Alabama LB Reggie Ragland was talking about Tennessee on SEC Film Room

Don't be a dick.

One of the best players from the best team in the country basically said we gave them all they can handle. Right after Oklahoma players are making similar statements about us.

This is indicative of serious progress.

No, it's indicative of how far we've fallen. Ask yourself this, do you honestly think Bama fans would give a rat's arse that a UT player complimented them? I'll start celebrating when everyone in the league hates us again, not when they pat us on the head and say "good try"

Reactions: 4 people
Someone needs to talk to Ragland and set him straight. He obviously didn't get the VN memo that we suck.

I have to say I havent seen many complain about the offensive speed. Just play calls and game management

Michigan is every bit as fast as Arkansas and they didn't seem to bothered by our speed.

JMO but Michigan is not even close to Ark speed-wise..The Vols are playing MUCH better now than they were at the time of the Ark game and IMO beat Michigan if they played them now ..I find it incredible that some folks are unable to consider the possibility that CBJ and the young players on this team BOTH had/have to learn how to win games..I am comfortable with the progress Team 119 has made so I take Raglands comments more as recognition from outside from a source that knows..

BTW, I would love to see the Vols get a chance to devastate Franklin and the Knitting Lions but only if it's in a top tier bowl..

JMHO

Reactions: 2 people
It takes a special kind of skill & ability to sniff out every positive thread and take a huge negative 💩right in the middle of it.

Reactions: 3 people
No, it's indicative of how far we've fallen. Ask yourself this, do you honestly think Bama fans would give a rat's arse that a UT player complimented them? I'll start celebrating when everyone in the league hates us again, not when they pat us on the head and say "good try"

It's actually both. Surprise.

I have never seen a fan base get so giddy over a coach or player giving Tn compliments. We have a player and coach pass out compliments but the sad part is Tn lost both games. Now if we can get Ark player or coach and Fla player or coach to chime in then we have all 4 loses covered.

We need to stop being little brother.

Reactions: 2 people
Tennessee was a hard team to beat this year, 4 losses by a combined 17 points to 2 good and 2 really good teams. I think teams dread coming to Knoxville next year, or even playing Tennessee.

A big problem with our team is depth. That's why we've had a hard time finishing games. Vs 'Bama we played with them for about 55 mins. If that game had gone another qtr we probably would have lost by 3 TDs. They were dominating us at the end. We've got talent but we need experience and depth before we can make that next jump

Reactions: 1 person
"Athletically we were superior to them" Did you watch the second half of that game? They pushed our d-line about 3 yards down the field on every play. We got whipped up front on both sides of the ball in the second half.

It was a bad match up for a team with limited DT depth ( good depth with no fall off ) and Freshmen manning the starting role . It was a bad match up for a freshman MLB . Power gap scheme running , from a downhill attacking sort of philosophy requires one essential technique that freshmen by and large do not master : shedding blocks and shedding them fast . They did not do a good job in the Arkie game . For the most part ...we had far superior athleticism on the field

This is really not a valid game to point to as an example . These same guys did an outstanding job against Bama in the same set of circumstances . For the majority of the game , Bama could not block these same freshmen.

Things like hand placement , leverage , shedding blocks have been learned by our freshmen defenders inside season ...which any football knowledgeable observer would understand how huge a feat that is. Measure them against the Alabama game in regard to that style of football .

Someone needs to talk to Ragland and set him straight. He obviously didn't get the VN memo that we suck.

Don't think many have said we suck. To the contrary, most have said that we're very talented, not as young and inexperienced as others (including our headcoach) have constantly said we are, and are very good team that should've/would've won at least 2 more signature games if not for some very poor in-game decisions/management by the headcoach.

Losing sucks. But when you consider two of the teams that we lost to will likely be in the playoff it's hard not to see progression. Two years ago we couldn't even compete with teams like Bama.

Speed and quickness is what I was talking about. Plus I would argue the wet field and the Florida hangover hurt us. If we beat Florida and it didn't rain so much that day, we blow out Arkansas.

The only teams that beat us this year were Oklahoma and Alabama. We beat ourselves against Florida and Arkansas.

Sure. Arky was coming off 3 straight losses to Toledo, Texas Tech and TAM....were they not hungover, on the road?......and I'm pretty certain the field was just as wet for their passing game, no? The passing game that was much more effective that day than ours. As usual, just disagree.

Last edited:
Negavols are just not recognizing the reason people here are happy about the bammer's comments is that for too much of the last 10 years, TN has been thought of as a bottom dweller of the SEC. Maybe we didnt think we had dropped that far but nobody was scared to play us. We had basically become Kentucky.

This year 4 opposing teams are are just happy to have escaped with a win and none of them started the game thinking that a win was a sure thing. Bottom line is that other teams recognize that TN is a dangerous team again (if a bit young) and that is a good thing that we can all be happy about.

Bingo that's when we know we have finally returned....

VN Store

Back