247 now has Vols #16 in 2018 Team Recruiting

my, how time changes the outlook...we're looking much better now after the revolution and hopefully our coaching staff will bring out the best in all the commits...here's to a great ending to the recruiting season...:toast:...and,

GO VOLS!

Yeah but for a coach that hasnt been here, I will take that for now. Pruitt and his coaches are getting it done on the recruiting trail.

I'm sure Schiano would have been recruiting just as well as Pruitt. Not a big deal at all really. :good!:

Reactions: 1 person
I'm really over the rankings as far as recruiting goes. I mean seriously, what good has it actually done for us over the past 4 years?

I'm more worried about what happens when the coin is flipped, and when the game is final. That's more important, jmo.

I learned from the Butch era that the overall ranking is not as important as the per player ranking. What does signing 34 players help when you know half will need to transfer.

We need to go the Clemson route where you sign around 20 every year they are almost all elite players and you don’t have a lot of attrition.

I think this class will have close to the best per player avg ranking we’ve had in a decade.

Underrated post. A lot of the Butch was a great recruiter but bad coach narrative is a little bit of a misnomer. His recruiting rankings were based on taking huge classes in numbers and having a lot of attrition later. If you look at the per player rankings it tells a different story.

Underrated post. A lot of the Butch was a great recruiter but bad coach narrative is a little bit of a misnomer. His recruiting rankings were based on taking huge classes in numbers and having a lot of attrition later. If you look at the per player rankings it tells a different story.

To be fair, Rivals (and 247 I think) bases the class rankings off of only the top 20 players in the class, so it’s not overly prone to favor larger classes.

The problem with Butch (when looking at recruiting) is that the highest ranked players always seemed to be the ones to leave.

To be fair, Rivals (and 247 I think) bases the class rankings off of only the top 20 players in the class, so it’s not overly prone to favor larger classes.

The problem with Butch (when looking at recruiting) is that the highest ranked players always seemed to be the ones to leave.

Only rivals takes the top 20 iirc. Lyle’s average player rating was always among the lowest of the teams the range of his classes. Never had an average player rating 90 or higher on 247. To get where we want to be, we need better players per their average rating imho.

Well, I think filling positions of need and recruiting highly talented / ranked players are equally as important.

To compete for the SEC championship, you must fill those positions of need with highly talented players.

Example: We’re filling offensive line needs with 3* 6-4 270 lb. guys while Alabama and Georgia are filling offensive line needs with 6-5 330 lb. all-Americans.
I totally agree, and CJP is doing that. My point though is this. Is there really a significant difference in the 8th ranked class vs the 9th or even 11th or 12th? There's not IMO, which is why I call it a subjective ranking. It's all about what you do with it that makes the difference, as Botch proved to us.

Reactions: 3 people
This!
Lack of speed has been glaring the last 2 years

We’ve had some speed. Heck, Abernathy ran down Williams from A&M. Of course, we do need more speed, strength, and physicality. The problem was coaching, or lack thereof. It appears that won’t be a problem from here on out.

We’ve had some speed. Heck, Abernathy ran down Williams from A&M. Of course, we do need more speed, strength, and physicality. The problem was coaching, or lack thereof. It appears that won’t be a problem from here on out.

Wasn’t it Malik Foreman who ran down Williams?

Interesting that 247 ranks Young as a 3*. He’s a 4* in the 247 composite. Litaker is still listed as a firm commit.

You have that backwards, he is a 4 star on 247, 3 on composite. I don’t think I’d gripe about a ranking with offers of Valdosta St and WV State as the ‘big’ offers before Tn.

I will take top 15 considering we were ranked in the 50's after CBJ got fired. Our recruiters have done a phenomenal job salvaging the 2018 class so far. I would say the 2019 recruiting class will look a lot better.

VN Store

Back