AJ Johnson Update [verdict: NOT guilty]

I suspect that the DA's office felt political pressure to carry the case to its conclusion.

Even though procedurally, professionally, the DA may have known the case was weak, the alternative--dropping charges--might have been a political non-starter.

Consider it: the optics, played out in the news media, national and local, of Knox County's DA dropping charges against a Tennessee football player. Especially considering the "arrangement" that then existed between the school and KPD. Political poison to drop charges.

So on the DA slogs, knowing it's a soup sandwich but unable to decline.

That'd be my guess, anyway.

The people who forced this to be prosecuted were David Rausch and Butch Jones. Complain all you want about the accuser and friend dumping their phones - which was suspicious. Far more suspicious is a police officer, who then became police chief and then head of TBI, calling a football coach about a rape investigation prior to evidence searches and interviews. The DA can't fail to present to a Jury when there are elements of a coverup in the first 24 hours of the report.

Based on the phones and social messages. AJ was probably a victim of an injustice, but it is still not certain, largely because there was not a clean investigation. We don't know what happened in the room. We don't know what happened between the time Jones called Johnson and Williams. We do know David Rausch committed police malpractice in this investigation. There was one definitive injustice committed, and that was David Rausch's phone call. It set a series of actions in motion that left the DA with a path only to prosecute.

I hate to see criminals go free and innocent people hurt by the legal system. I hope AJ is able to play lights out, pro bowler, big money contract, for a long, healthy, and happy career. Given the “not guilty” verdict, CJP should invite AJ and other VFLs to speak to the current players about “perception”, accountability, responsibility, and how one night, bad decisions, etc., can change your life.

I think that some type of legislation should be passed to severely punish females who PLAINLY make up lies about rape to harm men. At this point, there is really no down side for them if they accuse someone falsely of rape. What? Public embarrassment? Misdemeanor Charge?
Also, as I understand it, A.J. slept with Drae's girlfriend. If this is true, then A.J. is not an angel because he knowingly slept with his teammates girlfriend.
He should not have been falsely accused of rape and had his NFL career delayed for 3 seasons, but sleeping with your teammates girlfriend is in bad taste.....

Reactions: USMC-TNVOL
I remember reading a story years ago of a mail carrier in East Tennessee who was found guilty of rape by the confession of a young girl. Years later after serving time, losing his family, friends, career, the girl, now grown, recanted. He got nothing.

The people who forced this to be prosecuted were David Rausch and Butch Jones. Complain all you want about the accuser and friend dumping their phones - which was suspicious. Far more suspicious is a police officer, who then became police chief and then head of TBI, calling a football coach about a rape investigation prior to evidence searches and interviews. The DA can't fail to present to a Jury when there are elements of a coverup in the first 24 hours of the report.

Based on the phones and social messages. AJ was probably a victim of an injustice, but it is still not certain, largely because there was not a clean investigation. We don't know what happened in the room. We don't know what happened between the time Jones called Johnson and Williams. We do know David Rausch committed police malpractice in this investigation. There was one definitive injustice committed, and that was David Rausch's phone call. It set a series of actions in motion that left the DA with a path only to prosecute.
Oh god! What a load of bs!

I was just taking what Orangetitanfan said at face value. Didn't even think about it really.
Wasn’t calling YOU out. Not the first (or 5000th) time that question’s been asked in a serious vein. People need remedial arithmetic lessons!

VN Store

Back