2024 Transfer Portal

View attachment 637071
Neighbors was “caught off guard”

I’ve head Coach Caldwell say it several times already, and it’s so true, but you have to be recruiting your own team constantly these days. If you aren’t, someone else is.
Article says he wasn’t caught off guard, that’s why he has the international prospects already lined up. All coaches are keenly aware recruiting is 24/7 now.

Still not a good look to have that many players exit.

Last edited:
I know...it makes no sense. What's really amazing is to see someone attack other successful UT programs/coaches in an effort to try to support their anti-DW position. I want to see all programs at UT succeed. I'll never understand having such a laser focus on one program to the point that you're willing to trash other UT programs as if they somehow compete with each other.
Go all Tennessee Big Orange Teams!!! 🍊🍊🍊

I know this is a message board and anyone can say what they want and have their own opinions, but to say DW does not represent this school with class has to be the most outrageous statement I have seen on here in awhile, and well, quite frankly, that is saying something. A truly foolish and asinine statement.
Was hoping I wasn’t the only one thinking this. Guess I am a DW fan girl.

I have two degrees from the University of Tennessee BSCE and MSCE ...for those who do not recognize what the letters mean they are Bachelor of Science Civil Engineering and Master of Science Civil Engineering .....and have been a fan of all Vol sports since 1948 .I have seen Athletic Directors ,College Presidents and or Chancellors come and go thru those 76 years and have a completely different perspective on Athletic Director White.To be clear as crystal, He is the best AD since Doug Dickey and the proof is in the "pudding " with the health of all programs except our beloved Lady Vols Basketball team and he is in the process of correcting that problem as I type this .....
🧡🧡👏🍊

DW, in hiring outside of the Summitt tree has opened a door that has never been opened
In hiring an "unproven in D1", he has taken the perfect shot

If she fails half of the fans "expected it" and he is unscathed and can replace her without looking for a UT tie.....If she succeeds he looks like a genius.....If he had hired a "big name" and they failed he would have caught hell for his move.

As it is if Coach Kim does fail (And I do not believe she will),,,he has already opened the door for a "big name" outside of the Summitt tree, without repercussions

If this WAS his thinking,,,DW has taken the perfect shot
I was neither a fan or foe of DW before this,,, But this has made me much more of a supporter of him

Article says he wasn’t caught off guard, that’s why he has the international prospects already lined up. All coaches are keenly aware recruiting is 24/7 now.

Still not a good look to have that many players exit.
It's not uncommon for any team now to lose that many players in a year sadly. Gotta recruit your own each year. I would not want to he a college coach.

Our men's team lost 4 players which is just one less than arky women.

DW, in hiring outside of the Summitt tree has opened a door that has never been opened
In hiring an "unproven in D1", he has taken the perfect shot

If she fails half of the fans "expected it" and he is unscathed and can replace her without looking for a UT tie.....If she succeeds he looks like a genius.....If he had hired a "big name" and they failed he would have caught hell for his move.

As it is if Coach Kim does fail (And I do not believe she will),,,he has already opened the door for a "big name" outside of the Summitt tree, without repercussions

If this WAS his thinking,,,DW has taken the perfect shot
I was neither a fan or foe of DW before this,,, But this has made me much more of a supporter of him
Realistically not much left on the tree to pick from.

I don't know if it's been mentioned but the word in gamecock country is that Kiki
Iriafen from Stanford contacted Dawn & a visit has been set up for this weekend.
I’m in the camp of SC fans that actually hopes KiKi finds another home. SC has players that have put in long dues for their time to shine and you just cannot recruit over them and expect team chemistry to be good. Kiki is amazing, just want her to find another home. Feagin, Watkins, Kitts and Edwards are enough for our frontcourt and they all deserve their PT and time now to shine and develop. I hope that doesn’t sound arrogant, I’m just saying SC does not need to do this and risk upsetting a good thing. I’m on record as stating I think Feagin could be All SEC if given the PT she has worked 3 years for already. At some point you have to show loyalty to these players that have been sacrificing for the team so many years or it will all implode. Empires always crumble from within, let KiKi find her place where she is needed more.

Last edited:
Hey, Lucy, I know what DW said and how it likely got misunderstood by a few people here.

In introducing Coach Caldwell, Danny White said the first thing he did in the search was to meet with the team. The team elected a leadership group to meet with him for an in-depth discussion of what our student athletes wanted and felt like was most important. DW said "As a women's basketball program, we want to get back to competing for Southeastern Conference and National championships." He said "they [the players] told him they have that ambition, and we [the players?] are not on a three-, four- or five-year plan. They talked about wanting to win next year. ["To win," not necessarily to win a national championship."] "We [both AD and players?] wanted to make sure we are positioning ourselves to be competitive right away."

"The prerequisite for this search, and something I was unbending on, was how was this person going to bring us back to the top. [That is, as a trajectory, no promise of the first year.] We weren't looking for a possible solution that got us back to being maybe more relevant. We wanted someone with an enormous upside and trajectory, and I will tell you why I think we found that."

There's a lot more. Everything Danny White said about decision to hire new Lady Vols coach Kim Caldwell

The second factor that may have been misinterpreted is that DW put in CKC's contract a clause that offers the opportunity to become the highest-paid coach in the country by winning a national title. That is not restricted to her first year, although maybe some people wrongly assumed it was. How Kim Caldwell's national title contract clause came to be as Lady Vols basketball coach

Sorry, I hadn't seen @choochoovol's post when I wrote this. But I'll leave mine because adds some things.
Hi Orange!
Sorry to just now be responding. I saw earlier that you had replied but it took me a while to dig backward to find this.
Thanks for your detailed response. I don’t want to speak for anyone else but the contract bonus for a Nattie wasn’t a part of my concern at all. Let’s all hope CKC cashes that check ASAP!
Here is what I am going to say about the other part re: championships, timing thereof etc.
I listened to the whole introductory press conference. I have not gone back to look at a transcript nor have I listened to other interviews where he might have further elaborated on his thoughts. Just based on the recording I listened to, one would have to do a lot of parsing to decide that he wasn’t thinking that competing for championships pretty immediately was expected rather that he was merely talking about feedback from the team.
The point that I was attempting to make was that the expectations verbalized by DW might be used in the future to unfairly criticize our new coach. I feel that my concern was not unreasonable given the tendency of some in our fan base to eat their young. DW’s fan boy club will not, however stand for anything other than complete worship of our AD. This blasphemy includes evidently pointing out that IMO he was not particularly smart or artful in his press conference.
Hopefully this will clarify where I am coming from on this. Now, I know that you are very loyal to DW so I will also ask you to not send me any additional gifs of shrieking, ugly, fat women nor accuse me of being just like your ex-wife in case you have one. As I pointed out earlier I already have plenty of these from the DW fan club😆😆.
Hope you have a great weekend!

I suspect Tess may have taken a role as team Mom, leader, culture insuror and contributor on the floor where she can. Basically what she ended up doing last year, only probably more so. Nothing wrong w that.
I like all those rolls for Tess but let’s not discount her three point shooting. Not everyone needs to dash down the court. Tess just needs to find an open spot.

The abject failure of Neighbors' run and gun offense in the SEC is what scares me about our upcoming system. This is not a trick question, not criticizing the system, the new coaches, or anything about it. Just genuinely want to know what we'll do differently that will make it work better for us. Is it that Arky didn't press on D? That they often made no attempt to rebound? Did they just not have enough consistent shooters? Were they too one dimensional and unable to play half court when forced into it?

Of all the teams I watched live the last few years, Arky was probably the hardest to watch. Seemed unneccassarily awful. And Spencer is another hard no. We have several of her already.
That is what scares me too. Coach Flo used this philosophy. High pressure defense and run and gun offense and it did not turn out well there. Worked great in the Big east, but flopped in the SEC. Hopefully, CKC's is a little bit different and much more efficient, because the SEC coaches adapt quickly. I remember teams learning to break that press and walking the ball up the court against Auburn and Auburn never faired that well with that style.

Ok all you Deja haters…👀

Deja Kelly a career four total years 35 percent field goal shooter. Shoots 29 percent from the three and a whopping career 3.5 rebounds per game. She did average 16.3 on 20 plus shots per game. I just hope Deja hurries up and gets off the board to somewhere other than Tennessee.

Reactions: glv98
I have two degrees from Tennessee and am a fan of all the sports teams. I want my school to always be represented with class. DW does not do that in my estimation. You are free to continue fan boying over him.

I know this is a message board and anyone can say what they want and have their own opinions, but to say DW does not represent this school with class has to be the most outrageous statement I have seen on here in awhile, and well, quite frankly, that is saying something. A truly foolish and asinine statement.
This lady wants Tony Vitello fired. She’s already established she’s not truly a fan of other sports, nor is she living in reality.

Wanting to fire the coach closest to a national title of any of the major sports, which even more astonishingly was the most abysmal sport of them all before he got here… all because jordan Beck (she thought it was Blake Burke, another sign she doesn’t actually watch these sports) flipped a guy off two years ago is insane.

She has to know it’s insane. She didn’t reply to the essay I wrote in response to her weeks ago, but it’s obvious she hates tony because baseball being as incredible as they are has siphoned resources and made people care less about WBB. She hates Danny because he’s given Tony, Rick and Josh a blank check for their programs while letting WBB languish. That’s fine, but trying to frame it as it due to Tony And Danny being “classless” just makes her look crazy. If she was honest, she wouldn’t get the heat she does from the men’s sports forum users.

This lady wants Tony Vitello fired. She’s already established she’s not truly a fan of other sports, nor is she living in reality.

Wanting to fire the coach closest to a national title of any of the major sports, which even more astonishingly was the most abysmal sport of them all before he got here… all because jordan Beck (she thought it was Blake Burke, another sign she doesn’t actually watch these sports) flipped a guy off two years ago is insane.

She has to know it’s insane. She didn’t reply to the essay I wrote in response to her weeks ago, but it’s obvious she hates tony because baseball being as incredible as they are has siphoned resources and made people care less about WBB. She hates Danny because he’s given Tony, Rick and Josh a blank check for their programs while letting WBB languish. That’s fine, but trying to frame it as it due to Tony And Danny being “classless” just makes her look crazy. If she was honest, she wouldn’t get the heat she does from the men’s sports forum users.
There are some people on this site that are still butt hurt that there is not a separate AD for Lady Vol sports. There is nothing you/we can say or do. They are just unhappy. I love the comment "boy fans." Nice. I am a huge VOL fan. If they had a tiddly wink team, I would follow and watch. Really hope Caldwell is the right answer for the Lady Vols. History shows that I will support the program no matter. Can we get back to recruiting and stop all the infighting?

Hi Orange!
Sorry to just now be responding. I saw earlier that you had replied but it took me a while to dig backward to find this.
Thanks for your detailed response. I don’t want to speak for anyone else but the contract bonus for a Nattie wasn’t a part of my concern at all. Let’s all hope CKC cashes that check ASAP!
Here is what I am going to say about the other part re: championships, timing thereof etc.
I listened to the whole introductory press conference. I have not gone back to look at a transcript nor have I listened to other interviews where he might have further elaborated on his thoughts. Just based on the recording I listened to, one would have to do a lot of parsing to decide that he wasn’t thinking that competing for championships pretty immediately was expected rather that he was merely talking about feedback from the team.
The point that I was attempting to make was that the expectations verbalized by DW might be used in the future to unfairly criticize our new coach. I feel that my concern was not unreasonable given the tendency of some in our fan base to eat their young. DW’s fan boy club will not, however stand for anything other than complete worship of our AD. This blasphemy includes evidently pointing out that IMO he was not particularly smart or artful in his press conference.
Hopefully this will clarify where I am coming from on this. Now, I know that you are very loyal to DW so I will also ask you to not send me any additional gifs of shrieking, ugly, fat women nor accuse me of being just like your ex-wife in case you have one. As I pointed out earlier I already have plenty of these from the DW fan club😆😆.
Hope you have a great weekend!
There is no question about your misguided feelings about AD White ......

That is what scares me too. Coach Flo used this philosophy. High pressure defense and run and gun offense and it did not turn out well there. Worked great in the Big east, but flopped in the SEC. Hopefully, CKC's is a little bit different and much more efficient, because the SEC coaches adapt quickly. I remember teams learning to break that press and walking the ball up the court against Auburn and Auburn never faired that well with that style.
These are fair concerns so just wait a minute to see how things turn out .

VN Store

Back