A Little Perspective

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A distinguished colleague of mine emailed me to ask my opinion of the current situation regarding Our Beloved Vols.

This is more or less what I wrote back:

One of the things I try to do in my "Tennessee vs The Maxims" columns is to call it right down the middle. Praise what is praiseworthy and point out that which is not.

I can't say for sure, but I think the UTAD is VERY concerned about appearing to be a coaching "merry-go-round" what with FOUR (Fulmer, Kiffin, Dooley, Jones) football coaches and four (Pearl, Martin, Tyndall, Barnes) basketball coaches in the last decade.

So let's tale a gander at where UT Sports were just ten years ago:

In 2007:
Philip Fulmer led the football team to a 10-4 record with appearances in the SECCG (lost to LSU) and the Outback Bowl (beat Wisconsin) and ended up ranked 12th in nation
Bruce Pearl led the BasketVols to a 24-6 record and lost in the Sweet 16 to Ohio State.
The Volettes under Pat Summit went 34-3 and won the NC.

And fans still b*tched. I can recall any number of posts about "upper-level mediocrity" or "Jimmy, when we gowin' get a cowitch?" or "Fulmer needs to go" and other hogwash.

The b*tching fans got exactly what they wanted.

And now they b*tch about that.

Ad infinitum ...
[/FONT]

One has nothing to do with the other. Bottom line is that these coaches are paid a lot of money to win and given the resources to do so. The basketball program is looking up, but football is stagnant and the second tier coaches that have been hired since Fulmer aren't going to nor have gotten it done.

The coaching merry go round wouldn’t be nearly as controversial if our AD hadn’t made ridiculous hires in Kiffin and Dools

Reactions: 4 people
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A distinguished colleague of mine emailed me to ask my opinion of the current situation regarding Our Beloved Vols.

One of the things I try to do in my "Tennessee vs The Maxims" columns is to call it right down the middle. Praise what is praiseworthy and point out that which is not.

I can't say for sure, but I think the UTAD is VERY concerned about appearing to be a coaching "merry-go-round" what with FOUR (Fulmer, Kiffin, Dooley, Jones) football coaches and four (Pearl, Martin, Tyndall, Barnes) basketball coaches in the last decade.

In 2007:
Philip Fulmer led the football team to a 10-4 record with appearances in the SECCG (lost to LSU) and the Outback Bowl (beat Wisconsin) and ended up ranked 12th in nation
Bruce Pearl led the BasketVols to a 24-6 record and lost in the Sweet 16 to Ohio State.

And fans still b*tched. I can recall any number of posts about "upper-level mediocrity" or "Jimmy, when we gowin' get a cowitch?" or "Fulmer needs to go" and other hogwash.

Ad infinitum ...
[/FONT]

Good try on rewriting history. Fulmer had two losing seasons in his last four. The SEC was passing him by with Reict Saban, and Myer at Florida. The program was going down hill at the time and losing momentum with a coach who was very average without David Cutcliff. Fulmer had ticked off the Clausen family and we were no longer recruiting on the same level as the past.

But if you want to blame the fans go right ahead. You will not find a more dedicated fan base in the country. These fans had to eat 3 bad hires by the AD in the last 10 years and I am surprised they are still hanging around.

And when you see more and more Alabama stickers on cars it is because people are getting tired of your spew. At least Bama shoots for excellence and if UT does not wake up we will be the new Vandy of this century.

Reactions: 4 people

In 2007:

Ad infinitum ...
[/FONT]

These comments suck. Can we find a replacement?

I still think it was a mistake in firing Fulmer. And you still have people defending it and in denial about what's gone on since then.

We've won just as many titles since we fired him as we did in his final 10 seasons. So no, I don't think so.

Reactions: 3 people
You are exactly right. There are people that said Fulmer ran the program into the ditch and thats BS. Oh Cut was the only reason for his success. BS as well. The fact is we ran of a HOF coach and have been pretty much irrelevant ever since.

Fans can deny all they want but my last sentence is fact.

We were irrelevant before as well.

Fulmer should have been fired after 2005.

Reactions: 2 people

In 2007:

Ad infinitum ...
[/FONT]

Your post doesn't make sense. Nobody was *****ing about the basketball programs at the time. That has nothing to do with Fulmer running the program off a cliff.

Reactions: 3 people
STFU,
No it wasn't. Fulmer was done. Do you think Saban or Spurrier would ever let their programs decline to lltwo losing seasons in 4 years? No.

Spurrier quit on his team in the middle of the season to avoid a losing season in his final season before being asked to leave.

5 SEC Championship game appearances in the last 11 years with 2 victories in them. An SECCG appearance in which he was one play away from winning the game the year before he was fired. Yeah, he sure let the program slip.

As mentioned earlier, UT has been a laughing stock since Fulmer was fired with Kiffin, Dooley, and Butch having no respect from anyone in the coaching fraternity, the SEC, or the media. All 3 are buffoons.

You are exactly right. There are people that said Fulmer ran the program into the ditch and thats BS. Oh Cut was the only reason for his success. BS as well. The fact is we ran of a HOF coach and have been pretty much irrelevant ever since.

Fans can deny all they want but my last sentence is fact.

You're the one in denial or you just have a failure to understand basic math.

Fulmer's last four years at UT come in at a record of 29-21

Compared to BUtch's first four years which are 30-21.

One ran the program down to those numbers, one brought it up to those numbers.

So are you bad at math, have a faulty memory or just don't give enough F#%^S to not be a hypocrite?

Open question.

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah because every possible move going the wrong way since Fulmer is totally unrelated us to firing him.

Firing him wasn't the mistake though. Hiring Lane Kiffin was. Had we hired Gary Patterson or someone else who could have won here instead, I doubt anyone would be talking about how firing Fulmer was a mistake.

yeah OP...such is life...look at it this way...the pay isn't that good but we get all the overtime we want...:)

PS. the future is now...:)

GO VOLS!

You're the one in denial or you just have a failure to understand basic math.

Fulmer's last four years at UT come in at a record of 29-21

Compared to BUtch's first four years which are 30-21.

One ran the program down to those numbers, one brought it up to those numbers.

So are you bad at math, have a faulty memory or just don't give enough F#%^S to not be a hypocrite?

Open question.

Nobody knows how the 2009 season would have went with Fulmer. Please dont embarass yourself by saying you do. For all we know, we could have won the SEC. The fact is ever since Fulmer we have been pretty irrelevant. Fulmer did not run the program into the ditch.

2 years out of 16 seasons doesnt define a career. Your opinion is noted.

In 2007:

Ad infinitum ...
[/FONT]

Fulmer had a 29-21 record his last five seasons. He got what he deserved when he couldn't even meet the eight win is enough criteria of his last contract.

Pearl wasn't exactly pushed out by the fans.

We all know the unfortunate situation with Summit.

Implying that "b^^ching" by the fans had anything to do with Pearl or Summit or that it wasn't time for Fulmer to go, that, my friend, is truly hogwash.

Good try on rewriting history. Fulmer had two losing seasons in his last four. The SEC was passing him by with Reict Saban, and Myer at Florida. The program was going down hill at the time and losing momentum with a coach who was very average without David Cutcliff. Fulmer had ticked off the Clausen family and we were no longer recruiting on the same level as the past.

But if you want to blame the fans go right ahead. You will not find a more dedicated fan base in the country. These fans had to eat 3 bad hires by the AD in the last 10 years and I am surprised they are still hanging around.

And when you see more and more Alabama stickers on cars it is because people are getting tired of your spew. At least Bama shoots for excellence and if UT does not wake up we will be the new Vandy of this century.

Yeah, I can't believe all these awful fans, especially the ones that filled Neyland Stadium last week on the heels of the worst home loss in over 100 years.

Good lord, if Butch Jones is not finished here then the program is dead in the water for another five years.
Enjoy your spot in the conference standings that Vandy and UK used to hold down.

I swear some people care more about putting on their orange overalls and carry their big orange foam finger around the tail gate parties than they care about wins and losses.

It's like a little league game, all the kids sucking on their juice boxes with no idea who won the game

Nobody knows how the 2009 season would have went with Fulmer. Please dont embarass yourself by saying you do. For all we know, we could have won the SEC. The fact is ever since Fulmer we have been pretty irrelevant. Fulmer did not run the program into the ditch.

2 years out of 16 seasons doesnt define a career. Your opinion is noted.

Did you know you can actually use the internet to search the records?

No you probably don't. If you did you would save yourself time and face by looking it up instead of confirming you're an idiot.

VN Store

Back