Advanced Metrics Nonsense

Some guys only get 8-14 minutes a game for reasons besides "Their coach is a moron." Just my opinion.

BTW, George Karl played Manimal for a total of 17 minutes in their opener....he's probably their 2nd best player. At least top 3. SMH

What do the advanced stats love about the Knicks so much? Just chandler and camby on the glass or what? I dunno the feeling on Melo

What do the advanced stats love about the Knicks so much? Just chandler and camby on the glass or what? I dunno the feeling on Melo

They are a very good rebounding team, yes.

Advanced stats show that Melo would be one of the best players in the league if he just became a set shooter/slasher, instead of primarily a create-a-mid-range-jumper type player. As is he is good, but not great, thus terribly overrated...

New additions to an already good team:

Jason Kidd was still a top 10 PG last year...top 5 on a per minute basis.
Ronnie Brewer was a top 5 SG last year (he's slightly better than Fields).
Camby was still a top 8 C last year...top 3 on a per minute basis.
James White will dunk on anybody (tongue-in-cheek).

You expect Kidd and Camby to slow down a bit, but still those were 3 solid additions. Harrelson showed promise last year. Novak is underrated. Chandler is one of the 10 best players in the league. I fully expect Stoudemire to perform better with a guy like J-Kidd, too.

I might have to rescind my prediction about the Nuggets. Manimal and McGee played a combined 31 minutes. G Karl is unbelievable.

Not really a thread to post this in, so, here...

Chris Paul: 15 assists 1 turnover.

Also, Kobe shot 60% and dropped 40. He's the only one that has looked really good for them. Don't like the guy, but props to him through three games.

They are a very good rebounding team, yes.

Advanced stats show that Melo would be one of the best players in the league if he just became a set shooter/slasher, instead of primarily a create-a-mid-range-jumper type player. As is he is good, but not great, thus terribly overrated...

New additions to an already good team:

Jason Kidd was still a top 10 PG last year...top 5 on a per minute basis.
Ronnie Brewer was a top 5 SG last year (he's slightly better than Fields).
Camby was still a top 8 C last year...top 3 on a per minute basis.
James White will dunk on anybody (tongue-in-cheek).

You expect Kidd and Camby to slow down a bit, but still those were 3 solid additions. Harrelson showed promise last year. Novak is underrated. Chandler is one of the 10 best players in the league. I fully expect Stoudemire to perform better with a guy like J-Kidd, too.

At the end of the day, their best player is Carmelo Anthony who has never won anything and probably never will in the NBA. Amare is out and when he gets back it will be the same song different verse between he and Melo.

If they make the number two spot in the East, then the East is God awful and the Heat can go ahead and pencil in 65 wins and an appearance in the Finals.

Also, Tyson Chandler isn't a top 10 player in the NBA. He's a good player for sure but notions like this are what makes advanced metrics a joke at times.

Not really a thread to post this in, so, here...

Chris Paul: 15 assists 1 turnover.

Also, Kobe shot 60% and dropped 40. He's the only one that has looked really good for them. Don't like the guy, but props to him through three games.

Great players tend to look really good from time to time.

Also, Tyson Chandler isn't a top 10 player in the NBA. He's a good player for sure but notions like this are what makes advanced metrics a joke at times.

I don't really get this. I understand people want to see a versatile scorer who can drop 20, but what is crazy to me is that in a lot of minds he can't fathomly be considered a top 10 player even if it's agreed he was a legitimate DPOY.

Think about it like this:

Best defensive player in the league. Enough said about that end of the floor. I can understand maybe him not being arguably a top 10 player if he were a bumbling idiot on offense. The truth is he makes very very few mistakes. He still contributes on offense (6 O rebounds yesterday, and shot 5/5). He's also a good FT shooter. He's a great screener. He knows his role and plays it to near perfection.

I've often been accused of not valuing defense on this board, but it seems the roles reverse on this one.

Last edited:
I don't really get this. I understand people want to see a versatile scorer who can drop 20, but what is crazy to me is that in a lot of minds he can't fathomly be considered a top 10 player even if it's agreed he was a legitimate DPOY.

Think about it like this:

Best defensive player in the league. Enough said about that end of the floor. I can understand maybe him not being arguably a top 10 player if he were a bumbling idiot on offense. The truth is he makes very very few mistakes. He still contributes on offense (6 O rebounds yesterday, and shot 5/5). He's also a good FT shooter. He's a great screener. He knows his role and plays it to near perfection.

I've often been accused of not valuing defense on this board, but it seems the roles reverse on this one.

He's a very good defender, not great. He's good at a lot of little things but that doesn't make him a top 10 player in the NBA.

He has no offensive game at all and the NBA is void of good talent at the 5. He's not a top 10 player in the NBA and no metric or argument will ever convince me of that.

LMAO

"No offensive game"? I'm sorry this is just ridiculous. He was 7th in offensive rebounds last year, and led the league in FG%. I'll honestly never understand your viewpoint.

LMAO

"No offensive game"? I'm sorry this is just ridiculous. He was 7th in offensive rebounds last year, and led the league in FG%. I'll honestly never understand your viewpoint.

Let's give Chandler the responsibility of creating his own offense, and then see how he does.

Let's give Chandler the responsibility of creating his own offense, and then see how he does.

Good thing it's a team sport, and not 1-on-1. I wouldn't be arguing that he's a top 10 talent if this were a different game.

LMAO

He has no offensive game. No post moves, nothing. He gets garbage baskets over scrubs. Easy to shoot that percentage when 95% of your shots are easy put backs or dunks.

If he was truly a top 10 player in the NBA he would dominate considering the utter lack of talent at that position.

He doesn't.

He's a good player but he's at best the second best player on his team. He's not a top 10 player in the Eastern Conference let alone the entire NBA. Forget metrics and stats, watch the games.

Garbage baskets? Most of Chandler's points come after a screen he set, or an offensive rebound. But he has no offensive game...what you mean is he has no jumpshot, and he has no pivot game. There's a lot more to offense. Watch the games.

Garbage baskets? Most of Chandler's points come after a screen he set, or an offensive rebound. But he has no offensive game...what you mean is he has no jumpshot, and he has no pivot game. There's a lot more to offense. Watch the games.

His offensive game is beyond limited. He's a solid post defender and a good weak side defender. A good rebounder. That's about it.

None of that equals a top ten player.

If there was a re-draft where all players were available he wouldn't get picked in the top 30.

His offensive game is beyond limited. He's a solid post defender and a good weak side defender. A good rebounder. That's about it.

None of that equals a top ten player.

If there was a re-draft where all players were available he wouldn't get picked in the top 30.

Yeah, by the same guys who drafted Olawakandi, Bargnani, Bogut, Kwame, Kenyon, and J Smith as #1 overall picks. They really know basketball when it comes to bigs.

Yeah, by the same guys who drafted Olawakandi, Bargnani, Bogut, Kwame, Kenyon, and J Smith as #1 overall picks. They really know basketball when it comes to bigs.

The difference is, everyone knows what he can do now. It's not a mystery what his skill set it or what the other guys in the NBA can do.

Just for entertainment purposes, name your top ten players in the NBA.

Not in order:

Lebron James
Chris Paul
Kevin Durant
Andre Iguodala
James Harden
Dwight Howard
Kevin Love
Tyson Chandler
Joakim Noah
Dwyane Wade

D Rose might have made it in my top 10 if healthy....

Last edited:
This guy Dre who runs this blog is actually a big Nuggets fan. The Nuggets best players haven't done well to this point, but still it's maddening the way the minutes are distributed:

Sitting Faried because he played a poor quarter is like folding pocket aces in poker because you’ve lost with them the last two times you had them. With Faried and McGee buried in the minutes, Karl is playing the perfect strategy to let the opponent win.

Coaching Advice to the Nuggets from Greg Popovich

VN Store

Back