2023 Transfer Portal - General NCAA Thread

I think the only two players on this roster that are untouchable are ZZ and Dillione for me. I'm concerned about the roster next year, just being honest. We are going to be a very young, very inexperienced team (especially without ZZ) and we won't have much returning scoring. I don't know where we'll look for baskets, and Barnes track record in the portal is abysmal, so I'm not sure we'll find it there.

I also love Mashack's upside. He was the second best guard on the team by the end of the season. He has JJJs defensive skill of guarding multiple positions and a growing offensive game. He also has a mentality that was missing with some of our guys.

I wish we lived in a dream world and we could pull Love, Ledlum, Mark and get Santi back lol

Who the hell is Mark?
giphy.gif

If we don’t get a ball handler with speed that can get to the rim and finish we’re right back where we were. Vescovi or James can’t get to the rim or finish. Both are one handed players.
This is exactly what I am concerned about. Both JJJ and SV have been the Vols top 3 offensive options the last two years and each year the offense has hit immense periods were the Vols cannot score a basket. It is not likely that either JJJ or SV is going to improve their finishing at the rim this summer, so not much is going to change with those two.

What really concerns me is whether JJJ and SV will hamper the development of the young guys. It's been proven that JJJ and SV are likely not going to be the guys that are going to get you the tough buckets and we need to find those guys. The Vols have, Mashack, Dillone, Carr, Phillips (maybe), and Jefferson who may have the ability to play at the rim and get tough buckets, but if you are playing SV and JJJ 30 minutes a game those guys aren't going to get many opportunities to develop.

I support Barnes 100% however be needs to hirlt the transfer portal harder

When I see a player in the portal, i always see Arky and Auburn in the race, not so much Tennessee

I know we have contacted some players but why we didn't go after a player like Lumpkin from TCU surprised me. Perfect Barnes player

I support Barnes 100% also but i cant figure out why he is so highly regarded amongst the knowledgeable people in the basketball world but he never seems to land the big fish. He needs a new fishing pole.

I support Barnes 100% also but i cant figure out why he is so highly regarded amongst the knowledgeable people in the basketball world but he never seems to land the big fish. He needs a new fishing pole.
Wut? We have had top 15 classes the last 4 seasons, with 2 of them being top 5. We’ve also landed four 5 stars (I know of 4, maybe more?) during this span. The transfer portal is still new and there’s a very small sample size, but most big names that have entered so far are looking to cash out and/or go somewhere where they can run the offense through them. Even so, we’ve still come close on several guys like Collins, Hunter, Pack, etc and are in on several large talents this year. All that said, we’ve absolutely landed some “big fish” out of high school. I think we will land some in the portal too, at some point soon.

I support Barnes 100% however be needs to hirlt the transfer portal harder

When I see a player in the portal, i always see Arky and Auburn in the race, not so much Tennessee

I know we have contacted some players but why we didn't go after a player like Lumpkin from TCU surprised me. Perfect Barnes player

Maybe TN’s roster is a expected to be full with Vescovi and JJJ returning. CRB isn’t going to pre-announce every roster move. NIL and free transfers makes it like free agency.

Maybe Barnes shocks the world and brings back Uros for one of the spots instead of SV or JJJ or JP. And BJE and DJ Jefferson stick with the program.

Maybe TN’s roster is a expected to be full with Vescovi and JJJ returning. CRB isn’t going to pre-announce every roster move. NIL and free transfers makes it like free agency.

Maybe Barnes shocks the world and brings back Uros for one of the spots instead of SV or JJJ or JP. And BJE and DJ Jefferson stick with the program.

I wouldn't mind Vescovi and JJJ coming back. In order for uros to come back, he needs to **** or get off the pot. 7'1 big that's not aggressive down low and can't dunk. Imo, we can do a lot better than Uros, if not, we are in trouble

Here's my dream lineup for next season. Asterisk means may not be back

PG: Keyon Menifield/ZZ/*BJE*
SG: *Vescovi*/ Grill or Girard/Carr/Dillone
SF: *JJJ* Or TJ Bamba/Mashack/Jefferson
PF: Chris Ledlum/Awaka/Phillips/Estrella
C: ?/ Aidoo/ Estrella/Awaka

Of course getting Vescovi and JJJ to come is very unlikely, however, this is just my opinion, but I think the longer those two go unannounced without saying anything, I think the better shot we have with them spending another season here. Just to get one of them back would be amazing.

This lineup right here would be so much fun to watch, you would have one of the more athletic, fun and better squads in the nation. I didn't include Phillips or Uros in there cause I don't believe they come back

As for the big man position, that needs to get filled. I like Aidoo but at times he goes phantom. I like him coming off the bench. Not sure where we go to look for a big, but it sure as heck would be nice to get Hunter Dickenson, obviously a snowballs chance in hell.

Last edited:

I'd be more than fine with Vescovi and Phillips returning. Maybe Jefferson based on his athleticism and the fact that he's so young/raw and has potential. The others I'd encourage to move on. We've seen years of ON, Plavi and JJJ. Time to turn the page on those guys.

Reactions: Namorto1
I wouldn't mind Vescovi and JJJ coming back. In order for uros to come back, he needs to **** or get off the pot. 7'1 big that's not aggressive down low and can't dunk. Imo, we can do a lot better than Uros, if not, we are in trouble

I was looking forward to Uros taking a shot at Edey. It would have been a good tryout for him to take his COVID waiver year at TN.

His offense certainly picked up in his late appearances, he took up a lot of space setting screens on the perimeter (and had cut down on the moving screen fouls).

As far as rebounding - they don’t record rebound assists. So if he was boxing out his assignment and rebounds fell into teammates’ hands then he did his job. I’d like to see the stats that expose who gives up offensive rebounds to opponents.

It is pretty sad that hitting close to 60% of his free throws would be a huge bonus for UP. I wonder if he’s the only regular in 35 years to never attempt a 3-pointer over a career?

VN Store

Back