A&M to Big 10 rumor

A&M Class of '79 here. MS in '81 as well.

I came to A&M from Connecticut, so I had no pre-conceived ideas about the A&M/Texas rivalry. That said, it didn't take long to realize people from the University of Texas have an arrogance that goes beyond any I've ever personally experienced. No need for examples, it just exists.

I was thrilled when A&M joined the SEC. However, in my opinion, the SEC back then is not the same SEC today. Back then, the SEC gave A&M the opportunity to free themselves from that dictatorial institution in Austin. And to be the sole representative from Texas. It's been a great ride...and regardless of what Texas said back then, we didn't need them, and haven't looked back. Now, Texas is joining the SEC, which obviously is a money grab for them and the SEC. Outside of money, I can't see the cultural fit with the SEC.

I'm surprised by all the hate on this board toward A&M. We moved to Blount County back in 2009. Two of our daughters have degrees from the University of Tennessee. All of our neighbors are UT fans...and none of them have cast any ill will toward me or A&M. In fact, my next door neighbor went to the UT/A&M football game at College Station in 2016...and said, in spite of the loss, it was a great experience.

My personal feeling...I would welcome the opportunity to join the Big 10 after Texas joins the SEC. I base that on the mere fact that Texas has a history of dictating their demands and desires in whatever conference they're in. The SEC we know and love today is gone as soon as Texas becomes a member...and it will only get worse.
I would have preferred Texas not being in the SEC. I was surprised when they applied to join. I was surprised again when the SEC said YES. We didn't need them and they don't fit well. People complain some about traditions at A&M. They need to look around the nation at all the blue and green haired wack jobs trying to destroy the country. We have a great NEED to preserve the traditions that have held us together for 250 years. I have NO problem with A&M.

Reactions: tbwhhs and Kdbnab1
For those wanting to rename the conference - southeastern is still applicable if the country is just north / south and east / west.

It is the ACC that has a big problem with the name and the Big 10 which has more than 10 schools.
It's not a desire to rename the conference but another reason to yell about something.

And now for something completely different to wail about. If its called the Southeastern Conference, why is the abbreviation and chant frequently heard in stadiums S-E-C? It should just be S-C, right? Personally, I'm outraged about that.

This rumor makes sense when you look at the academic requirements at aTm. Good strategy by the B1G to expand their media market. ESPN would love this. Their commissioner is winning the chess game with the SEC. I could see them going after UGA, Miami, or Florida next. They have higher academic standards also.
I don’t think ATM has tougher requirements than UT these days. The UT acceptance rate got cut in half last year, according to what I saw the other night. Plus, an Aggiewire article I saw from a year ago had ATM and UT as similar acceptance rates (A&M was 64 to 75 for UT) before UT’s got cut way down. I saw another article about student ACT scores at SEC schools and UT and A&M were basically the same. It was a weird breakdown but the middle 50% of UT students ranged from 24-30 while A&M ranged 25-30. That article was from 2020 and I know UT has only gotten more stringent since then. Where are you seeing that ATM has stringent requirements different than someone like UT? You didn’t say that exactly but your wording makes it seem like you think ATM stands out from most SEC schools so I’m curious what it’s based on.

Define "southeast". Geographically, most of TX, MO, and OK are in the southeast portion of the US. Culturally, they are more similar to the southeast than other areas of the country. All were primarily settled by people who migrated from the southeast in search of land claims. Historically, TX was a confederate state, most of the Oklahoma territory sided with the south, MO was a border state like KY that had a mini-Civil War fought within its own boundaries. Most sympathies were with the south. The long running antagonism with Kansas is a remnant of Civil War hatred.

Culturally today, all three are more "southern" than Florida.
Disagree. I’ve spent a lot of time in MO including over a decent bit of the state. I didn’t ever think it’s similar to being in a Southern state.

I may be proved wrong about Texas, but I'm not especially worried about them. They're a big, successful program in a conference chock full of big, successful programs. When it comes to big TV money and revenue distribution, none of us is as big as all of us. They'll be smart enough to recognize they're the beneficiary of where they are. It still wouldn't shock me if they make noise at some point about proportional revenue distribution the same way Florida State and Clemson want that from the ACC. It also wouldn't shock me if the conference response to something like that is "don't let the door hit you on the way out".

Greg Sankey probably has the clout to tell Texas to stay in their lane when they join the SEC.

Not sure how long it is... but I recently crossed it at Dyersburg on my way to Mississippi.

Anyone who truly doubts the "southern" bona fides of Missouri needs to visit Lambert's Cafe in Sikeston. We stopped there on our way back... and had hog jowls, catfish, fried okra, corn bread, turnip greens, and fried potatoes with onions.

One of the funny things about this conversation is that a lot of my north MO neighbors get asked what part of the south they're from when they meet people from further north. I've met people in southern Illinois that sounded like they were from south GA.
So there are some parts then. I haven’t hit them but then again I bet a lot of states have such areas, more than people think. Did they have sweet tea?

A&M Class of '79 here. MS in '81 as well.

I came to A&M from Connecticut, so I had no pre-conceived ideas about the A&M/Texas rivalry. That said, it didn't take long to realize people from the University of Texas have an arrogance that goes beyond any I've ever personally experienced. No need for examples, it just exists.

I was thrilled when A&M joined the SEC. However, in my opinion, the SEC back then is not the same SEC today. Back then, the SEC gave A&M the opportunity to free themselves from that dictatorial institution in Austin. And to be the sole representative from Texas. It's been a great ride...and regardless of what Texas said back then, we didn't need them, and haven't looked back. Now, Texas is joining the SEC, which obviously is a money grab for them and the SEC. Outside of money, I can't see the cultural fit with the SEC.

I'm surprised by all the hate on this board toward A&M. We moved to Blount County back in 2009. Two of our daughters have degrees from the University of Tennessee. All of our neighbors are UT fans...and none of them have cast any ill will toward me or A&M. In fact, my next door neighbor went to the UT/A&M football game at College Station in 2016...and said, in spite of the loss, it was a great experience.

My personal feeling...I would welcome the opportunity to join the Big 10 after Texas joins the SEC. I base that on the mere fact that Texas has a history of dictating their demands and desires in whatever conference they're in. The SEC we know and love today is gone as soon as Texas becomes a member...and it will only get worse.
I had the great privilege of going to a game at A&M. I was with some Nebraska fans and we went down to see Nebraska and A&M play back in 2002. Of course, I wore a bright orange Tennessee shirt just to confuse everyone and start conversation. It worked well! But that was an awesome game experience. There were no scalpers, which was odd to me, and we needed an extra ticket. We started asking around and found one anyway. Everyone was super nice and during the game the entire crowd was into the game, not just the students. I think people stood the whole time if I recall correctly and come halftime no one left the stands. They stayed to watch the band. The band had super tight formations and zero sets. They moved the entire time, which was impressive. The crowd had coordinated cheers and stayed engaged the entire time. I’m sure it helped that it was exciting game against a big name conference opponent. Unfortunately for the A&M fans, Nebraska came back to win from down 17 in the 4th quarter. Had that happened to UT the strip would’ve been horribly depressing. We stayed and partied with fans after the game and they were nothing but nice and gracious, including to the Nebraska fans. The party went on and everyone had a great time even though the game didn’t go their way. It was a fantastic experience overall and I’d recommend to anyone they go see a game in College Station. It’s certainly unique and a staple in college football.

I had the great privilege of going to a game at A&M. I was with some Nebraska fans and we went down to see Nebraska and A&M play back in 2002. Of course, I wore a bright orange Tennessee shirt just to confuse everyone and start conversation. It worked well! But that was an awesome game experience. There were no scalpers, which was odd to me, and we needed an extra ticket. We started asking around and found one anyway. Everyone was super nice and during the game the entire crowd was into the game, not just the students. I think people stood the whole time if I recall correctly and come halftime no one left the stands. They stayed to watch the band. The band had super tight formations and zero sets. They moved the entire time, which was impressive. The crowd had coordinated cheers and stayed engaged the entire time. I’m sure it helped that it was exciting game against a big name conference opponent. Unfortunately for the A&M fans, Nebraska came back to win from down 17 in the 4th quarter. Had that happened to UT the strip would’ve been horribly depressing. We stayed and partied with fans after the game and they were nothing but nice and gracious, including to the Nebraska fans. The party went on and everyone had a great time even though the game didn’t go their way. It was a fantastic experience overall and I’d recommend to anyone they go see a game in College Station. It’s certainly unique and a staple in college football.
That is the way classy fanbases operate. Your blue blood schools are mostly that way. Every school deserves to have a decent fanbase with civility. The behavior in the SEC sometimes is just plain juvenile. After all, this is just a game and not that important in life. My favorite road trip was to Baton Rouge where their fans invited us to come party before and after the game. Not every school is like Georgia or Florida where the behvior is ridiculous.

So there are some parts then. I haven’t hit them but then again I bet a lot of states have such areas, more than people think. Did they have sweet tea?
Of course. And Dale Earnhardt pictures. Not Junior. The real one.

Actually most of Missouri is like that. Atlanta isn't "southern" now. I'm not sure you can claim that Nashville is.

In truth though, the labels invented for college conferences don't mean much now. Definitely not what they did 80 years ago.

Reactions: hUTch2002
I would gladly go back to this if it was possible. Let South Carolina take Sewanne's place.
1000000651.jpg

With the additions of Texas and Oklahoma, the SEC still maintains a contiguous map. Every state with an SEC school has an unbroken connection to every other state with an SEC member. South Carolina is the only SEC member state which doesn't border at least 2 other states with an SEC member school. They only border Georgia. While it's not perfect, the SEC geography makes so much more sense than the ACC, Big 10 and Big 12 maps do.

Also, 12 of the 16 SEC members are flagship state university locations. It all serves to make for a great brand. The whining should stop. This is easily the best sports conference. Texas A&M would be fools to leave it, and Texas would be foolish to rock the boat they just boarded. The collective clout that this league will have going forward will render the NCAA's governing body obsolete.

Last edited:
Of course. And Dale Earnhardt pictures. Not Junior. The real one.

Actually most of Missouri is like that. Atlanta isn't "southern" now. I'm not sure you can claim that Nashville is.

In truth though, the labels invented for college conferences don't mean much now. Definitely not what they did 80 years ago.
Well I’ve been all around KC and surrounding areas, St Louis, down to Springfield, etc. and I didn’t get a Southern feel at all. Country for sure, especially headed towards Springfield, but not Southern. Every state I’ve seen has a country element though. Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and on and on. I think to accurately determine who is and isn’t Southern we would have to define it first but that’s too much work so I’ll leave this right here.

With the additions of Texas and Oklahoma, the SEC still maintains a contiguous map. Every state with an SEC school has an unbroken connection to every other state with an SEC member. South Carolina is the only SEC member state which doesn't border at least 2 other states with an SEC member school. They only border Georgia. While it's not perfect, the SEC geography makes so much more sense than the ACC, Big 10 and Big 12 maps do.

Also, 12 of the 16 SEC members are flagship state university locations. It all serves to make for a great brand. The whining should stop. This is easily the best sports conference. Texas A&M would be fools to leave it, and Texas would be foolish to rock the boat they just boarded. The collective clout that this league will have going forward will render the NCAA's governing body obsolete.
I think the bolded part is very important to Sankey and the conference overall. The only way I could see that changing is if Notre Dame came out of nowhere decided that they wanted to join the SEC. And the likelihood of that is about 0.0001% . It’ll be interesting to see what happens when the ACC falls apart. I hate to see that, but I’m starting to see that it will become a reality sometime in the not so distant future.

I think the bolded part is very important to Sankey and the conference overall. The only way I could see that changing is if Notre Dame came out of nowhere decided that they wanted to join the SEC. And the likelihood of that is about 0.0001% . It’ll be interesting to see what happens when the ACC falls apart. I hate to see that, but I’m starting to see that it will become a reality sometime in the not so distant future.
Well, Indiana does share a border with Kentucky! - and Missouri, although who knows if they'll remain.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Prolly nowhere; I was squinting at Google maps, which doesn’t do much with showing state lines. 🤪 I thought there was a bit down in the southwest, but obv not.
no one cares about Southern Illinois. It could be Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, or Missouri, and it'd still be totally unimportant so no worries

Reactions: VolNExile
Well I’ve been all around KC and surrounding areas, St Louis, down to Springfield, etc. and I didn’t get a Southern feel at all. Country for sure, especially headed towards Springfield, but not Southern. Every state I’ve seen has a country element though. Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and on and on. I think to accurately determine who is and isn’t Southern we would have to define it first but that’s too much work so I’ll leave this right here.
They grow a lot of cotton in the bootheel. Felt Southern to me.

Reactions: VolNExile
Wait. What?
Well, I tend to forget about the state of Illinois.

So I was squinting at Google Maps, confirming that I wasn’t dreaming when I remembered all the times I had crossed from Kentucky into Indiana on my way from Knoxville to the bright lights of Terre Haute, and oh look! There’s St. Louis too!! Ever so close to Evansville! and nothing but corn in between. (Remember, Google Maps doesn’t show state lines unless you force it too, and reluctantly even then.)

Thus my post. Note that I was in the middle of final exams, and although I could tell you far more than you’d ever want to know about biotic homogenization in diverse urban settings, state lines were not something that my brain was able to retrieve at that point.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14

VN Store

Back