2018 Recruiting Class

What ranking system are you basing the players on? Offering players isn't always about rankings sometimes it's about team fit. Would some of the other players that went to the schools you mentioned have been great fits sure but would they just be another MeMe Jackson, Kortney Dunbar, Alex Fuller, no disrespect or would they be the Chamique Holdsclaw, Candace Parker, Tamika Catchings, or Glory Johnson's?

We've landed the top player (Hayes) from the state in 2017 and arguably the top player (Massengil) in 2018 after as some of you would say missing out on (but she was never interested in coming to UT) the top player in the state. (Dangerfield)

There are other players we are interested in that are not 5 stars but as with anything involving other making a decision you have to wait on the process.

Crawford plays 4/5 but was looking to play more 3/4 in college and we already received a verball commitment from MiMi Collins who would play some 4/3 in a pinch and are waiting for DeCosta to also play the 3/4 in a pinch both are better players than Crawford imo so do you pass on both of them if they are interested for the local kids who although a good player isn't the player that could get you over the hump?

Nice facts to derail the FAHR HOLLY SHE CAN'T RECRUIT agenda. Thanks, M.

Reactions: 2 people
The last few juco's we've brought in have been great! (You forgot about Shannon Bobbit and Alberta Auguste already).

Green will keep the trend of JUCO's going! I like our track record there. Especially with Reeves as coach because she has a great record of getting JUCO's!

The last JUCO was Jasmine Philips. JUCO player of the year. Just couldn't play at the D1 level.

That said, I too have high hopes for Green. And Bobbitt and Auguste were terrific.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think she is a step slow, I think she takes the Pat approach and is all about integrity, she isn't going to say or promise anything that she can't deliver and a lot of other coaches at other programs promises these players (and their parents and AAU coaches) things that get them to sign only to go back on their word.

Things like playing time, Jobs, $$, scholarships for their siblings who aren't very good, homes, cars, you name it, it happens. I have coached on the AAU circuit off and on for 15 years. You'd be amazed at what you can request and be given (or what they will offer you) if a school wants a kid that you have and they know that the child's parents have trusted you with making the decision for them and their child.

Yes, hear about this so often, but it is apparently not something the NCAA cares to stop in WCBB.

The last JUCO was Jasmine Philips. JUCO player of the year. Just couldn't play at the D1 level.

That said, I too have high hopes for Green. And Bobbitt and Auguste were terrific.

Talked to Bobbitt the other day. She would love to coach player development / guard skills at UT. Still in NYC.

Reactions: 5 people
Here is what were losing off the team that the freshmen and Green will have to replace. I can see the turnover stats and shooting stats being much better.

Diamond, Cooper, and Middleton stats. Diamond and Middleton from last season and Cooper from the one year she played all totaled together.

389 of 976 shot attempts for 39.8 percent. Three point shooting 94 of 285 32.9 percent. 248 assists and 259 turnovers for a 0.95 assist to turnover ratio.

The only good defensive player was Diamond. Cooper was ok but she was subject to the blow by many times. Middleton's biggest liability was defense.

PPG 33.4 freshmen and Green should definitely be able to match this total.

Welllll I didn't wanna say anything butttt �� Your explanation was better written though :-/
I think you will see Grayson's numbers go up as well because Ashley O. was getting a lot of permiter touches and scoring the ball at will.

Also people who are worried about Gabby Crawford need to remember you have Lanetta Williams (6-3 forward) coming thru in 19' from TN. So recruiting is just not for the now but for the future as well.
Crawford committed to Alabama.

Last edited:
You're welcome, and you're correct. I think she committed the afternoon after your morning post.

Yep! Saw highlights and she looks like she could contribute to a SEC team. I don't know how much it could be TN but ya never know :) !!!

and Auguste was athletic and decent--but that was a long time ago, and they were brought in because we needed players; our roster was thin. Sometimes they work out, but coaches turn to them when their recruiting hasn't panned out as hoped.

and Auguste was athletic and decent--but that was a long time ago, and they were brought in because we needed players; our roster was thin. Sometimes they work out, but coaches turn to them when their recruiting hasn't panned out as hoped.

Or if there is a really good JC person you could just fill in a hole left by an injury or transfer. Sometimes those things happen later than expected. Some coaches also fcfr in JC players into recruiting regularly... WVU, Texas A&M, and other programs have taken that approach. Auguste was athletic and a defensive stopper on a team that had other offensive weapons. Scoring wasn't what was asked of her but when TN got it, it was a bonus.

They were recruited for specific reason..... pat thought we were a PG and improved wing defense.... she nailed both pick ups.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back