Again? Candace Not 1 of 29

Does the "no exceptions" rule apply to Candace Parker? She was already on the U.S. Olympic team in 2008 and 2012. Does that mean you support the decision to exclude her from the 2016 roster based on your "no exceptions" term limit rule?

It means the poster would support the rule IF it applied to ALL players, not just one. But I have a feeling you already knew that.

Reactions: 4 people
Why would you limit the players to a fixed number of years regardless of their skill?...no other nation that wants to win would have such a silly rule and if we were getting beat every Olympics (the rest of the world is catching up, I believe), would you still want to have everyone take a turn rule?? As I recall, we had only non-pros in the Olympics at one point until other nations had national teams that made it hard for us to compete until we lobbied for a rule change.

Reactions: 2 people
Does the "no exceptions" rule apply to Candace Parker? She was already on the U.S. Olympic team in 2008 and 2012. Does that mean you support the decision to exclude her from the 2016 roster based on your "no exceptions" term limit rule?

No, because she wasn’t excluded due to any term limit rule. Other players were selected for the third and fourth time.

Bird and Taurasi looked years younger during the 2016 Olympics. I posted then Candace should have been on the team along with a young guard like Diggins, Sims, Loyd or McBride to help with the inevitable transition.

Sue and Diana deserve to go out on their terms due to their commitment to USA basketball over multiple cycles. I felt the same way about Catchings last year as well.

Reactions: 2 people
I believe Sue and Diana both said last year that with Geno stepping down as Olympic coach, that would probably be their last Olympics. It's still 3 years to the next one, so who knows. I think it would be great to have them both in upcoming camps so their replacements, if any, could learn from them.

Reactions: 1 person
Why would you limit the players to a fixed number of years regardless of their skill?...no other nation that wants to win would have such a silly rule and if we were getting beat every Olympics (the rest of the world is catching up, I believe), would you still want to have everyone take a turn rule?? As I recall, we had only non-pros in the Olympics at one point until other nations had national teams that made it hard for us to compete until we lobbied for a rule change.

Correction: The United States voted against the inclusion of professionals (now in every sport but boxing) in the Olympics prior to the 1992 games in Barcelona. The United States was at a significant disadvantage because of how the I.O.C. had defined amateurism. Because athletes from the former Soviet Union were paid by the government instead of clubs, they were considered amateurs. However, this did lead to our finest ever achievement in the Olympics in 1980 (the Miracle on Ice).

Why would anyone pick Gray she is slow as molasses, her Sparks teammate is better Sims. So is Taurasi by the way :)and now not even able to play in europe,

Why would anyone pick Gray she is slow as molasses, her Sparks teammate is better Sims. So is Taurasi by the way :)and now not even able to play in europe,

Slow? She’s a smart, heady player. Not all about speed but about change of speed and basketball iQ. Which she has both of. Not even going to comment about the oldies that are trying out for the team.
Give some of the younger generation their shine!

Originally Posted by lvocd: There should be a two-Olympics cap for EVERYONE for USA team sports. EVERYONE -- no exceptions.

There are simply too many outstanding young people who never get to experience the Olympics because the same people selfishly take spots over and over and over again.

This should happen out of fairness.

Good read. Thanks!

If and only if these "young people who never get the experience" can actually earn a spot on a team because they are better athletes than the others vying for the same position, should they have the opportunity to fill the slot. No one who can actually show their skills exceed their competitors should be asked to "step aside". The Olympics is about competition between the very best athletes in the world who want to be there (Coaches playing favorites aside).

The Olympic Games ARE NOT about "Turn About's Fair Play". They may as well make humongous podiums all one height so all players from every team gets to stand there and get a participation medal, a Capri Sun and a bag of fresh washed organic grapes (the heirloom kind with seeds cause, you know, seedless grapes are GMO.)

Reactions: 1 person
If and only if these "young people who never get the experience" can actually earn a spot on a team because they are better athletes than the others vying for the same position, should they have the opportunity to fill the slot. No one who can actually show their skills exceed their competitors should be asked to "step aside". The Olympics is about competition between the very best athletes in the world who want to be there (Coaches playing favorites aside).

The Olympic Games ARE NOT about "Turn About's Fair Play". They may as well make humongous podiums all one height so all players from every team gets to stand there and get a participation medal, a Capri Sun and a bag of fresh washed organic grapes (the heirloom kind with seeds cause, you know, seedless grapes are GMO.)

Except we aren't talking about absolutes and expecting better players to step aside in favor of less talented young players. That's how fossils like Swin Cash and Ashja Jones end up on the team. Not because they are the best at their position, but because of so-called intangibles like they "know the system" and crap like that.

If it's the best players in the USA, then Bird and Seimone Augustus wouldn't be on the short list.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back