage as opposed to having to punt as a result of those penalties. Thoughts?

I think the real issue is the lack of disciple in their program. In the past the refs would bail Bama out with a favorable call - or more importantly "no call," and that's not happening this year. The game Saturday night was called very evenly pitting two very even QB's against each other, and we saw the results a great game with a spectacular outcome for us Vols.

First of all - haven't posted in a while here, I think I need a new account / change in name.

I know Alabama was heavily penalized in this game, but did it really make as much of an impact as everyone is saying it did? It seemed like for the most part they overcame almost every penalty. For example, when they had the ball on 3rd and goal from the ~2 yard line and got back to back penalties to bring them the 3rd and goal from the 17, they ended up getting bailed out by defensive pass interference (bad call) and having a first and goal. It also seemed like they converted several other 3rd and longs after penalties. If anyone has the time or ability, I think it would be very interesting to see each of the penalties that were called on Alabama laid out and the impact it had on the following couple of plays. Because it seems to me that in the vast majority of the situations (when Bama was on offense), they were able to pretty quickly make up for the loss of yardage as opposed to having to punt as a result of those penalties. Thoughts?

HemmorrhagingHuepel ?

Josh Pate cited that the penalties were not all discipline like Saban says, he thinks the stadium/fan noise got to them. I tend to agree with that take.

Very few teams (even past National Champions) could have survived that atmosphere Saturday night.

The one big one they certainly did not overcome that had an impact on the game was the DPI that wiped out the 4th down INT by Alabama when we were down 49-42. We lose if that stands, instead we score a TD on that drive. However it was a no doubt, obvious DPI

Josh Pate cited that the penalties were not all discipline like Saban says, he thinks the stadium/fan noise got to them. I tend to agree with that take.

Very few teams (even past National Champions) could have survived that atmosphere Saturday night.
I agree, especially on the pre snap penalties like flase starts and delay of game and the likes.

Reactions: feathersax
6 of their 17 penalties were either false starts or delay of game, so those cannot be blamed on crooked officials. Also found this field angle of the PI call that negated their interception. Clearly the DB had his left arm wrapped around Fant well before the ball arrived. Since the flag came from behind the play, this is likely what the official called.

Untitled1.jpg

My College roommate and one of my best friend is the most level headed Bama fan I have ever encountered. He said that they were lucky to even be in the game and that anyone that is complaining about the refs need to check themselves. He said and I agreed, that the only calls questionable was a couple of the PI’s and one went our way and the other went their way.

The truth be know, I suspect that the NIL has cut into the Bama booster donations to the officials so they are not getting the favorable treatment.

gDPOmqq.gif

The elephants had more penalty yards 17 for 130 yds than rushing yards 114 yards. Gross yards 136 yards rushing, 22 yards lost for a net of 114 rushing yards. That's all you need to know if you want to know if it made an impact.

6 of their 17 penalties were either false starts or delay of game, so those cannot be blamed on crooked officials. Also found this field angle of the PI call that negated their interception. Clearly the DB had his left arm wrapped around Fant well before the ball arrived. Since the flag came from behind the play, this is likely what the official called.

/QUOTE]

Yes, the point of my post is that from what I can remember - almost none of those false starts or delay of game penalties actually ended up adversely impacting them. They almost always either got a first down or got bailed out by a defensive penalty. I am just hoping someone can actually prove this out.

Bama fans now claiming that the ref clinched his fist and celebrated when Tennessee got a TD

I agree. I was seated at the same end zone where Bama was backed up, were stuffed, and had to punt. The noise definitely affected them on those plays, and at other times, too.

Baja’s penalty problems didn’t start in Knoxville. They’ve been penalized 66 times so far this season, far more than any other team in the conf. They had 15 in the Texas game. This is all smoke and mirrors. When you subtract all the noise related penalties, they were pretty much at their season average of about 10 penalties per game. Nothing to see here folks.

Bama’s penalty problems didn’t start in Knoxville. They’ve been penalized 66 times so far this season, far more than any other team in the conf. They had 15 in the Texas game. This is all smoke and mirrors. When you subtract all the noise related penalties, they were pretty much at their season average of about 10 penalties per game. Nothing to see here folks.

12 of their penalties were: delays, false starts, off sides, illegal blocks on kicks, O line holding and such………mostly just bad discipline.

Reactions: Wireless1

VN Store

Back