2025 Target List

Hope we can land him. I feel like it’s going to be tougher on Barnes to land high school kids his final few years. I’m sure there’s a lot of negative recruiting about him retiring at some point.

Reactions: vols 30
Hope we can land him. I feel like it’s going to be tougher on Barnes to land high school kids his final few years. I’m sure there’s a lot of negative recruiting about him retiring at some point.

Eh. Idk. Doubt that is a huge factor in high school recruiting. There are a lot of older coaches in the league that you could use the argument for.

Feels like that’s less of a consideration when you can just leave and play anywhere if your coach retires

Feels like that’s less of a consideration when you can just leave and play anywhere if your coach retires
True. You would like to think players come in wanting to play for the same coach through out their college career though.

True. You would like to think players come in wanting to play for the same coach through out their college career though.

Think this applies to a very small subset of student athletes these days. Going to be very few who commit to a coach and stick with him all 4 years.

Think this applies to a very small subset of student athletes these days. Going to be very few who commit to a coach and stick with him all 4 years.
If I was a coach, and it’ll never be 100% fool proof obviously, but I’m transitioning to trying to take probably 2-3 kids each class from HS ranks. Mostly kids outside the Top 50 who themselves and their parents realize/are ok with them not playing much year 1 and spending that accumulating and developing. This gives your room to take 3-4 transfers each year to fill openings with or build depth, freshman don’t really play much, role players with solid minutes appearing in every game as sophomores and then starter types as juniors.

If I was a coach, and it’ll never be 100% fool proof obviously, but I’m transitioning to trying to take probably 2-3 kids each class from HS ranks. Mostly kids outside the Top 50 who themselves and their parents realize/are ok with them not playing much year 1 and spending that accumulating and developing. This gives your room to take 3-4 transfers each year to fill openings with or build depth, freshman don’t really play much, role players with solid minutes appearing in every game as sophomores and then starter types as juniors.

I’m just wondering how many kids are even okay with that these days, even if they are outside the Top 50. I guess we’ll know more how our most recent class handles themselves this upcoming season, but I’m already dreading the inevitable “Cam Carr hits the portal” if he flashes talent this year and thinks he isn’t getting enough playing time. Same with Estrella. That’s a pessimistic view of things, but it’s felt impossible to please most kids these days. They want to start and make a lot of money.

Best thing for kids to do nowadays is to play at a lower level and prove they can play at this level or till they are “called” up.

At this point no freshman or younger kid is safe to play if they are going to be replaced with a transfer starter every year. I mean, Mashack is definitely one of a few that will stick it out, but even this year he may not start.

Unless I’m a top 25 recruit, I’m seeing this, and going to a smaller D1 school and playing till a school actually needs me to play.

I’m just wondering how many kids are even okay with that these days, even if they are outside the Top 50. I guess we’ll know more how our most recent class handles themselves this upcoming season, but I’m already dreading the inevitable “Cam Carr hits the portal” if he flashes talent this year and thinks he isn’t getting enough playing time. Same with Estrella. That’s a pessimistic view of things, but it’s felt impossible to please most kids these days. They want to start and make a lot of money.
DJ stuck it out this past year, all 3 of our 2023 signees have this year, Tobe did 2 years ago…like I said it won’t be perfect, but if those guys are seeing good sized roles as sophomores they likely stick around.

Reactions: TheMookieMonster
I've seen a couple of youtube videos on Brown. Didn't really jump out at me if I'm being honest. Thick kid tho. Seems to have good hands but doesn't seem all that physical. So what does the staff see in him? Is he a power forward or another small center?

Can Brown contribute as a freshmen? In this era you sign a kid and develop him and he leaves chasing $$$ Any kid you sign has to get playing time early or they are out of here. Does not look like a one and done type of player to me. Much rather get a big that is in the 6'10 range in the portal

VN Store

Back