2012 commitment list

Vol66 thanks for all the info. I hope we don't lose many in June.

Hayden Stone, a RHP from Columbia, TN has a 7-2 record with a 1.91 e.r.a. He struck out 100 batters in 61 innings pitched and only walked 7 all year. Uses a fastball and cutter to get ahead of guys then breaks off a devistating slider. He was 88-91 with the fastball Monday night.

Baseball America 2012 Draft Prospect Rankings:

BaseballAmerica.com: Draft: Early Draft Preview: 2012 Draft: Prospects No. 101-200

174. Vincent Jackson "Most scouts see him as a corner outfielder down the line, and may choose to take a run at him after three seasons at Tennessee."

183. AJ Simcox "He may not have the present speed or power for teams to buy him out of Tennessee, but his defensive ability and improved bat make Simcox an intriguing fourth-round talent."

Also there's this...
Our First S2S 2012 MLB Mock Draft: Supplemental First Round - Seedlings to Stars - A Minor League Baseball Site - Draft and Prospect News, Blogs, Opinion and More
Has Houser going in the first round (35th overall) to the Mets. BA doesn't even list him in their top 200, which includes 13 catchers, 6 of which are in high school. Interesting. I have to think these guys are way off on this even though I have heard commentary about him being arguably the best HS catcher in the country. We'll just have to wait and see.

I like BA's comments on Vincent and AJ that they may be better off going to school. I hope the kids share that philosophy.

I know there's some talk that the in state signees are weak this year, but I found this quote from Perfect Game.

With that impressive bit of recent draft history as a backdrop, Tennessee’s 2012 draft class isn't as strong. Not only is it likely that the state won’t produce a first-rounder this year, but the high-school ranks may not have a single player taken in the first 10 rounds.

Serrano can only work with what he's got and the state doesn't have much top flight baseball talent in the HS ranks for 2012.

I know there's some talk that the in state signees are weak this year, but I found this quote from Perfect Game.

Serrano can only work with what he's got and the state doesn't have much top flight baseball talent in the HS ranks for 2012.

That also means that the guys that we signed will also be coming to school. If the players are too good, they wouldnt even think about school. Im 100% with what your saying, im just shedding different light.

More Baseball America stock report... Went to 500 this time.

454. Tyler Smith "...touches 95 mph with his fastball... profiles as a reliever. Committed to attend Tennessee next year, Smith was 10-1, 1.13 with 102 strikeouts and 35 walks in 80 innings this season."

464. Adam Giacalone - .395/12 HR/59 RBI 95.2 IP/1.90 ERA/88 K/7 BB

Also Steckenrider... 365. "Steckenrider annoyed area scouts in high school with his inconsistent effort while teasing them with his tools... Physically gifted at 6-foot-5, 230 pounds, Steckenrider has huge raw power as a hitter but lacks the feel for the barrel... he'll go out on the mound... He lacks the instincts to start... His changeup improved under Serrano's tutelage but his breaking ball remains below-average."

Players of note outside top 500:

Tennessee
Drake Owenby: TN Rank-11, "his signability the big question mark" "touched 92 mph and regularly sat in the 87-90 mph range"

Andrew Lee: TN Rank-24

Michael Parrish: TN Rank-32

This list is of all prospects, HS, Juco, and College. Interesting to note that Vandy signed no one from this list (due to the death of Stephen Gant). Only 7 of the top 35 players are from high school in TN. 2 more from Juco(Walters State). We got 4 of those guys with the 3 I just listed plus Simcox.

South Carolina

Tyler Smith: SC Rank-13

Not on the list of: David Houser (who I've heard from unreliable sources is arguably the best HS catcher in the country, obviously not in the eyes of the BA staff)

Andrew Lee, prior to injury, would have cracked the top 10 had be not been so adamant about attending school rather than signing.

Looks like a good news/bad news type day. Good news, don't see any Tennessee commits drafted (which is also the bad news). Are Jackson, Simcox and Houser the only ones that TN should really be concerned with being drafted/going pro?

Thanks

Looks like a good news/bad news type day. Good news, don't see any Tennessee commits drafted (which is also the bad news). Are Jackson, Simcox and Houser the only ones that TN should really be concerned with being drafted/going pro?

Thanks

Look back a page. Giacalone and Tyler Smith are juco guys and probable middle rounders. Thats a very hit or miss kind of range for the types of players they are.

I think they both stand to gain from college. Giacalone has a chance to be an All-American utility guy for us. Really hope to see him in orange. It appears Houser is almost certainly coming to school with him not showing up on most draft boards that I've seen. All of the high school guys seem to have signability issues which should send them to school.

I think Jackson and Smith are our biggest concerns. Thats just a gut feel though.

I talked with Simcox's dad at the state tourney and he should be at UT this fall.

So it appears we are through the meat of it. Giacalone should give it another year. All he has to do is be himself for a year in the SEC and he moves up 10 rounds. No-brainer as I see it. Jackson is better than that also. I agree that it is very doubtful that he signs.

It looks like we may have completely dodged the draft. Here's hoping we did. Go Vols!

VN Store

Back