25 Rule. Bama & the Big Boys

JSS Nashville

I know the new SEC rule caps a Class at 25. CDD even talked of the difficulties this creates for the Schools. I'm not trying to debate the rule but rather make sense of a few other SEC schools...

Bama sets at 24 commits & are in the Top 3 of just about EVERYONE left... Who do they cut (& are we in play for any of them?) They could get Cyrus & Landon tonight & there is a month left!

LSU at 21/22 is all but full too & probably will be after this weekend! I know we may already be in the running for Bourque, the former Tiger.

I'm just asking the experts, who do the Top few teams cut loose when these final 4/5 Stars make their decision that we may benefit from?

LSU could have 4 guys leaving early for the NFL so they'll make the numbers work and Saban will just "process" 6 more.

Rivals had b&ma at 24 commits, and they just got 2 more in the UA game. Landon Collins' mama is not happy!

Last edited:
saban doesnt care. he does whatever he want (similar to a honey badger) & never get publicly criticized about it.

But they can only sign 25, doesnt matter how many they have leaving.

You can only sign 25 to the incoming class, but the midyear exemption allows you to replace players on the current 85(basically backcount). I have heard but not confirmed that a player graduating in Dec, declaring for the NFL by a certien date or announcing they are transferring by some date in DEC can be backcounted into.

UA currently has 27 commits, but 2 look to be headed to JUCO and will not sign. Our sites are saying we can backcount 4 players on the EEs. Meaning we should bring in 29 players for this class.

You can only sign 25 to the incoming class, but the midyear exemption allows you to replace players on the current 85(basically backcount). I have heard but not confirmed that a player graduating in Dec, declaring for the NFL by a certien date or announcing they are transferring by some date in DEC can be backcounted into.

UA currently has 27 commits, but 2 look to be headed to JUCO and will not sign. Our sites are saying we can backcount 4 players on the EEs. Meaning we should bring in 29 players for this class.

Does that mean you have 56 returning guys on scholarship?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

What bugs the crap out of me is that Saint Saban will be praised for whatever tactics he uses while Dooley is an a hole for giving kids a month to find somewhere else to play. I guess the nice guy does indeed finish last. It sucks.

Reactions: 1 person

Would that mean Tenn can sign over 25 due to Arnett transfering?

Would that mean Tenn can sign over 25 due to Arnett transfering?

Sorry not TW and I hope he comes back to answer this and my question but I am going to give you my answer. Not that you asked. Lol

I don't think Arnett leaving matters for us because we are still need 7 spots to open up to sign 25. We would have to have 8more transfers to sign more than 25.

Sorry not TW and I hope he comes back to answer this and my question but I am going to give you my answer. Not that you asked. Lol

I don't think Arnett leaving matters for us because we are still need 7 spots to open up to sign 25. We would have to have 8more transfers to sign more than 25.

So the mid year exemption is only for those that only go into the 2nd semester with less then 60 scholorship players basically?

Meaning they have more then 25 spots open?

So the mid year exemption is only for those that only go into the 2nd semester with less then 60 scholorship players basically?

Meaning they have more then 25 spots open?

That's is why I ask him the question about them having 56 guys returning. That is the way I understand it but I darn sure wouldn't bet much on me being correct. I probably shouldn't have answered the question but this topic doesn't get the discussion it should on here IMO and I enjoy trying to learn more about it and the effects of it will have.

Is anyone really clear and certain of how this all works? And please don't tell me to go read the NCAA rules. Tried that once....ain't trying it again...lol

Is anyone really clear and certain of how this all works? And please don't tell me to go read the NCAA rules. Tried that once....ain't trying it again...lol

Go read the NCAA manual!

Great post. Lol. I really want to understand it and its effects.

No one is exactlly sure but it seems to have eliminated a few loopholes and created one big loop hole.

I know we have 21 seniors graduating. We have atleast 3 juniors leaving for the NFL. Heard about 3 that are probably transferring. These were names we heard about in Nov and in early Dec atleast 2 were suspended indefinitely. Two others who have battled injuries for most of their time at UA but not sure on them. Even without them that is 27 gone. There is also some names but nothing confirmed with a few bench players that are redshirt juniors who graduated in Dec will not get their scholly's renewed. Been there 4 years, do not contribute, and got a degree.

Most of the seniors really do not hurt us though because I think 39 of our 66 3 deep are either sophmores or freshman.

No one is exactlly sure but it seems to have eliminated a few loopholes and created one big loop hole.

I know we have 21 seniors graduating. We have atleast 3 juniors leaving for the NFL. Heard about 3 that are probably transferring. These were names we heard about in Nov and in early Dec atleast 2 were suspended indefinitely. Two others who have battled injuries for most of their time at UA but not sure on them. Even without them that is 27 gone. There is also some names but nothing confirmed with a few bench players that are redshirt juniors who graduated in Dec will not get their scholly's renewed. Been there 4 years, do not contribute, and got a degree.

Most of the seniors really do not hurt us though because I think 39 of our 66 3 deep are either sophmores or freshman.

Intersting, but you can still only enroll 25 correct? Or are they like backcounts, even though you might not have any available?

Don't leave us here TW. We need your input. Answer this for me.

Look at the scholarships that open up at the end of the fall semester and if that number is over 25 then that number over 25 can be brought in as EE and those EE don't count toward the 25.

Is that correct?

THANKS SO MUCH.

Last edited:
Intersting, but you can still only enroll 25 correct? Or are they like backcounts, even though you might not have any available?

If you have room EEs can fill those open spots. So that is the only catch I have seen. Any player that signs in Feb, from my understanding, has to count towards the incoming class for the next season if they are not an EE. If the team has room they can replace open spots in the roster with EEs.

Again no one has actually seen the exact language but this is hwat has been reported by our sites.

Don't leave us here TW. We need your input. Answer this for me.

Look at the scholarships that open up at the end of the fall semester and if that number is over 25 then that number over 25 can be brought in as EE.

Is that correct?

THANKS SO MUCH.

Yes from my understanding. But that can only be replaced by an EE so they can count against the current 85 rule.

From what I have learned here there is no way our class can have over 25 unless we have at least 7 more kids that don't come back for 2nd semester.

From what I have learned here there is no way our class can have over 25 unless we have at least 7 more kids that don't come back for 2nd semester.

But CDD may already have some names that no one knows about yet that are not returning.

I also saw that UF was bringing in over 30 from one of their sites a while back.

NCAA recruiting regs are set up on the same model as the tax code. Only the truly savy can maneuver through the mine field and use it to their full advantage without drawing the ire of the authorities. Two things handycap those dealing with the IRS and the NCAA > intelligence and morals.

But CDD may already have some names that no one knows about yet that are not returning.

I also saw that UF was bringing in over 30 from one of their sites a while back.

I agree but I think he is going to have a hard time getting the numbers down so he can bring in a full class. Last I heard we still had 7 too many. Now sure there will be kids "moved" but I doubt he can find more than 7 to do that with.

VN Store

Back