9.2 KB · Views: 58

Slightly better

202721-ecom-osis-sq-01.png

Slightly worse

Attachments

• 2016-10-18-10-30-25-1697484355.jpeg
    2016-10-18-10-30-25-1697484355.jpeg
    4.5 KB · Views: 56
CWV, a question for you and/or LG. Or any other legal type that wants to check in.

Why is there such a massive overturn rate on some Circuit Court decisions? Are the justices in those places just that horrible they can't get it right?

Ninth Circuit judges are nominated by the President and confirmed by the Senate, just as are Supreme Court Justices. But in almost all cases, judges nominated to the circuit court bench have been judges at the district court level, and that is usually regional. So naturally you tend to get more conservative circuit court benches in the South (the Fifth Circuit, Texas and La, and the Eleventh Circuit, Georgia, Florida, and Alabama) whereas you get more liberal benches in the Ninth, i.e. California, Washington, Oregon.

The liberal bench currently gets overturned more than the conservative because (until recently) the Supreme Court tilted slightly right.

Whenever I get into academic mode, I go to this one site, which is highly regarded on Supreme Court inside the court type stuff, called SCOTUS Blog. If you have a chance, you might go to the main page and check it out.

But at any rate here is a look at the statistical analysis of where the Court's decisions go, and to some degree where they come from.

Statistics : SCOTUSblog

Go down to the next to last graph. It shows that of the 41 cases where they have granted review in the last term, 20 % are out of the Ninth Circuit, which is twice as much as the next one.

I cannot copy the image for some reason, but if you go to prior "stat packs" on the page (in blue near the top) and click on 2014, for example, you see that for the October 2014 term, 63 % of 9th circuit decisions were reversed. But its a limited sample size. That year, 100 % of the cases they took from the 11th, a conservative circuit, were reversed. Same with the 7th, which is generally regarded as conservative.

Reactions: 1 person
Ninth Circuit judges are nominated by the President and confirmed by the Senate, just as are Supreme Court Justices. But in almost all cases, judges nominated to the circuit court bench have been judges at the district court level, and that is usually regional. So naturally you tend to get more conservative circuit court benches in the South (the Fifth Circuit, Texas and La, and the Eleventh Circuit, Georgia, Florida, and Alabama) whereas you get more liberal benches in the Ninth, i.e. California, Washington, Oregon.

The liberal bench currently gets overturned more than the conservative because (until recently) the Supreme Court tilted slightly right.

Whenever I get into academic mode, I go to this one site, which is highly regarded on Supreme Court inside the court type stuff, called SCOTUS Blog. If you have a chance, you might go to the main page and check it out.

But at any rate here is a look at the statistical analysis of where the Court's decisions go, and to some degree where they come from.

Statistics : SCOTUSblog

Go down to the next to last graph. It shows that of the 41 cases where they have granted review in the last term, 20 % are out of the Ninth Circuit, which is twice as much as the next one.

I cannot copy the image for some reason, but if you go to prior "stat packs" on the page (in blue near the top) and click on 2014, for example, you see that for the October 2014 term, 63 % of 9th circuit decisions were reversed. But its a limited sample size. That year, 100 % of the cases they took from the 11th, a conservative circuit, were reversed. Same with the 7th, which is generally regarded as conservative.

Read as:

"Partisan politics from the bench"

Reactions: 1 person
You guys. If the decision even came close to what the headline read I would be against it. However, the decision and the law state "The most effective way to ensure that women quickly obtain the information and services they need to make and implement timely reproductive decisions is to require licensed health care facilities that are unable to immediately enroll patients into the Family PACT or Presumptive Eligibility for Pregnant Women Medi-Cal programs to advise each patient at the time of her visit of the various publicly funded family planning and pregnancy-related resources available in California, and the manner in which to directly and efficiently access those resources."

In other words, if the facility is unable to enroll them in freebie programs they must advise of the existence of freebie programs. Is this another example of the liberal media or is this the conservative spin now?

If they were receiving money from the state, it would follow.

It doesn't appear to be the case. They are a private entity, they should give out whatever advise they want.

VN Store

Back