2019 TN DT Elijah Simmons Commits to UT

They beat the crap out of Alabama in the NC game. I mean embarrassed them, and made them look like, by your standards, an ACC team. What more do you want Clemson to prove? Alabama ran the table in the SEC and looked totally unstoppable... before running into Clemson.

The SEC is a tough conference. Nobody denies that. I just fail to see the logic in speculating about whether Clemson would run the table in the SEC after they obliterated the team that actually did.
Because the players have to endure the gruel of the SEC gauntlet, whereas Clemson does not. SEC players have to be more dinged up and ran down by the end of each season.

I'm still glad Clemson won and hope they never lose to bummer again.

eff that. The last thing we need is a 3rd regional recruiting monster nearby. If not for them we may have Tee and Lawrence right now. And if you ever have to live in Western NC you will hate them. They think they're some sort of blueblood or major program. Screw those new kids on the block.

eff that. The last thing we need is a 3rd regional recruiting monster nearby. If not for them we may have Tee and Lawrence right now. And if you ever have to live in Western NC you will hate them. They think they're some sort of blueblood or major program. Screw those new kids on the block.
Butch had more to do with Tennessee not having them than Clemson did. Lawrence wanted to be a Vol, but Butch said he didn't fit his system.

Butch had more to do with Tennessee not having them than Clemson did. Lawrence wanted to be a Vol, but Butch said he didn't fit his system.

I remember the discussion on VN if Lawrence would fit the whatever Butch was running offensively.....More people wanted a running QB, or at least had the ability to escape like Dobbs....

No one really knew how good Lawrence would be, but of course, some here will take credit.

I know that is part of the narrative, true or not nobody knows, but c'mon. We still recruited him. Clemson and their recent success had something to do with that. They just developed Boyd and Watson and won a natty.

Higgins too. Then the memphis rb, greenville rb, and Tee's kid. Almost got crouch from us. Can't deny they are a serious thorn. I'd rather they bomb from a PED scandal and never heard from again.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I remember the discussion on VN if Lawrence would fit the whatever Butch was running offensively.....More people wanted a running QB, or at least had the ability to escape like Dobbs....

No one really knew how good Lawrence would be, but of course, some here will take credit.

That rumor makes less and less since when you consider Dormady, Mcbride, jg. Even his Cincy qb wasnt a big runner.

jmo but it was how ut fans tried to rationalize why he didnt come here. I also think TL is religious and Dabo's fake ass pulled the christian card just like freeze use to.

Clemson's last 7 classes were rated 15, 16, 9, 11, 16, 7 and 10. They've averaged outside the top 10 and won two NC's with those players. What they do well is evaluate players (note I didn't say "talent") better than the recruiting services. We don't know if Pruitt is doing that well or not. Hopeful that he is and we'll be competing with Bama in a couple more years.

Here is where the lack of context matters. I'm not sure which ranking service you used but I will use Rivals. I understand 247 is commonly used but I gravitate toward Rivals so that is what I will use.

Per Rivals Clemson class rankings (including 2019 though haven't played):
2019 - 9
2018 - 8
2017 - 22
2016 - 6
2015 - 4
2014 - 13

The key is context must be added to provide depth and insight to the argument. Clemson classes were more impressive in some cases for the exact opposite reasons that Butch Jones classes were less impressive.

In case it doesn't line up correctly the next sets of data will include # of 5 stars and total # of recruits each year again per Rivals.

2019 - 2/28
2018 - 6/17
2017 - 3/14
2016 - 3/22
2015 - 3/25
2014 - 1/22

Looking at the above 2019 or 2014 looks like the worst classes.

The players from 2019 are clearly new. Taking a closer look at 2014, that class included Deshaun Watson. By 2016 with the addition of 6 more 5-star players in 2015 and 2016 that appears to have lived up to the hype they win the NC.

Now take take a look at those impressive classes in 2017 and 2018. While those classes were only ranked 22 and 8 respectively, they only included 14 and 17 recruits. During those two years, they accumulated 9 5-star recruits including Trevor Lawrence in 2018. They were ranked low because of the lack of quantity.

So see context really matters. Almost like throwing out any other random statistic that is meant to be misleading based on the message the messenger hopes to convey.

GBO

Botch, botch is to blame.

Oh yeah, I live near Asheville and they DO suck. Can't wait until Dabo loses that horse shoe...

Reactions: Devo182
Clemson is the best team in college football. You can’t wish that away. Just like that nobody said roll tide

I don't want Clemson to fail. I love that there's a team that can shut the corn holes of 100's of thousands of idiots yelling ROW TIDE ! for what seems like an eternity , all in less than an hour of 1 game. I'd rather it be us, but in the meantime , it'll do . I want it to be us that shuts the mouths of the new Clemson fans when Clemson is at their very best , not because something bad happened to them, but because we rose to their level and surpassed them.

VN Store

Back