'19 AL QB Taulia Tagovailoa

Nah, he's got no reason to do that and him and his family highly respect Pruitt. He's come several times on his own dime. I think he still ends up at Ala but there's definitely legit interest because of Pruitt. Plus Ala doesn't need committs to go recruit for them at other campuses. It will just depend on how much carving his own path means to him. I fully expect him to end up in Tuscaloosa but TN and maybe LSU would be the only other 2 that he would consider. The VQ Mods have been saying for 6+ months there is legitimate interest in TN because of CJP. Still I would be shocked if he didn't go play with his Bro. Some people don't realize how close Tua was to transferring out of Ala. He wasn't sitting behind Hurts for another year or 2.

Tua nor his family were happy about how the QB competition was handled dating back to last season. There could be some some thoughts about it happening again with Taulia and Tyson. Especially with the Great Grandson of their former Legend HC, who has a statue in his honor. Not to mention the power Paul Bryant JR has. Paul's Dad, Marc is Bryant jr's nephew and helps run one of his businesses. And Bryant bank is heavily involved with Trustee's and most things that involve the. University of Alabama. Taulia and his family may not want any part of that potential situation in a few yrs. Not sure that won't lead to some drama and problem's once that QB battle starts. Ala definitely don't want to piss off Paul Bryant Jr and the power he has. He was the one behind USB shutting down their Football Program a few yrs back. I can Definitely see why Taulia and his family are exploring and keeping their options open. Paul Tyson has mentioned he wants to go the school where he's the the #1 QB. It's far from a guarantee that Taulia signs with Ala, but will still believe it when I see it. Paul Tyson's connections go much further than the Tagovailoa's or anyone else's. Plus Tyson has just as much talent and potential as Taulia or anyone else they bring in for the QB competition.

So you dont think us having Wayna Morris is a reason for him to be recruiting for Bama?

Well.... that sounds great! Won’t play till redshirt sophomore year or Junior year if Guarantano keeps this up. So idk how he competes with his brother. Or maybe I’m wrong and he’s also just THAT good. We will see.

Kind of funny how most are just writing off Paul Tyson. I think those that are are doing so simply because of Tuas success. Just because Tua is playing at this level doesnt mean Taulia will even come close.

For all we know, if he committed to us, he may not be able to beat out any of our QBs. A last name doesnt mean anything.

Kind of funny how most are just writing off Paul Tyson. I think those that are are doing so simply because of Tuas success. Just because Tua is playing at this level doesnt mean Taulia will even come close.

For all we know, if he committed to us, he may not be able to beat out any of our QBs. A last name doesnt mean anything.

Well that maybe but he is putting up video game numbers in High School.

True. But lets face it, if he wasnt Tuas younger brother, he wouldnt be getting this type of praise and attention.

I mean the kid threw for like 4,000 yds last year. I’d assume he would be getting the same attention.

Edit: In 7 games he has thrown for almost 3000yds this year he is averaging like 370yds passing a game. That’s ridiculous.

So you dont think us having Wayna Morris is a reason for him to be recruiting for Bama?

Alabama unfortunately doesn't have to send recruits to other campuses to help recruit for them. This will be his 3rd trip, with 2 being on his own dime. He's doesn't come here to recruit, nor would Pruitt even allow it. He has a great relationship with his family and is well liked by Taulia, Tua and their parents. Again, I'm not saying he ends up here but he may just want to take his own path in college. Not to mention there is no guarantee he could even beat Paul Tyson out for the job. Tyson doesn't put up the passing yards Taulia does because Trussville runs for 220+ a game and don't need him throwing for 370 a game like Taulia has to do. Thompson barely gets 130 rushing yards a game and it's not their strength. Both have started 20 games in HS and Tyson has the higher completion %, the better QBR, YPC, Tyson has an 8/1 TD/Int Ratio and Taulia has a 5/1 ratio and Taulia averages 10+ more pass attempts per game. Compare common opponents this year and Tyson has the much better numbers, better record and much better points per game vs those opponents. I'm like you, way too many are just assuming Taulia would start over Tyson and I see it going the other way. I very easily can see Tyson starting after Tua is gone. One of them won't finish their career at Ala. I guarantee Taulia and his Dad have looked at that scenario. Will be something to watch till the early signing period.

Last edited:

Good grief can you just stop? I think this myth you like to push is just that, a myth.

Can we just let the kid visit, let the 'chips fall where they may' and stop trying to create drama where there is none?

Well that maybe but he is putting up video game numbers in High School.
In 7 recorded games, Taulia Tagovailoa has the following stats:
64.9 % (192/296), 2,613 yards, 26 TD, 4 INT, 26 carries, 86 yards, 2 TD

In 8 recorded games, Brian Maurer has the following stats:
64.6% (212/328), 2,715 yards, 23 TD, 9 INT, 60 carries, 343 yards, 6 TD

Taulia is great, but our QB is also "putting up video game numbers" this season on a team that has an atrocious defense.

Taulia is great, but our QB is also "putting up video game numbers" this season on a team that has an atrocious defense.
Man, high school teams don’t run the ball anymore.

And a atrocious OL..He does have some decent playmakers on his offense to work with. Put Maurer on a all around great team and he would be called a great QB by almost everybody.

good stuff. subjective question:
how's the competition level between these two, any differences? either one leaps and bounds better than the other? i've never gotten the impression the class Maurer plays in is all that great? have no clue about Taulia's, but i'm wagering it's probably pretty good?

nothing wrong withe either kid's stats...both very impressive.

Reactions: SmokeyDaBear
Who else is visiting this weekend? Need to make sure there's a Trey Smith/Jauan Jennings type guy in the group... Would prefer Wanya Morris breathe down his neck all weekend.
He is going to have Wanya in his ear. Not bad to have the #1 OL in the country talking to a blue chip qb recruit for you.

Alabama unfortunately doesn't have to send recruits to other campuses to help recruit for them. This will be his 3rd trip, with 2 being on his own time. He's doesn't come here to recruit, nor would Pruitt even allow it. He has a great relationship with his family and is well liked by Taulia, Tua and their parents. Again, I'm not saying he ends up here but he may just want to take his own path in college. Not to mention there is no guarantee he could even beat Paul Tyson out for the job. Tyson doesn't put up the passing yards Taulia does because Trussville runs for 220+ a game and don't need him throwing for 370 a game like Taulia has to do. Thompson barely gets 130 rushing yards a game and it's not their strength. Both have started 20 games in HS and Tyson has the higher completion %, the better QB, UPC, Tyson has an 8/1 TD/Int Ratio and Taulia has a 5/1 ratio and Taulia averages 10+ more pass attempts per game. Compare common opponents this year and Tyson has the much better numbers, better record and much better points per game vs those opponents. I'm like you, way too many are just assuming Taulia would start over Tyson and I see it going the other way. I very easily can see Tyson starting after Tua is gone. One of them won't finish their career at Ala. I guarantee Taulia and his Dad have looked at that scenario. Will be something to watch till the early signing period.

I agree as I think Tyson may be the better of the 2. Also as someone pointed out just because they have the same last name does not guarantee that he will be as good. Tua is special especially considering he is only 6'1 which says a lot about his ability but his little brother is what 5'11 at best. He would need to be just as special if not more to compete on the same level.

Reactions: jasonvol18
good stuff. subjective question:
how's the competition level between these two, any differences? either one leaps and bounds better than the other? i've never gotten the impression the class Maurer plays in is all that great? have no clue about Taulia's, but i'm wagering it's probably pretty good?

nothing wrong withe either kid's stats...both very impressive.

I'm not sure about Maurer's competition but Taulia plays in the best 7A region in the state. Hoover, Tyson's Hewitt Trussville Team, Taulia's Thompson Team and Undefeated Mountain Brook are all in there plus Vestavia and Spain Park. Thompson hasn't played Trussville or Mtn. Brook and got beat down by Hoover. So Taulia's other 2 toughest games are still on the schedule. Thompson just doesn't run the ball much and throw it 45+ times a game. Both of their stats are impressive.

I was looking at Maurer's team stats. They average 345 passing per game and 112 rushing. So along with Maurer putting up the passing yards per game he also averages 43 rushing yards a game. So 43 of the 112 rushing yards a game is his also. Sounds like he doesn't have much help and his team is horrible defensively. Last 4 games they have lost 52-48, 64-28, 77-67 and 69-13. The stats Maurer is putting up on such a horrible team is incredible. He puts up 31 pts a game, yet is 1-7. 5 of those losses were by 5,3,3,10 and 4. Not many times you score 67 and 48 points and lose both. Put Maurer on a team like Paul Tyson or Taulia play for and he would be a 5* or a high 4* at the very least.

VN Store

Back