Al Wilson to replace Butch Jones on the Jumbotron

I don't have a problem with it being Al Wilson but the current NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year and Pro Bowler is a former Vol.

Why not help a little more with recruiting by actually having someone up there that these kids have seen play and thinking that can be me up there in a few years after I get to the league. Instead of someone that they likely haven't heard of until they get on campus and see highlights from 18-20 years ago.

But that's just me.

I love Kamara.....but no.

Reactions: 1 person
i think, as we've seen, changing the picture is not something you can apparently get done in day or two.

Al Wilson is a Tennessean, All American, team captain, all conf, all american, conf and national champion, nfl pro bowler.....

there's cases to be made, i guess, for several candidates. but when you think "leader" and "VFL".....how many guys are really ahead of Al Wilson?

it's debatable, but no matter who anyone names, it would be an extremely short list.

excellent choice.

Reactions: 2 people
Who is on the picture behind the Jumbotron has zero effect on recruiting.

yep. it's about 'the standard'. and you're gonna be hard pressed to find someone that embodies what that should be better than Al Wilson.

i think, as we've seen, changing the picture is not something you can apparently get done in day or two.

Al Wilson is a Tennessean, All American, team captain, all conf, all american, conf and national champion, nfl pro bowler.....

there's cases to be made, i guess, for several candidates. but when you think "leader" and "VFL".....how many guys are really ahead of Al Wilson?

it's debatable, but no matter who anyone names, it would be an extremely short list.

excellent choice.

Which is why they should convert to digital and rotate thru many images.
Or just put the General, Smokey and the power T.

Al is a great choice. Neyland and Manning have their names and pictures all over the place. If young players don't know who Al Wilson was - that means we aren't doing enough to honor our past - we're too Peyton-centric, I think.

Reactions: 6 people
Which is why they should convert to digital and rotate thru many images.
Or just put the General, Smokey and the power T.

you're just talking crazy. stop it. then we'd have nothing to talk about 8 months before the season.

Or umm Peyton. I love big Al, but even Eric Berry would be more relevant these days.

You must be one of those people who are waiting on the statue of Peyton to be built so you can go worship and bow down to it on Sundays and Saturdays in the Fall. Peyton gets plenty of recognition inside the stadium throughout the entire game with Tennova commercials along with the locker room being named after him. Peyton also has a scholarship named after him. Peyton did not win the National Title, he did not beat Florida. Al Wilson did both of those things and was an intricate part on the 98 team fulfilling his role as captain. He deserves this honor!

You must be one of those people who are waiting on the statue of Peyton to be built so you can go worship and bow down to it on Sundays and Saturdays in the Fall. Peyton gets plenty of recognition inside the stadium throughout the entire game with Tennova commercials along with the locker room being named after him. Peyton also has a scholarship named after him. Peyton did not win the National Title, he did not beat Florida. Al Wilson did both of those things and was an intricate part on the 98 team fulfilling his role as captain. He deserves this honor!

Peyton funds the scholarship named after him...fwiw.

Reactions: 3 people
No active coach should ever go up there again unless he's got more than one natty.
Why more than one? Would Auburn want Gene Chizik on theirs? Might even want to up that number. Bama wouldn't have a problem with Saban at this stage. Can't believe Butch was up there for so long. Was it his idea to put himself there?

No active coach should ever go up there again unless he's got more than one natty.
Why more than one? Would Auburn want Gene Chizik on theirs? Might even want to up that number. Bama wouldn't have a problem with Saban at this stage. Can't believe Butch was up there for so long. Was it his idea to put himself there?

Have also wondered who came up with the bright idea to put Lyle up there in the first place.

Says a lot about how far the program has fallen when a Taxslayer Bowl win gets someone on the big screen.

There should be no problem with Al Wilson being on the jumbotron. He is one of the first names mentioned regarding Big Orange Football.

Al Wilson cool and all, but that’s not really going to do anything with 16-18 year old kids we are recruiting to UT. Eric Berry? Yes, kids can relate...
When he was here, those kids were likely wearing his 14 jersey.

Last edited:
There are few better ways to say "defense wins championships" than having this trio on display above the stadium.

Great pick, Al Wilson is as legendary as they come... we don’t win a championship without him in 98.

With that said, I hope they are redoing the entire graphic or set of graphics. Looks dated and disjointed imo

If a kid doesn't come to UT because Al is on the jumbotron instead of EB or PM, does anybody really think the kid wanted to be here anyway? Al deserves to be honored as much as anyone who ever played here. Bravo if he is on it.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back