2016-2017 Vols

Most health websites say 18 on average for a male, as I already stated Williams is a year ahead, so it's actually more likely he continues to grow than to just stop according to all the sources I've seen when you factor in his age. Now, how much remains the question, but I don't think it's accurate to say he's more likely to be done growing completely than it is to say he could still grow some.

I'm talking more in generalities than in reference to Williams himself. Williams may grow another inch or two and he may not. Expecting it to happen as if it's a certainty seems like a stretch. Williams' age may make him the exception.

I'm talking more in generalities than in reference to Williams himself. Williams may grow another inch or two and he may not. Expecting it to happen as if it's a certainty seems like a stretch. Williams' age may make him the exception.

You are acting like this rarely happens when in reality it's not true. It happens to quite a few players.

I already gave you the Wiltjer example & another member gave you Bowden as another example. It happens way more than you're letting on. That's what I don't get. I don't know how young or old you are.

I just know in my 40+ years of playing & following basketball I've seen a many players grow through their high school into their college years.

I'm no fool about that when I've personally seen it happen & hear of it from all over too. What does it take to get you to realize what you're claiming is not true?

You are acting like this rarely happens when in reality it's not true. It happens to quite a few players.

I already gave you the Wiltjer example & another member gave you Bowden as another example. It happens way more than you're letting on. That's what I don't get. I don't know how young or old you are.

I just know in my 40+ years of playing & following basketball I've seen a many players grow through their high school into their college years.

I'm no fool about that when I've personally seen it happen & hear of it from all over too. What does it take to get you to realize what you're claiming is not true?

Pay real close attention here...I'm not saying it's impossible for college players to continue growing.

I'm saying that your statement; "He should grow another inch or two...", makes it sound like you just automatically expect it to happen. For every player you can name that has hit a late growth spurt, I can name a dozen who didn't, so it's not a foregone conclusion (or even commonplace) that someone will grow any more at that age, yet you seem to just expect it to happen as if every basketball player continues to grow during college.

It really is a dumb argument, but I just wondered why you automatically assumed he'd just sprout up a couple inches during college. Just because you can name a handful of players who did doesn't mean they all do.

Pay real close attention here...I'm not saying it's impossible for college players to continue growing.

I'm saying that your statement; "He should grow another inch or two...", makes it sound like you just automatically expect it to happen. For every player you can name that has hit a late growth spurt, I can name a dozen who didn't, so it's not a foregone conclusion (or even commonplace) that someone will grow any more at that age, yet you seem to just expect it to happen as if every basketball player continues to grow during college.

It really is a dumb argument, but I just wondered why you automatically assumed he'd just sprout up a couple inches during college. Just because you can name a handful of players who did doesn't mean they all do.

Did I say he should or he will grow an inch or two? There's a difference in the words should & will. I grew myself 4" between my freshman & sophomore season in high school. I was only 5'5" as a freshman. I was up to 5'9" as a sophomore. Yeah, I was a short & still am. I made it up to 5'10" by my senior season of playing basketball. So, I grew a total of 5" during high school alone.

I'm not saying the 5" growth got me a scholarship when it got me to 5'10" but it certainly helped because as a shrimp at 5'5" wouldn't have gotten me many offers. It did get me to an NAIA school though in which I enjoyed 4 years of not only playing college basketball but getting me a degree which was more important.

Listen. I'm done going back & forth on this growth issue. You have your view & I have mine. No hard feelings buddy & that's something you will NEVER see coming from me no matter what the disagreement/argument is all about. Thanks!

There are exceptions, but most people have reached their height by age 18-19, some at age 16. I don't expect player to grow much taller after they enter college unless they enter school when they are less than 18 years old. In addition teens seem to be maturing at a younger age now than did 10-20 years ago.

Wiltjer was a MC Ds AA who won three straight titles. He was a top 20 player. He did not grow six inches after his senior year. He would not have even been recruited or an All American if he was 6'3 when he graduated. You make a lot of stuff up.

Wiltjer was a MC Ds AA who won three straight titles. He was a top 20 player. He did not grow six inches after his senior year. He would not have even been recruited or an All American if he was 6'3 when he graduated. You make a lot of stuff up.

Do I need to get a link to prove that Wiltjer grew that much in 1 year? I can get that for you if you like. I've read that article a couple of times. I don't remember from who it was from but I'm sure Google can find it for me. :)

I believe it was from a Washington state newspaper. I'll just go ahead & find it to prove I don't make anything up. I don't come on here to tell lies like some others.

Do I need to get a link to prove that Wiltjer grew that much in 1 year? I can get that for you if you like. I've read that article a couple of times. I don't remember from who it was from but I'm sure Google can find it for me. :)

I believe it was from a Washington state newspaper. I'll just go ahead & find it to prove I don't make anything up. I don't come on here to tell lies like some others.

Follow-up notes with Kyle Wiltjer - CoachCal.com

7th paragraph down Wiltjer himself said he never went thru a major growth spurt. And he showed up the UK at 6'10.

We're all wrong here from time to time TB. Its okay, really.

Reactions: 1 person
Follow-up notes with Kyle Wiltjer - CoachCal.com

7th paragraph down Wiltjer himself said he never went thru a major growth spurt. And he showed up the UK at 6'10.

We're all wrong here from time to time TB. Its okay, really.

Thanks for that article Lefty. I could have sworn who that I'm thinking about was Wiltjer. It was a white guy for sure. A player in the past 5 years that played college basketball. I thought it was him but I was wrong. I don't care to admit when I'm wrong. :)

I just know there was a player that grew 6'' from one year to the next that played college basketball. It may have been from a mid-major conference. I was thinking I read an article about this but it might have been an announcer in one of the NCAA tourney or conference championship games that mentioned this about this player. Probably will never find out who I'm thinking of now but I will dig to find out.

Anyhow, sorry for the confusion guys. I was wrong about the player's name. I do know though there was a player in the past 5 years this happened to. This isn't the first time I was wrong & won't be the last either. :p:)

Please do. I googled and binged. I didn't see it. He was a McDs AA and a 3 time state champion top player. He was a five star recruit who was already that height. UK wouldn't have given him a scholly at 6'3 or 6'4. He doen't have guard skills. Def not AA guard skills.

Please do. I googled and binged. I didn't see it. He was a McDs AA and a 3 time state champion top player. He was a five star recruit who was already that height. UK wouldn't have given him a scholly at 6'3 or 6'4. He doen't have guard skills. Def not AA guard skills.

I will try to find out the player I'm thinking/talking about. I won't promise I will find it but I will do my best. Google is pretty good at finding just about anything. :)

Thanks for that article Lefty. I could have sworn who that I'm thinking about was Wiltjer. It was a white guy for sure. A player in the past 5 years that played college basketball. I thought it was him but I was wrong. I don't care to admit when I'm wrong. :)

I just know there was a player that grew 6'' from one year to the next that played college basketball. It may have been from a mid-major conference. I was thinking I read an article about this but it might have been an announcer in one of the NCAA tourney or conference championship games that mentioned this about this player. Probably will never find out who I'm thinking of now but I will dig to find out.

Anyhow, sorry for the confusion guys. I was wrong about the player's name. I do know though there was a player in the past 5 years this happened to. This isn't the first time I was wrong & won't be the last either. :p:)
Anthony Davis maybe.

Reactions: 1 person
That doesn't surprise me as much. Not all that uncommon for a guy to hit a big spurt at that age. Like Calban said, Anthony Davis is another prominent example of that.

It would be rare for a guy to grow that much after high school though.

That's true but a kid growing an inch or two while in college isn't out of the question either. That's what I got attacked on saying.

That Grant Williams could grow one to two inches from now til his senior season. That's very possible more than not likely.

That's true but a kid growing an inch or two while in college isn't out of the question either. That's what I got attacked on saying.

That Grant Williams could grow one to two inches from now til his senior season. That's very possible more than not likely.

Attacked? You ain't never seen attacked on here if you think you were.

VN Store

Back