2017 Endzone's Best Ball Challenge - AT&T Byron Nelson

People actually watch golf on TV?

Quote from 'Bagger Vance.'
Rannulph Junuh: You really love this game, don't you?
Hardy Greaves: It's the greatest game there is.
Rannulph Junuh: You really think so?
Hardy Greaves: Ask anybody. It's fun. It's hard and you stand out there on that green, green grass, and it's just you and the ball and there ain't nobody to beat up on but yourself; just like Mister Newnan keeps hittin' himself with the golf club every time he gets angry. He's broken his toe three times on account of it. It's the only game I know that you can call a penalty on yourself, if you're honest, which most people are. There just ain't no other game like it.

I'll watch in hopes the USGA doesn't go stupid again. If they do, I'll still watch and yell at the tv.

USGA needs to get away from the mindset that they've failed if someone shoots under par. I don't think anyone thinks the US Open should be easy, but you have to be reasonable. Chambers Bay was the worst. I don't know if it could be worse than that year.

USGA needs to get away from the mindset that they've failed if someone shoots under par. I don't think anyone thinks the US Open should be easy, but you have to be reasonable. Chambers Bay was the worst. I don't know if it could be worse than that year.

Adam Scott had a great interview about this topic and I find it spot on. They trick out the fairways and greens so that even good shots get punished in attempts to keep scores looking bad. And it's a horrible way to set up a golf course.

Last edited:
Quote from 'Bagger Vance.'
Rannulph Junuh: You really love this game, don't you?
Hardy Greaves: It's the greatest game there is.
Rannulph Junuh: You really think so?
Hardy Greaves: Ask anybody. It's fun. It's hard and you stand out there on that green, green grass, and it's just you and the ball and there ain't nobody to beat up on but yourself; just like Mister Newnan keeps hittin' himself with the golf club every time he gets angry. He's broken his toe three times on account of it. It's the only game I know that you can call a penalty on yourself, if you're honest, which most people are. There just ain't no other game like it.

I enjoy playing, I just don't watch.

Adam Scott had a great interview about this topic and I find it spot on. They trick out the fairways and greens so that even good shots get punished in attempts to keep scores looking bad. And it's a horrible way to set up a golf course.

That is spot on, and we end up with the luckiest golfer winning instead of the best golfer. I'm totally fine with growing up the rough, but golfers deserve to be rewarded for keeping it on fairways and greens.

I just saw the rough at Erin Hills. There will be lost balls there next week.

Between forecaddies, fans, and the five minute search rule, they're typically found. However, that kind of rough makes it all but impossible to stop a ball on the green, all the more reason to not double roll and burn the greens in an attempt to keep scores from getting too low.

VN Store

Back