'19 FL PG Tre Mann

I honestly haven't watched anything on either but on the surface I'd rather have Mann if it was an either/or case. I know it's not cause if we get Lecque it's gonna be in this 2018 class. But give me the top 50 guy who is a potential 3 or 4 year player over the 1 and done.

But what if Lecque the one and done can help next year team get to final 4 ?

Reactions: 1 person
The only thing Ramar could shoot was a stolen gun. Should’ve never been at UT. Everyone else quit recruiting him for a reason.

You’re crazy.

He couldn’t shoot but he was electric in transition and at the time provided another dimension to our offense. His ability to penetrate from the top of the key and kick it out to an open shooter is a big reason why Lofton and Smith combined for like 40 points per game in 06-07.

I’m not gonna argue with you about his character, but writing him off for being a poor shooter is a dumb argument. We had Lofton and Smith, we didn’t need any more shooters, we needed a guy like him who could push the tempo and score points in transition. He was a perfect fit for Pearl’s system.

People forget that as a true freshman he was the 3rd leading scorer on a team that came within 1 point of making the Elite 8 and ended the year in the top 25.

You’re crazy.

He couldn’t shoot but he was electric in transition and at the time provided another dimension to our offense. His ability to penetrate from the top of the key and kick it out to an open shooter is a big reason why Lofton and Smith combined for like 40 points per game in 06-07.

I’m not gonna argue with you about his character, but writing him off for being a poor shooter is a dumb argument. We had Lofton and Smith, we didn’t need any more shooters, we needed a guy like him who could push the tempo and score points in transition. He was a perfect fit for Pearl’s system.

People forget that as a true freshman he was the 3rd leading scorer on a team that came within 1 point of making the Elite 8 and ended the year in the top 25.

Agree with all that, but will say that he seemed to regress as a sophomore. That could have had as much to do with his off-court relationships and dealing, as anything. Even lost his starting job to Jordan Howell, at one point.

I was told by a friend who knew his academic advisor that Ramar told her in the fall of his SO year that he didn't need to register for spring classes because he would be gone to the NBA. 😟

Where was CJ ranked?

He wasn’t. But that was the first year Rivals had rankings. Not sure if those rankings are worth looking at.

He was the 13th rated PG. Dane Bradshaw was 24th a year later and was ranked 133 overall.

Edit: Looks like in 2002 Rivals didn't do a top 150. CJ is ranked a 3* but in 2003 he would have been a 4*.

Last edited:
I don’t recall Watson being that high, was he?

He wasn’t. But that was the first year Rivals had rankings. Not sure if those rankings are worth looking at.

He was the 13th rated PG. Dane Bradshaw was 24th a year later and was ranked 133 overall.

Edit: Looks like in 2002 Rivals didn't do a top 150. CJ is ranked a 3* but in 2003 he would have been a 4*.

Obviously not exact but yea in 2003 Ryan Appleby was the #13 PG in the country and ranked #63 overall, 2004 #13 was #68, 2005 #13 was #86...so yea I would say Watson was somewhere between 65-85 nationally...so quite possibly Mann would be highest ranked PG landed by Tennessee ever. Doesn’t mean he will be the best, just means these rankings only go back so far, but would be a great get obviously.

Obviously not exact but yea in 2003 Ryan Appleby was the #13 PG in the country and ranked #63 overall, 2004 #13 was #68, 2005 #13 was #86...so yea I would say Watson was somewhere between 65-85 nationally...so quite possibly Mann would be highest ranked PG landed by Tennessee ever. Doesn’t mean he will be the best, just means these rankings only go back so far, but would be a great get obviously.

First time I ever realized that CJ was really more like a 4*.

Rivals as we know it now was just getting started.

Agree with all that, but will say that he seemed to regress as a sophomore. That could have had as much to do with his off-court relationships and dealing, as anything. Even lost his starting job to Jordan Howell, at one point.

I was told by a friend who knew his academic advisor that Ramar told her in the fall of his SO year that he didn't need to register for spring classes because he would be gone to the NBA. 😟

That last part is pretty sad considering how things turned out.

I think the biggest reason for his dip in production as a sophomore was the addition of Tyler Smith. Bruce used Tyler the same way as he used Ramar in a lot of respects and Tyler embraced the Point Forward role by leading the team in assists. Ramar excelled offensively when he had the ball in his hands whether it be a fast break layup or slashing his way into the paint to free up a perimeter look for one of our shooters.

It turns out that Tyler Smith was also good at that stuff in addition to being 7 inches taller than Ramar, more versatile and better at rebounding.

The timing worked out better for Tyler at that time because in his dual role as Point Forward he provided the front court depth that we needed at the time. The season before Tyler transferred in our front court consisted of Chism and Crews (both freshman) and Ryan Childress.

I went through those 2003 rankings and the final position rankings don't match the final 150 rankings.

Point remains but the 2003 rankings were still kinda wonky. Regardless it puts CJ around the top 75 and should have been a 4*.

I went through those 2003 rankings and the final position rankings don't match the final 150 rankings.

Point remains but the 2003 rankings were still kinda wonky. Regardless it puts CJ around the top 75 and should have been a 4*.

No doubt, best PG Tennessee has had in a loooong time and had a NBA career, I think we’d all sign up for that from Mann if we land him.

My memory may be a little fuzzy, but I remember CJ being a top 85 player, too. I don't recall if I was using Rivals then or not, but I thought it was a good recruit for Buzz.

My memory may be a little fuzzy, but I remember CJ being a top 85 player, too. I don't recall if I was using Rivals then or not, but I thought it was a good recruit for Buzz.

I seemed to recall reading Top 75 in some stuff about him so that all sounds about right, still would be a bit behind where many have Mann (Top 40).

Maze was a 3-star Top 150 nationally coming out of HS when he signed with Oklahoma. #136 on Rivals to be exact. By that time, Rivals and the other big sites basically stopped paying attention to JUCO recruits. I do seem to remember him being rated very highly when he came out of JUCO by one of the few sites that still covered JUCO's extensively at the time. Just can't remember who it was.

Last edited:
Bmaze was a top 150 player out of high school. Was given the token 3* rating as a juco.

Still isn’t anywhere close to Top 40 like Mann is...Josh Selby would beat him out but obviously he needed up at Kansas not Tennessee.

So from the best I can tell Tre Mann would be the highest ranked point guard commit by Rivals/247/ESPN that Tennessee has ever gotten. Go get him Barnes!!!

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back