2nd Half of Oregon game not just Inexperience and Depth?

volinexile17

Pickled a ghost runner
Greg Easterbrook writes one of the best columns at ESPN. It's mostly NFL oriented, but he usually has some good college notes as well. On Oregon:

"The blur offense combines these four existing ideas then executes really quickly. Not only are Oregon's offensive players swift, but the team signals in plays so rapidly that an average of just 15 seconds passes from the spot of the ball to the next snap. That's extremely fast. Even polished no-huddle teams typically take 20 to 25 seconds from spot to snap....The fast pace tires defenses more than the Oregon offense. Oregon has outscored opponents 128-13 in the second half; this is the most impressive blur offense stat."

The Oregon Ducks' offensive pace can be dizzying to opponents - ESPN

The Ducks are top 10-ish in number of overall offensive plays per game, but bottom 20-ish in overall time of possession. Very telling stat.

The Ducks are top 10-ish in number of overall offensive plays per game, but bottom 20-ish in overall time of possession. Very telling stat.
Faddish crap. Will matter if they play a decent team that can run the rock. AL kills them.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Faddish crap. Will matter if they play a decent team that can run the rock. AL kills them.

agreed. this offense only works if you are playing the type of defenses who can't play proper gap defense. what happens if oregon has a game filled with 3 and outs? their d is going to get screded. It will happen sooner or later this season.

One of Easterbrook's running themes that I agree with completely is that football offenses and defenses are almost all faddish. Often, trends in football are exercises in group think without much support. For instance-and again a main complaint of Easterbrook-is all of the teams switching to a 3-4 scheme regardless of personnel. See Georgia.

Stanford runs the ball pretty well, but Oregon put up monster 2nd half numbers on them. I doubt Bama kills the Ducks, but I'd definitely pencil the Tide in for a win.

Stanford has a very slow defense and frankly a not very good one either. They get have big problems with teams with spead. If oregon does this against UA, USC, and Cal, i'll be very impressed.

Stanford has a very slow defense and frankly a not very good one either. They get have big problems with teams with spead. If oregon does this against UA, USC, and Cal, i'll be very impressed.

UA, yes. Their run defense has been solid so far.

If UDub and the 'Furd can get ~avg. 200+ yards rushing/game on the Trogans, the Ducks can damn sure get that and more.

Same goes for how your Bears looked against Nevada.

yes usc has given up a bunch of yardage, but they have the potential to shut it down with their speed. i agree they haven't shown any signs of doing this.

and i agree if mohammad doesn't play against oregon, like he didn't against nevada, than cal will have problems. cal is currently #1 in the pac-10 in virtually every defensive category. remains to be seen whether the nevada game was a fluke or not.

Work on that lateral speed, shut down the run, then force Darron Thomas to check down and you could beat the Ducks.

I still don't see Oregon losing until the Civil War.

i didn't see bama losing this year. i didn't see USC losing to stanford in 07. S happens. The pac-10 doesn't have a lot of gimmie games. Oregon isn't good enough to not have a hickup. They'll need a lot of luck to go undefeated.

No. IMO they have <5% of making it unbeaten. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cal win, but the Ducks are going to be rightly favored going into that.

Re: USC, it's the halfway point of the season and they're 71st in scoring defense. Face it, their defense sucks this year.

Arizona has the best matchup but the game is in Autzen. Oregon State has almost as good of a matchup, home field advantage and the experience of the most difficult schedule in the nation at that point.

they'll be favored in every game, not relavant to what i'm talking about. they still aren't a top-5 team IMO. i expect at least 2 losses.

they'll be favored in every game, not relavant to what i'm talking about. they still aren't a top-5 team IMO. i expect at least 2 losses.

Alabama has a better chance of having 2 losses than Oregon at this point.

The speed that OU gets the plays on the field and snaps the ball is the difference maker. Unless your base defense can stop them w/o adjustments at the line of scrimmage, that speed creates confusion and OU opportunities. Coaches are so used to adjusting their defensive schemes at the last second that this kind of offense has the opportunity to really put a hurt on them.

The speed that OU gets the plays on the field and snaps the ball is the difference maker. Unless your base defense can stop them w/o adjustments at the line of scrimmage, that speed creates confusion and OU opportunities. Coaches are so used to adjusting their defensive schemes at the last second that this kind of offense has the opportunity to really put a hurt on them.

works both ways though. because of this they have very few plays and therefore it should be easier to defend. and it keeps their defense on the field longer. fact of the matter is the talent is why they are scoring just like any other team. if kelly goes to washington state i very much doubt they lead the country in scoring.

Work on that lateral speed, shut down the run, then force Darron Thomas to check down and you could beat the Ducks.

I still don't see Oregon losing until the Civil War.

I don't see us going undefeated either, but I highly doubt we lose to OSewe.

They'll have to score a hell of a lot of points to keep us with us, because their defense is not very good. I don't see them doing that.

agreed. oregon state's D stinks and oregon will be up for the game. also rodgers was a huge part of that offense. i do expect a close game, but oregon probably has the edge.

The USC game kind of scares me considering they have an extra week of prep time to get ready. Plus it's in the Coliseum and this USC Squad will be looking for revenge for the beatdown in Autzen last year. If we make it to 8-0, I'm willing to bet we run the table but it's a big if.

Like Droski said, nothing in the Pac-10 is a gimme. Nothing in college football in general is a gimme. The Ducks are going to have to bring their best week in and week out from here on out... especially since they have a giant target painted on their backs as defending champs and #2 in the nation.

I HATE playing teams coming off a bye week.

Exactly. It's not that big of a deal in the UCLA and UA games because it's at home AND we get just as much time off as they do. But I'm really uncomfortable with going on the road to face a team that had 5 extra days to prepare for you.

If you look at the win loss records on teams with byes compared to teams without there isn't much evidence that bye weeks actually help teams.

VN Store

Back