3 assistant coaches turned down offers.

I think it explains the reason for the DeBord hire, you don't want a revolving door on the assistances when you are building a giant.

DeBord had offers from multiple NFL teams. Hyams said it so it must be true even though there is not a single story ANYWHERE else about it.

Reactions: 1 person
more reason to like CBJ. Not only does he have to fight it out in the trenches of the world's most powerful college football league, but he has to bust his arse recruiting, keeping the kids academically eligible, keep them out of trouble, have the coaching staff believe in him and stay loyal to him, appease the VN fan base and win, win, win. Much respect to CBJ.

Awesome. It's so important for us to have continuity. And coach z and thig are incredible recruiters. The best part of it all...the one coach we didn't mind leaving didn't turn down that offer. But I don't mean to be disrespect to Jake. He was running what butch wanted him to run and it was butch that named Worley the starter, Peterman the no. 2, or that made all. Of the ultra conservative decisions that cost us this past year.

Always good to have a Bulldog troll's perspective.

Reactions: 2 people
We're very lucky to keep those coaches especially since they're great recruiters.

We need a better bowl game so their bonus pay is better and then give them another pay raise after next season.

As the team improves our top coaches/recruiters pay MUST improve too.

We simply can NEVER let our best recruiters get away from us!

Tennessee needs to learn to STOP trying to be cheap on good coaches/recruiters pay!

We never want to go back down again and have to totally rebuild all over again!!!

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

I hope TN has some Championships to show for it before they all go off to make more $$$. Plus I'm uncertain if Butch is to have a coaching tree then where will he pull in replacements ? Seems he's used up all his Aces with the Debord hire ?

Used up all his aces?

Do-not-think-it-means.jpeg

We're very lucky to keep those coaches especially since they're great recruiters.

We need a better bowl game so their bonus pay is better and then give them another pay raise after next season.

Tennessee needs to learn to STOP trying to be cheap on good coaches/recruiters pay!

We never want to go back down again and have to totally rebuild all over again!!!

I don't disagree, but at some point money can't be the only reason you stay somewhere.

You have to take care of your people by supporting them and letting them know you have their back. It's also about a right fit for their family, and I think the fans' attitude is important.

I'll tell you right now it will be all about the money if a game(s) doesn't go as expected and the fans demand a coaches head.

It appears we're notorious for this. Bajakian and Cuonzo most recently.

That #FireBajakian thing was garbage. I'm sure that dude felt totally hung out to dry.

Those guys weren't bad. We just have no patience if we're not skyrocketing to the top.

Agreed.

Frankly think they need to throw an associate head coach title and a 100 K raise on Thigpen next season just to keep the wolves away.

Letting Rodney Garner walk away cost Fulmer dearly and it's been an ongoing thing ever since at UT.

DeBord had offers from multiple NFL teams. Hyams said it so it must be true even though there is not a single story ANYWHERE else about it.

Nah...he's lying...if only we had a message board poster brave enough to expose the truth. :ermm:

To quote Phil- " it ain't the X's and O's it's the Jimmy's and the Joe's" well we are getting the Jimmy's and the Joe's so look out

that quote is so true. You can coach all you want, but if they're more talented it normally doesn't end well.

Yeah, but 'the Jimmy's and the Joe's' includes their mindset, mental toughness, ability and willingness to keep fighting when things aren't going your way.

And with a bunch of 18-22 year olds, that means coaching remains a hugely important aspect of building championship teams.

That ability to keep the players focused and motivated is, far more than any Xs or Os, the reason Saban and Meyers have done so well.

So yeah, really important that we kept these coaches. Good on ya, Coach Jones.

I don't disagree, but at some point money can't be the only reason you stay somewhere.

You have to take care of your people by supporting them and letting them know you have their back. It's also about a right fit for their family, and I think the fans' attitude is important.

I'll tell you right now it will be all about the money if a game(s) doesn't go as expected and the fans demand a coaches head.

It appears we're notorious for this. Bajakian and Cuonzo most recently.

That #FireBajakian thing was garbage. I'm sure that dude felt totally hung out to dry.

Those guys weren't bad. We just have no patience if we're not skyrocketing to the top.

I think Martin and Bajakian were totally different situations. Also think the UT fan base is like any other in terms of expecting production.

Bajakian went for a better job at a higher level of competition while Martin side stepped his way out of town.

It took talk of Martin being fired for him to get off his a-- and get anything out of his team then he bolted for the first offer he got despite getting offered a 500 K raise to stay.

Nah...he's lying...if only we had a message board poster brave enough to expose the truth. :ermm:

Oh....hey there. How's the quest to 20 k posts coming along?

I don't think a single article other than a Hyams tweet is too much to ask on all the offers rolling in for the best offensive coordinator in America.

Oh....hey there. How's the quest to 20 k posts coming along?

I don't think a single article other than a Hyams tweet is too much to ask on all the offers rolling in for the best offensive coordinator in America.

Relevant as usual...what does my post count have to do with anything? Easy for me to do so I continue to be amused at your confusion and frustration with it. :yu: Back to your pertinent question...oh yeah?...you didn't have one. :unsure:

Wasn't somebody in one of the attrition threads blathering on about how the players, assistant coaches and wife all hated CBJ? Why would these guys stay to work with someone they hate?

This shouldn't be overlooked. It was probably a Fulmerite hoping for a triumphant return. Ridiculous what people will totally fabricate.

I hope TN has some Championships to show for it before they all go off to make more $$$. Plus I'm uncertain if Butch is to have a coaching tree then where will he pull in replacements ? Seems he's used up all his Aces with the Debord hire ?
That statement is 'bout as useless as tits on a bull.

If it's true (and you have to wonder about the lack of specifics), it not only shows they think the future is bright, but also that other schools are taking notice of the job they are doing.

An article written based on Jimmy Hyams tweet

I've seen it all

Does anyone believe anything that comes out of Hyams mouth? Much less something published on bleacher report and all he could muster for 2 of them was "unnamed SEC school and unknown". Those must be mid major universities.

To me this is a huge statement about both chemistry among the coaching staff and what these coaches truly feel about the direction of the program. Definitely a good thing.

VN Store

Back