2018 Schedule - I dare

Although the OP went out on a limb, there sure are a lot of 8 wins will be enough for the first year folks on this post bashing the OP. Personally, I believe every game will be tough with exception to a few, but I do believe that barring the injury bug there aren't any definitive losses. Bama may have won the title, but at what cost? I saw a player go after a coach, I saw sloppiness, I saw a very undisciplined team. I may go down like Davy Crockett at the battle of the Alamo, but I believe the Bama Dynasty Bell is cracking and for once it showed. These things I saw had nothing to do with on field performance, because they are still 4-5 stars three deep. However, it was the discipline that has made Saban teams so good. The core Nucleus is gone in tuscaloosa. Daboll, although a good X's and O's coach doesn't seem to get into the rah rah and discipline sides as did Pruitt, Kirby, and Kiffin (yeah not a disciplinarian, but brings a swagger that players respond to).

Fire Away!

Reactions: 2 people
What about the experience of coaching high school, where you can have a huge change in team make up in one year. He has had to go from having a 300 pound 3 technique to a 185 pounder the next season. I think the flexibility in scheme needed to succeed in highschool coaching is going to be a valuable asset for Coach Pruitt.

I agree. Also, if you didn't know when Pruitt was a high school DC, his first game was against Tebow's team and Pruitt's team won. So I'd say he knows a little bit about what he's doing.

How Jeremy Pruitt went from Rush Propst's doorstep to million-dollar SEC coordinator | AL.com

What about the experience of coaching high school, where you can have a huge change in team make up in one year. He has had to go from having a 300 pound 3 technique to a 185 pounder the next season. I think the flexibility in scheme needed to succeed in highschool coaching is going to be a valuable asset for Coach Pruitt.

A. (In Allen Iverson voice) We talkin about high school? High school?

B. Hoover is damn near like coaching at IMG. They don't play teams with more talent than they have. They've won 11 state championships since 2000.

Reactions: 3 people
OP is probably part of the fan group that will start making threads this time next year asking if Pruitt "can get it done" or "is the guy" if he finishes with a 6-6 or 7-6 type year.

.....all because he didn't go 10-2.

We were 0-8 in conference and had the worst record in program history last year. Any game above .500 in 2018 and Pruitt exceeded expectations, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I'll just give one word of warning.

Pruitt, since coaching in college, has worked at Alabama, Georgia, and Florida State.

Not once in his college coaching career has he had to try to hide his unit's or team's deficiencies.

He didn't even have to worry about injuries. That's how loaded the rosters were on the defensive side of the ball where he happened to be.

Just keep that in mind

Those of us with any sense understand these and other issues are gonna likely lead to a reasonably steep learning curve for Jeremy. Clearly, the OP is not among those of us in this camp.

He’s not walking into a great situation and stacked roster like Smart did two years ago. Ton of work to be done here and likely a handful of hard lessons learned, including on game days.

But I believe he’s a very good hire here given his pedigree and familiarity with this league. He’s an elite recruiter among a staff of elite recruiters and he’s a great defensive mind...those 4 things there put him well on his way to good success at Tennessee. We’ll see how far he can take it.

Reactions: 1 person
Early predictions has WV ranked #10 in the country to start the season. It would be great to start the season with a win against a top 10 team. If only it could happen.

OP is probably part of the fan group that will start making threads this time next year asking if Pruitt "can get it done" or "is the guy" if he finishes with a 6-6 or 7-6 type year.

We were 0-8 in conference and had the worst record in program history last year. Any game above .500 in 2019 and Pruitt exceeded expectations, IMO.

2019? Did you mean 2018? I assume it’s a typo. Yes, 7-6 in 2018 is acceptable and ok. By 2019, year 2, he better win 9 games or more or history tells us he’s not the right guy.

2019? Did you mean 2018? I assume it’s a typo. Yes, 7-6 in 2018 is acceptable and ok. By 2019, year 2, he better win 9 games or more or history tells us he’s not the right guy.

Yes that was a typo, I meant 2018.

By 2019, I would be thrilled with 10 wins.

Sept. 1 vs. West Virginia (Charlotte, N.C.)

W 16 -10 Defense shines early, offense not so much.

Sept. 8 ETSU

W 48 - 12 Defense shows up again, weak ETSU
defense makes Ut offense look good.

Sept. 15 UTEP

W 38 - 22 Pruitt put subs in too soon.

Sept. 22 Florida

W 19 - 10 Pride on both struggling teams.

Sept. 29 at Georgia

L 38 - 16 Defense on the field too often.

Oct. 13 at Auburn

L 28 -14 Offense continues to lag behind defense
development.

Oct. 20 Alabama

W 19 -10 A shocking event. Offensive Line begins to assert itself. Backs and receivers show up in the 4th quarter.

Oct. 27 at South Carolina

W 46-26 Offense primed and confident. Pruitt inserts subs again too soon.

Nov. 3 Charlotte

W 49 - 10 Subs play a significant amount of time.

Nov. 10 Kentucky

W 50 - 10 Order of universe returns to form. But for three quarters Wildcats make it a game. Pruitt doesn’t sub this time.

Nov. 17 Missouri

W 54 - 26 Dooley hate is strong. Pruitt understands this and lets the beasts loose.

Nov. 24 at Vanderbilt

W 30 - 20 Revenge game, lots of penalties, lots of highlight plays. This is going to be a heck of a game fueled by pride, intra-state hatred, and lots of Vols fury. There will be bigger names in games in 2018 but this one has highlight championship all over it.

Freak.....can we get a separate board where these delusional morons can make their idiotic predictions visable only to themselves?

Last edited:
Weeeeeed doesn’t make you delusional bro.

Actually it kinda does. It happens to give you outrageous ideas and helps keep a positive vibe so everything sounds good. With that said, I’m not predicting 10-2, but I don’t think 8-4 is out of the realm.

This schedule reminds me a lot of 2016. FL, UGA, AU, Bama and USC. Like WTF? Anyone else have a schedule in the conference this brutal?! Answer is no.

Wow. Not even looking at the wins but some of the point totals...Peyton got a year of eligibility still or something?

We were 0-8 in conference and had the worst record in program history last year. Any game above .500 in 2018 and Pruitt exceeded expectations, IMO.

I ain't that kind of fan. if you knew my history on VN, that's the one thing you'd never me accuse of.

Last edited:
I’ll have whatever he’s having. But we are not beating Bama, USCe will be very good next year, and Missouri is still very winnable but has Lock coming back. (Even tho Dooley will be their OC). You have your expectations too high. We are completely changing schemes on both sides of the ball and lose some good players. Year 1 is gonna be full of growing pains

No, I don't think growing pains are going to be such an issue. It is too early to know for sure, because we have a few spots to fill in this class that could be immediate impact players, and we still don't know who the finished staff will include.

But the two reasons I feel optimistic now is 1) I feel a larger chunk of returning players are better than most think, and 2) I feel Pruitt has a definitive plan going forward. Even as I sit here typing, I am sure Pruitt is in an office meeting with his staff figuring out what is possible with the players they know will be here. Until they are allowed to get back on the road recruiting, we hope they are making good use of their time.

Yeah we are losing some good players, but we have some good talent that just needs coaching up. And I believe this staff will do that. Sure, there will be some growing pains, but if these guys are the teachers of the game they say, it shouldn't be that far beyond the pains of a normal year.

VN Store

Back