Admit it, you already dig Montana football

Don't make me come down there, just to put you in a headlock pal.

Montana is the shirt. Trust me.

I take it you are unfamiliar with how we roll down here in the South. I wouldn't live in Montana no matter how much they paid me. It's not like Montana has a football program.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Yes, perhaps...but you are mistaken if you think we look up to you. FCS is a better brand of football because they play a real NC. Heck NAIA is a better brand of football. BCS needs to go away, and good chance it will. Then you go join the rest of the family, and quit being a black sheep brother.
You're a good guy and I've learned enough from you and Seagriz about FCS football to form an opinion. That is I disagree. My argument is that Montana could lose to any BCS team and then go on to win your national championship and it would not cancel out that loss. In other words, the loss to a BCS team was expected and even acceptable, and there would be no controversy.

And if that BCS team won the BCS NC, would anyone even mention they also beat the FCS NC? Other than adding to their strength of schedule i'm not sure it would be noted.

I love football at all levels, but the championship format does not change the fact that D1/BCS is the top of college ball, and the SEC the current best of the best.

I've been to South Bend, Athens, Lexington, Columbia and Blacksburg. I've also been to Boone, NC for an Appy State game. To say that Montana's gameday experience compares to Neyland's on SEC gameday is ludicrous.

I'm sure that it is fun for Montana fans and I'm sure that things can get loud in close quarters, but that experience can't touch 100,000+ fans in a matchup between top 10 schools from the best conference in college football.

Simple fact is that UT is consistently ranked in the top 5 to 10 gameday experiences year in and year out. Take some of those 20 UT fans to Montana and ask them after the game what they think. Bias is one thing, but come on. I love Tennessee high school football, but I don't compare it with what happens on Friday nights in Texas.

Who said anything about talent? Not me....we probably only have 1 guy that would have a chance starting for you. You have more depth, more scholarships, more money, bigger fanbase, bigger stadium, even bigger girls (where it counts). As a Montana fan, I prefer Montana football. Why would I not?

I could see you arguing for Newark over Manhattan!

I've been to South Bend, Athens, Lexington, Columbia and Blacksburg. I've also been to Boone, NC for an Appy State game. To say that Montana's gameday experience compares to Neyland's on SEC gameday is ludicrous.

I'm sure that it is fun for Montana fans and I'm sure that things can get loud in close quarters, but that experience can't touch 100,000+ fans in a matchup between top 10 schools from the best conference in college football.

Simple fact is that UT is consistently ranked in the top 5 to 10 gameday experiences year in and year out. Take some of those 20 UT fans to Montana and ask them after the game what they think. Bias is one thing, but come on. I love Tennessee high school football, but I don't compare it with what happens on Friday nights in Texas.

We are all passionate about our teams. For FBS I've been to Knoxville, Athens, Urbana, South Bend, Eugene, Corvallis and 2 FCS NC's (Huntington & Chattanooga) & a Florida Citrus Bowl, cant remember the year Auburn vs USC when Peete was there. And yes it compares very much so. And yes I know opposing fans dont "get it". In the SI poll from a few years ago, we made #25...not bad for a school the big boys have not heard of.

Recent quote posted on e-griz, that I put on the other thread. This is from an opposing coach in regard to the playing experience.

"I'll tell you what," says Joe Gardi, who has brought his Hofstra Pride to
Missoula three times (and, he's proud to say, won once). "I coached in the NFL
(with the New York Jets) for 10 years and I know what crowd noise is. I
coached at Maryland, I played at Maryland in 19-none-of-your-business, I've
played at Texas, Auburn, LSU, Clemson, in some of the greatest stadiums in the
country. I mean, at LSU they used to prod the tiger with an electric shock to
get him to roar when you came on the field, and it was just unbelievable to a
visiting player."

And?

"In comparison, Montana is a tougher place to play."

Gardi explains.

"Because it's so closed in. The noise is so confined. My granddaughter got so
scared in that place - she was 7 years old - she never let go of her mother
for the whole first quarter.

"One year I gave my pep talk, went down to the field and they've got that
rubber tunnel set up. I thought, that's nice, it's there to keep fans from
throwing anything on us. And I get in there and Monte is there, the flaps are
closed, and I couldn't get on the field. Monte told me I'd better back off,
and I said, 'No, I'm fine.' Then he started that motorcycle and I about jumped
out of my skin. They opened the flaps and the crowd just went crazy.

"That thing with Monte, the big-screen TV - I'm doing a time out one time and
I look up and Tom Cruise is on the screen doing that dance from 'Risky
Business,' and I'm watching it! I thought, 'What the heck am I doing, am I
crazy?' - it's all just an unbelievable advantage for the home team."

Last edited:
We are all passionate about our teams. For FBS I've been to Knoxville, Athens, Urbana, South Bend, Eugene, Corvallis and 2 FCS NC's (Huntington & Chattanooga) & a Florida Citrus Bowl, cant remember the year Auburn vs USC when Peete was there. And yes it compares very much so. And yes I know opposing fans dont "get it". In the SI poll from a few years ago, we made #25...not bad for a school the big boys have not heard of.

Recent quote posted on e-griz, that I put on the other thread. This is from an opposing coach in regard to the playing experience.

I understand that the noise level may make it difficult to play due to the close quarters. I'm mainly speaking of the experience as a whole. A few years back, when we were consistently in the top 10, the experience of coming to Neyland to see UT/UF or UT/Bama, etc is the tops, in my opinion. The ramifications, the rivalries, the noise, the river, etc.

Just for the hell of it, ordigger...

Knoxville or Eugene?

Autzen is the loudest ( vs USC), but I would give advantage to Neyland for game day, but I never was able to get to a Civil War game either.

Lived in Keizer before getting transferred to Knoxville.

I understand that the noise level may make it difficult to play due to the close quarters. I'm mainly speaking of the experience as a whole. A few years back, when we were consistently in the top 10, the experience of coming to Neyland to see UT/UF or UT/Bama, etc is the tops, in my opinion. The ramifications, the rivalries, the noise, the river, etc.

And I'm not dogging it. All I said was I preferred Montana's, and that for a school our size it is quite impressive. But that choice is based on my favorite school.

Heck I went to a small NAIA school, Montana Tech (Orediggers), and every year when we play Rocky Mountain College, they would serve Rocky Mountain oysters......nothing beats THAT game day experience. I still have nightmares about it. I'll let the uniformed google it.

I take it you are unfamiliar with how we roll down here in the South. I wouldn't live in Montana no matter how much they paid me. It's not like Montana has a football program.

I would live in Montana for free. Football aside, the most beautiful place in the country.

And I'm not dogging it. All I said was I preferred Montana's, and that for a school our size it is quite impressive. But that choice is based on my favorite school.

Heck I went to a small NAIA school, Montana Tech (Orediggers), and every year when we play Rocky Mountain College, they would serve Rocky Mountain oysters......nothing beats THAT game day experience. I still have nightmares about it. I'll let the uniformed google it.

I understand and appreciate your position, man. I went and teach at ETSU and I try to defend our basketball program fairly often. I just had to say my piece.

A place where your nearest neighbor is about twenty miles away, no thanks.

A place where you can see no other human being for weeks, twenty miles away......still. One of the strangest things I saw in Tennessee were the back country roads were paved. Sort of defeats the purpose of living in the country. But to each our own. I enjoyed my time there immensely, and would still be there if I hadnt gotten transferred again.

Neyland Stadium is one of the true cathedrals of college football, one in which titans regularly wage war. I also had my office there for several years during grad school (Anthropology) and virtually all of my classes then were held within its confines, so Neyland is a facility with which I am even more intimately familiar than most of you.

By comparison, Washington-Grizzly Stadium is like the Chapel of the Transfiguration (Grand Teton National Park), a cozy but raucous arena. Ordigger quoted the following statement by Joe Gardi, who brought his Hofstra Pride to Missoula three times: “I've played at Texas, Auburn, LSU, Clemson, in some of the greatest stadiums in the country. . . . In comparison, Montana is a tougher place to play because it's so closed in. The noise is so confined.” Some of you may scoff at this, but that perspective is all the more impressive when you consider that the largest single attendance at Washington-Grizzly Stadium was 26,019 when the Griz played their instate rival Montana State on 11/20/2010 (Washington?Grizzly Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ).

Personally, I certainly prefer our venerable old giant on the Tennessee River. As for location, however, I will take Montana any day of the week and twice on Sunday; it is a spiritually powerful landscape. My running joke with Montanans is that I automatically place greater credence in their opinions than those of the average person due to the fact that, purely by virtue of their state of residence, they are closer to God.

Last edited:
I would live in Montana for free. Football aside, the most beautiful place in the country.

I wholeheartedly concur. Unfortunately, economic opportunities (i.e. financially lucrative jobs) are hard to find there, but Montana is very special. Even states, such as Colorado, which can at least compete with Montana, in terms of natural beauty, cannot match the experience of wilderness solitude which Montana offers.

The point isn't which is a better team, but what is the better brand/format.

If the mission is to watch the best teams why watch college football? The worst team in the NFL would wax Tennessee or Auburn.

Remember in 2009 when undefeated Utah was left out of the championship game and went on to destroy #4 Alabama in the Sugar Bowl? That is the reason the BCS is an inferior format. It doesn't allow the best teams to compete for the championship.
NFL is irrelevant. I'm talking about college football. Besides the bcs format FBS is 10 times better football than FCS football...My point is I'll take the FBS and our bowl format with our teams play over the FCS and that football any day of the week. The BCS may be flawed but It beats the hell out of watching montana vs portland st.

NFL is irrelevant. I'm talking about college football. Besides the bcs format FBS is 10 times better football than FCS football...My point is I'll take the FBS and our bowl format with our teams play over the FCS and that football any day of the week. The BCS may be flawed but It beats the hell out of watching montana vs portland st.

One man's junk is another man's treasure. I agree with you somewhat. Now Montana vs Montana State....oh yeah baby! Heck yes!! FBS who? Heck I'd watch App State/Georgia Southern before I'd watch Auburn/Georgia.

Think of this way....

The guy across the street owns a Enzo Ferrari. Its a great looking car, worth a lot of money; but is flawed and broken down thus your neighbor has to keep his car in the garage. You on the other hand own a Ford Mustang, its a nice car in its own right but the best thing about it is it runs perfectly. There are no flaws in your car. Every night, you can hit the streets driving up and down showing off you car. Sure your neighbors car is probably worth much more, even broken down but sadly since its broken not everyone can share in your neighbors glory. However with you car, all the community can see it, some may stick their noses up over up or look the other way - but the Mustang just keeps on running like a well oiled machine.

What car would you want to be? I'd rather be the Mustang hands down.

btw Ford Mustang equals FCS, and Enzo Ferrari equals FBS.

When that Enzo Ferrari gets fixed though, there is no doubt at level, in anyone's mind that its the best car in town.

Cue Ashley and his Beamer.....

Last edited:
16add9e9f4eeba9c988e854.jpg

The only thing I dig about midget griZzlies is making bear skin caps out of them. After all they are too small for rugs.

Almost forgot the littlest of them are good for gaurding yard gnomes once you get them trained.

Apparently MT football fans are like the Jevohas Witnesses of cfb. They seem nice so you invite them in to talk the first time. Thereafter you have to flip off the lights and hide to get them to leave.
Just wait till they start putting flyers of their MN FB team on your car.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back