2014 F Kevon Looney

Jerry Meyer (247 national analyst) just tweeted that Tennessee is a legit contender. Eric Bossi (rivals national analyst) has said the same as well. Obviously nothing we don't know, but seeing national guys recognizing where the Vols are with Looney is a positive IMO.

Reactions: 1 person
“@ebosshoops: Have said from beginning I think they have a great chance. Can they close? We'll see but they are for real in his recruitment.”

I've told Rob for a while now that I think the Vols are very much legitimate contenders here. Since pretty much the beginning of 2013 I've had people close to the scene in Milwaukee swearing up and down that the Vols were for real in this recruitment and that's what I continue to hear. Does that mean they get Looney? I don't know. But from what I've heard , Zo has done the best job of making Looney's parents feel comfortable with him as the coach.Only time will tell, but he is certainly (and I don't think ever has been) the Duke lock so many were making him out to be during the summer.

-Eric Bossi (rivals national analyst)

Sh!t just got real!

Reactions: 2 people
I'm trying not to get my hopes up but I'm a little optimistic here. I don't expect Duke to be a legit national championship contender next year either.

FWIW his recent followers are Aj Davis and Pops. Just something I find interesting. He didn't follow anybody from Duke or anything so hmm.

No update from Looney, Clint Jackson just posted his thoughts on where he thinks things stand.

He doesn't believe Looney is a lock to Duke at all, feels like Tennessee has picked up some momentum lately and is a real player (as we have been thinking as well) along with Florida and Michigan State.

-Rob Lewis

Reactions: 1 person
BTO, if we land Looney, do you think it would be the biggest get in school history? It would have to be up there for sure. I just think if Cuonzo pulls this off, it really says a lot about his recruiting ability.

BTO, if we land Looney, do you think it would be the biggest get in school history? It would have to be up there for sure. I just think if Cuonzo pulls this off, it really says a lot about his recruiting ability.

Tobias is probably still the biggest ranking wise. Looney is potientially a 2 year player. Depends on how deep the draft is.

Scotty Hopson is one of the best gets in the school's history. At the time he was the number 5 prospect and the number 2 SG. Before 2000s, I couldn't tell ya - that's where germanicus comes in.

That's kinda why I asked.. I figured there would be a lot of different opinions on it. You could make a strong case for several guys

It would be up there with Harris. For Martin, to go up north, and pull a guy like this when you haven't made a tourney says a lot. Pearl had been winning and had the program at its peak when he landed Tobias. To be able to land this type of player with no tourney appearances would mean you're a hell of a recruiter. If Martin can start winning it would make me very optimistic for him being able to recruit great talent going forward.

Scotty Hopson is one of the best gets in the school's history. At the time he was the number 5 prospect and the number 2 SG. Before 2000s, I couldn't tell ya - that's where germanicus comes in.

The reason I would put looney over Hopson, and Harris over Hopson is distance. Hopson was from close by, and he didn't have the home school begging for him iirc. Pulling a guy from NY or WI is a whole different level of recruiting IMO.

It would be up there with Harris. For Martin, to go up north, and pull a guy like this when you haven't made a tourney says a lot. Pearl had been winning and had the program at its peak when he landed Tobias. To be able to land this type of player with no tourney appearances would mean you're a hell of a recruiter. If Martin can start winning it would make me very optimistic for him being able to recruit great talent going forward.

I couldn't agree more.

VN Store

Back