Absence of SEC titles hurts Leak

LetMeStay

HOOVER, Ala. — Chris Leak came to Florida laden with great expectations.

The quarterback is now a senior. His resume is void of SEC and national championships.

Leak has endured coaching changes, been asked to learn a variety of offenses. This is the first time he has had the same offensive coordinator for two years.

Despite some impressive numbers, it seems Leak has been judged more by what he can't do than what he has accomplished.

It comes with the territory.

Quarterbacks live with it. Especially Florida quarterbacks.

This is Leak's last shot at the hardware. He is 22-11 as a starter. His team won nine games last season, including an impressive bowl game. He beat Tennessee, Georgia and Florida State.

Still, critics fire away at him.

He can't run. He isn't suited for second-year Florida Coach Urban Meyer's offense. He can't do this. He can't do that.

"The bar has been set at Florida,'' Meyer said. "The 1992-96 teams won four SEC championships and a national championship. That's how you evaluate teams.''

It's also how quarterbacks are remembered at Florida. Blame former coach Steve Spurrier. It was his Fun 'N Gun offense of the '90s that made folk heroes of quarterbacks who benefited from a Spurrier-orchestrated offense that kept opposing SEC defensive coordinators awake at night.

Leak doesn't want to leave empty-handed.

He was invited by former Ole Miss and NFL star Archie Manning to serve as an instructor this summer in the Manning Passing Academy in Louisiana.

Leak soaked up advice and information from the Manning family — Archie, Eli and Peyton. Not a bad sounding board for young quarterbacks.

"I wanted to know how they learned to be leaders. I asked them a lot of questions — how they grew as leaders and players,'' Leak said.

Leak's personality is one that finds him shunning controversy. His father was quoted in a recent online column as saying he feels there are some fans who judge Chris by the color of his skin.

Leak dodged the questions here Friday. He said he and his father talk every day, but they have never discussed the race issue, whether real or perceived.

"I worry more about what a defense is doing,'' Leak said.

Leak also has to fight the aura of freshman phenom Tim Tebow, who came to campus in January and looked impressive in the Gators' spring game. He has been tagged The Anointed One by some who forget Tebow is only 18 years old.

If Leak falters, fans will be screaming for Meyer to play Tebow. Spoiled by Spurrier's success, they have short fuses when it comes to Florida football.

Leak arrived with similar accolades. He was the nation's No. 1 quarterback coming out of the prep ranks in Charlotte, N.C.

"As a quarterback, it's important to me,'' he said. "The expectation as a Gator is to compete for an SEC championship."

He and his receivers have set a goal to put up 50 passing TDs.

One SEC championship is all the Gator Nation wants. n

He predicted throwing 50 TD passes this year...ha!

Last year he predicted throwing 4500 yards and only threw for 2600.

I am sure Daddy Leak is considering having another child since his first two won't play in the NFL.

50?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!?!?????!?!?!?!!?!??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
?!?!?!!??!!??!?!?!???!?!!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!?!??!?!??!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

I can't wait for D-linemen and backers to read this. I bet there are a few more hours spent in the training room in preparation for teeing-off from the blindside.

Ya know. I actually feel just a little bit sorry for him. It sucks to have parents like his father.

The rest he brings on himself though.

I'll feel as bad for Crissy as soon as I feel bad for Simms. :cry:

Those Leaks blame everyone for everything.

Remember Chris Leak's diary? He said he didn't trust UT's staff because they promised his brother playing time, and when CJ couldn't cut it, it was UT's coaches' fault. He made it out to look like they promised CJ playing time without having to compete for it.

Replace 'talent' with 'SEC titles' and it'd be a more accurate sentence.

seriously does anyone think he is anything special other than himself and the gators? A bunch of florida fans still think he should win heisman. Every year he comes in in the top5 preseason in the race and every year he doesnt get it done. Everyone always says, this year is his year, and it never is.

(volsfan711 @ Jul 29 said:
seriously does anyone think he is anything special other than himself and the gators? A bunch of florida fans still think he should win heisman. Every year he comes in in the top5 preseason in the race and every year he doesnt get it done. Everyone always says, this year is his year, and it never is.
I think he's the most overrated quarterback in college football myself.....I have several friends that are Gator fans and they think he can walk on water.....Not all Florida fans think hat of him but the ones I know do...and I don't see where the get that from.....He's never really impressed me...I think this year he'll spend more time picking himself up off the ground than throwing TD passes

(#10_Ainge_#10 @ Jul 31 said:
I think he's the most overrated quarterback in college football myself.....I have several friends that are Gator fans and they think he can walk on water.....Not all Florida fans think hat of him but the ones I know do...and I don't see where the get that from.....He's never really impressed me...I think this year he'll spend more time picking himself up off the ground than throwing TD passes

He ripped us apart in 2004. We still won, though.

Leak sucks, and his daddy plays the race card. Real smooth. Guess it's a family tradition to not live up to the hype, and blame others. (Fulmer, fans, etc.)

I can't wait to put this on Youtube.

Not many people saw this, but when they were showing the sideline view of Tennessee's players jumping up and down after Wilhoit's FG in '04, CJ Leak put his head down and started walking off the field dejectedly.

He was still a Vol then. And I always said to myself, "WHY??" "Why are you mad??"

(Jasongivm6 @ Aug 1 said:
I can't wait to put this on Youtube.

Not many people saw this, but when they were showing the sideline view of Tennessee's players jumping up and down after Wilhoit's FG in '04, CJ Leak put his head down and started walking off the field dejectedly.
He was still a Vol then. And I always said to myself, "WHY??" "Why are you mad??"

Let us know when its on YouTube and what to find it under.

Such venom!! Here's my take.

His Dad is a race-baiting moron who does not know what he is talking about.

Chris Leak has an exceptional arm, he is very intelligent, and he has a decent chance to be successful in the NFL if he can be on a team where he does not have to run the ball. He is a pure drop back passer with no speed under him, like, say, Marino.

In terms of his personality, I've never seen him say or do anything wrong. He works very hard and he wants to be successful. I just haven't seen any evidence since he got to Florida that he is anything other than a great kid with a bright future.

He has, however, been caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. Multiple offensive systems over his time there, no consistency in the coaching staff, and while the receiver coprs has been very good, the offensive line has been a problem for awhile as no one has really recruited hard for that part of the team since before Spurrier left.

Wartch him this year. He may or may not win an SECC, but he'll try every game and he can throw a dart 40 yards to a moving target.

I could be dead wrong, but when I see Leak in a game situation it seems like his height forces him to put a little loop in the flight path of the ball, especially for long throws.

Everytime I have heard him speak he does appear to be all business, but his stature may be a hinderance to an NFL career.

(Lexvol @ Aug 1 said:
I could be dead wrong, but when I see Leak in a game situation it seems like his height forces him to put a little loop in the flight path of the ball, especially for long throws.

Everytime I have heard him speak he does appear to be all business, but his stature may be a hinderance to an NFL career.

I don't totally disagree with you on that. But he does have a strong and accurate arm and he'll study film late into the night to gain whatever advantage he can. If the draft were held today, he's probably a second rounder. May even drop to third. But I do think he will survive in the NFL for awhile, as hard as he works.

(lawgator1 @ Aug 1 said:
I don't totally disagree with you on that. But he does have a strong and accurate arm and he'll study film late into the night to gain whatever advantage he can. If the draft were held today, he's probably a second rounder. May even drop to third. But I do think he will survive in the NFL for awhile, as hard as he works.

For all the people on this board that rag on him, I wish we had him. I know we wouldn't have gone 5-6 last year if we had. Also, none of the guys that have been starting for us would have even seen the field. Vols that say that he is untalented and they don't want him are just talking crazy.

(kptvol @ Aug 1 said:
For all the people on this board that rag on him, I wish we had him. I know we wouldn't have gone 5-6 last year if we had. Also, none of the guys that have been starting for us would have even seen the field. Vols that say that he is untalented and they don't want him are just talking crazy.

Leak is "ragged on" because like Chris Simms, he left UT at the altar. You cannot blame the fans for their ill will.

(Lexvol @ Aug 1 said:
Leak is "ragged on" because like Chris Simms, he left UT at the altar. You cannot blame the fans for their ill will.

I understand that, but a lot of people on this board also call him untalented. Spurning the Vols doesn't make you untalented.

(volmanjr @ Aug 1 said:
untalented and overrated are 2 different things

No way he's more overrated than Ainge was last year in pretty much every preseason magazine.

Ainge being overated has nothing to do with Leak being overated.

VN Store

Back