Advantage or Disadvantage Matchup with OSU?

Your sarcasm and hyperbole doesn't change the fact that Hopson shut down a very good guard yesterday. I understand you're frustrated that he's not all world, but don't let that taint your basketball observations. I'm more worried about JP leaving his man free (pun intended) than Hopson.
ha, you said taint.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

If the Vols want to beat osu, they have to defend the perimeter--absolutely cannot give up too many treys--and on offense we need good shot selection and good shooting. At this stage you cannot waste offensive possessions with turnovers and bonehead decisions, as the Vols have a habit of doing. You can get away with floundering around for 5 minutes against a sds or ohio, but against good teams an ugly stretch will get you beat.

That is true. And I'm also giving you info why we will win.

Saying a name isn't giving info.

We all know who Evan Turner is...

He's the Reggie Miller wannabe that isn't tough and has half the talent. One player isn't scary. Teams win... not players. Michigan State won without Kalin Lucas and tons of cinderellas have advanced. Northern Iowa, Cornell, St. Mary's etc. doesn't rely on one player. Ohio State does and they have no bench.

The one advantage Ohio State has is consistency. Other than when Turner was hurt, they don't lose to inferior teams. The Vols do. On the other hand, the Vols have taken down both Kansas and Kentucky. This is an interesting matchup and could go either way.

Foul trouble could haunt Ohio State more than the Vols. The lack of bench depth hasn't cost them in games this year (for the most part) but it could.

Now, about the game, i love our chances. I really just don't see them beating us, and if they do, it won't be by much and i think we'll have to have a bad game. They simply don't have enough depth. Once we get their starters tired/in foul trouble, they'll have one hell of a time trying to keep up with us. Not to mention, just looking at them player vs. player with us, we match up really well with them. I'd like to see Prince on Turner.

I don't think this point is meritless, but it can't possibly be the final answer. Ohio State has fared very well this year in 40 minute games. Why would they wear out against us?

We have Evan Turner. Thats why...

Evan Turner almost fouled out the last time we played. Four fouls in that loss for OSU. He's gotta be getting tired from playing the entire game all the time. He may not be though. I don't think he goes 40 minutes against us for one reason or the other.

J.P. Prince is nothing compared to him.
Offensively? Sure, Turner has way more offense than JP, but I think you are really underestimating JP as a defender. He's a quick, 6'7 forward with a 6'11 wingspan. Dude has freakishly long arms (similar to Turner). Will he shut Turner down? No way, because you can only hope to contain great players like him and I think JP will contain him. You will be surprised at JP's defense.

It's not always about who's the better all around player. Look at last year's Eastern Conference Finals. Michael Pietrus is not even in the same stratosphere as LeBron James, but the dude guarded him very well and was able to contain LeBron for the most part.

I wonder if we may put a guard on Lighty and use Wayne/Pearl on whichever guard has the least quickness (Diebler?). I doubt we'll ever see Williams and Hall in the game together. Prince will have to guard Turner. I'm not sure who would fare best against Lighty. It may be Maze. After all, despite being a forward, he's the shortest guy on their team. That would leave Chism and Hopson to guard Diebler and Buford.

Bone should guard Turner.

VN Store

Back