5* SC PG Josiah James commits to Tennessee

I knew given his past recruits at Texas, that with some time to recruit kids to this school for a longer period of time (as in, from 8-9th grade instead of starting to recruit them as Juniors), he'd be pulling 4+ stars rather than 3*'s that he needed to develop hard. It was just a matter of time, and now we're seeing that. Onward and upward.

(That said, we have a helluva development and teaching staff...our 3*'s kick everyone else's 3*'s kiesters.)

Not since Keller Chryst was a corporal.

Looks like Clemson's crystal ball is broken.
Clemson seems to have this complex lately where they think they are going to get these top recruits. Didn't they think they were going to get Zion Williamson too? I know James and Williamson are both in-state guys, Williamson went to high school just down the road from Clemson, but they aren't a great basketball program. Neither is Tennessee, but we've had more success lately than they have.

Clemson seems to have this complex lately where they think they are going to get these top recruits. Didn't they think they were going to get Zion Williamson too? I know James and Williamson are both in-state guys, Williamson went to high school just down the road from Clemson, but they aren't a great basketball program. Neither is Tennessee, but we've had more success lately than they have.
I wonder if Rick Barnes is considered Clemson's greatest coach ?

Clemson was in the Sweet 16 last season.

Reactions: iVolSoHard
Clemson was in the Sweet 16 last season.
I know, but their last appearance before that one was 2011, and their last regular season championship was 1990. They aren't historically a very good program, so it is kind of surprising they expect to get top recruits. I don't think we expect to get top basketball recruits; it's just nice when we do get one.

I'm just surprised Clemson people seemed so sure he was going to go there; his coming to Tennessee is surprising, but Tennessee fans seem to be really surprised he's coming here. We didn't expect to get him. Clemson fans seem to be surprised he didn't pick them.

After reading his commitment write up, he really seems like a solid kid. I am living in the Charleston area, so I will have to go watch some of his HS games wearing Vols Orange. Pumped about the future of UT basketball right now.

I know, but their last appearance before that one was 2011, and their last regular season championship was 1990. They aren't historically a very good program, so it is kind of surprising they expect to get top recruits. I don't think we expect to get top basketball recruits; it's just nice when we do get one.

I'm just surprised Clemson people seemed so sure he was going to go there; his coming to Tennessee is surprising, but Tennessee fans seem to be really surprised he's coming here. We didn't expect to get him. Clemson fans seem to be surprised he didn't pick them.
JMO, maybe we wouldn't have been as surprised about James if the media would give the bball program the coverage it deserves. It was revealed at some point in the last two weeks that we had been recruiting him very hard since he was a freshman (IIRC). You didn't hear too much about it until we were in his top 4.

Again, just my hot take. I'm perpetually upset about the amount of attention the bball program gets from the media and fans.

Reactions: BowlBrother85
JMO, maybe we wouldn't have been as surprised about James if the media would give the bball program the coverage it deserves. It was revealed at some point in the last two weeks that we had been recruiting him very hard since he was a freshman (IIRC). You didn't hear too much about it until we were revealed in to be in his top 4.

Again, just my hot take. I'm perpetually upset about the amount of attention the bball program gets from the media and fans.
Barnes had been recruiting him hard for a very long time, that is correct, but any time schools like Duke or Michigan St are mentioned in the running for his services everyone just assumes they'll probably go there. The football equivalent would be some elite 5-star recruit from Birmingham being recruited heavily by Alabama, Auburn, and Virginia Tech and he chooses Virginia Tech.

Tennessee is such a huge football school that the center of gravity about Tennessee athletics coverage is always going to be football. Think about it...we've been bad at football for a decade now, and haven't fielded a team that finished in the top 2010 since 2001, yet the biggest Tennessee athletics story on a day we signed a 5-star game changing basketball player is general discussion of Tennessee/Florida week when neither team is very good. That's just how it is.

WooooHoooo! Barne's ability to develop talent is what led him here. I bet we have another good one follow in his footsteps and commit soon.

Reactions: Captain Mitch
Awesome pickup!! I live 20 minutes from Charleston and honestly did not know this private school existed....:oops:

Reactions: DonDiego
WooooHoooo! Barne's ability to develop talent is what led him here. I bet we have another good one follow in his footsteps and commit soon.
Actually I thought it was his ability to recruit. He recruited elite talent at Texas (Ford, Durant, Augustin, etc.) but the knock on him was that he routinely got bounced from the tournament earlier than you'd expect, or didn't win the Big 12 as often as you'd expect. He had Durant and Augustin on that 2006-07 team but went 25-10 (12-4) which was good enough for 3rd in the Big 12, and they got bounced early in the tournament as a #4 seed (Round of 32). That isn't a bad year at all, but when you have a couple players like that you'd like to see something more like a conference title and at least a Sweet 16.

I think defensively, James will be a difference maker for us. I want to see how he develops as a PG, but if there's a staff out there I trust to develop him there, it's this one. I'm VERY excited for this.

VN Store

Back