4 wr sets not in the playbook?

goodtobegoad

Hard to to complain about an offense that averages 49 a game. But down 14 with 3 minutes left and we have fant split wide out still? I just don’t get it. Him and warren lack speed, separation, and yards after catch against more elite athletic defenses. Maybe this is okay when you have an option like bowers but the two we have simply get open off scheme and are dink and dunk possession receiving threats.
it’s interesting to me we don’t have a set that would have gotten Keyton or squirrel out there as a 4th option to create separation against the safeties and linebackers Georgia was covering with on obvious passing downs or sets. Curious why the 4 wr set isn’t in the playbook with our wr options we have.

Reactions: Shocker0
Hard to to complain about an offense that averages 49 a game. But down 14 with 3 minutes left and we have fant split wide out still? I just don’t get it. Him and warren lack speed, separation, and yards after catch against more elite athletic defenses. Maybe this is okay when you have an option like bowers but the two we have simply get open off scheme and are dink and dunk possession receiving threats.
it’s interesting to me we don’t have a set that would have gotten Keyton or squirrel out there as a 4th option to create separation against the safeties and linebackers Georgia was covering with on obvious passing downs or sets. Curious why the 4 wr set isn’t in the playbook with our wr options we have.
You do realize we don't sub as part of how our offense works? We have done that with success all year. And when it comes to Fant, he was open and had his man beat down the sideline. Hendon overthrew him. That was NOT on Fant.

Plus I think a Hyatt played hurt and Tillman isn’t 100%. He has def lost a step as he recovers from ankle injury.
We kept our RB in the backfield to help the blitz, though it didn’t help.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
Plus I think a Hyatt played hurt and Tillman isn’t 100%. He has def lost a step as he recovers from ankle injury.
We kept our RB in the backfield to help the blitz, though it didn’t help.

If Tillman isn't 100%--and I agree that he doesn't look 100%--then why the hell did we not play Keyton?

Reactions: Birdvol13
The other thing that Hooker doesn't do is extend plays. He scrambles/runs--but he doesn't escape the pocket to give the receivers (and himself) more time to make a play---just like B. Young did just now to put bama in the lead. At least I haven't seen it from him. And you have to throw balls away if you're being pressured and can find no one. Taking sacks when you could avoid some of them by tossing the ball out of bounds is dumb football.

The other thing that Hooker doesn't do is extend plays. He scrambles/runs--but he doesn't escape the pocket to give the receivers (and himself) more time to make a play---just like B. Young did just now to put bama in the lead. At least I haven't seen it from him. And you have to throw balls away if you're being pressured and can find no one. Taking sacks when you could avoid some of them by tossing the ball out of bounds is dumb football.
He's not as elusive as BY. If he's out of the pocket, he's running.

You do realize we don't sub as part of how our offense works? We have done that with success all year. And when it comes to Fant, he was open and had his man beat down the sideline. Hendon overthrew him. That was NOT on Fant.
At some point this offense is going to have to start putting out the personnel that gives us the best chance to execute successful plays. Whether that be 4-5 WR personnel 21 or 13 personnel. Maybe we don’t have the talent to do that yet and we have to rely almost entirely on tempo. I doubt that’s the case though, and it sure would’ve been nice to give them a different look today with 4-5 wide sets

At some point this offense is going to have to start putting out the personnel that gives us the best chance to execute successful plays. Whether that be 4-5 WR personnel 21 or 13 personnel. Maybe we don’t have the talent to do that yet and we have to rely almost entirely on tempo. I doubt that’s the case though, and it sure would’ve been nice to give them a different look today with 4-5 wide sets
Have you complained about our scheme this year before this game? It has worked every other game. Why should he change the scheme because it didn't work one time. Next time we play them he will gameplan differently. It isn't suddenly broken because Georgia bested us. Stop over thinking it. Have you forgotten we have averaged 553 ypg on offense?

I think the pressure Georgia's defense put on Hooker really took him off his game. This offense works off precision, like having a receiver open at just the right time. Georgia covered those guys he would normally dump to. Yes, he missed some guys that were open, but I think it was from being rattled and rushed and not wanting to throw an interception.

it did not help that Hooker tried to hold the ball for 5 seconds and got sacked 6 times. Throw the ball away.
He was also getting hammered by an LB coming from his left untouched and timing snap perfectly. Not much he could do it was happening so quick. I'm curious why TN did not adjust and pick up that blitz.

Reactions: volfeeva
Have you complained about our scheme this year before this game? It has worked every other game. Why should he change the scheme because it didn't work one time. Next time we play them he will gameplan differently. It isn't suddenly broken because Georgia bested us. Stop over thinking it. Have you forgotten we have averaged 553 ypg on offense?
I’m not complaining. Just saying it would’ve been nice to see them do something different. Some 5 wide mesh concepts to Hyatt or Holiday to get them the ball quickly with them moving or some tunnel and slip screens to slow the pass rush down. I’m fully aware that this scheme is why we are 8-1 and didn’t go 5-7 last year, but I just figured we’d have some different stuff set up for this game. Hopefully once we get Nico who is more of a pro style QB and some WRs that can beat elite DBs on their own that we will become a little more multiple in our passing concepts

Reactions: PureOrange
The only time I’ve seen him do it that I can think of off the top of my head was the winning TD vs Pitt

We needed way more empty backfields with 2 TE sets (both acting as blockers). Instead we had our RB’s in there trying to pick up 5* blitzers.

Sorry but that’s on Heupel.

I think the pressure Georgia's defense put on Hooker really took him off his game. This offense works off precision, like having a receiver open at just the right time. Georgia covered those guys he would normally dump to. Yes, he missed some guys that were open, but I think it was from being rattled and rushed and not wanting to throw an interception.
They've got to put in the ability to move the pocket. The QB is in the same spot every play. Can't do that with a good pass rush.

That’s why I said on obvious passing situations. Aka down 14 with 3 minutes left driving the length of the field or when it’s 3rd and 15 and tempo isn’t necessary. Trying to time hitting a guy running a 5.2 40 down the sideline when your used to throwing those to your receivers isn’t easy.

If Tillman isn't 100%--and I agree that he doesn't look 100%--then why the hell did we not play Keyton?
Because to the coaches at least 80% of Tillman>100% of anyone else. Can't fault them on that. He's a different beast.

That’s why I said on obvious passing situations. Aka down 14 with 3 minutes left driving the length of the field or when it’s 3rd and 15 and tempo isn’t necessary. Trying to time hitting a guy running a 5.2 40 down the sideline when your used to throwing those to your receivers isn’t easy.
When we substitute, the other team gets to. Our basic offense predicates no personnel changes during a drive to keep the defense from changing personnel. It is basic to his scheme, should he fundamentally change his scheme, or add a new wrinkle to it for this type of defensive game plan? Has his scheme not worked at the fundamental level the rest of the year?

VN Store

Back