'18 TN TE Jacob Warren (UT Commit 5/24/17)

OV this weekend...

THE SKINNY: The Vol legacy is an early enrollee and plans to take his one and only official visit this weekend. The Farragut tight end has not visited any other schools since taking his cross-country trip to Oregon and then committing to Tennessee shortly thereafter.

-VQ

Reactions: 8 people
Listening to VQ podcast, Warren told Simonton he was nervous after new staff was hired but that Pruitt called him right away and said they watched his film and really want him to sign with UT.

Reactions: 15 people
Listening to VQ podcast, Warren told Simonton he was nervous after new staff was hired but that Pruitt called him right away and said they watched his film and really want him to sign with UT.

That's good news. Much like Ollie Lane, when players you think can be contributors are this close to campus, you have to make them a priority.

After a long and winding — and nervous — search, Warren got the reassurance he was looking for late last week. New head coach Jeremy Pruitt called Warren last Thursday and told the Vol legacy, whose father James played offensive line for Phillip Fulmer in the early 1990s, that he still had a spot at Tennessee. “That’s kind of been the whole problem with them not having a coach in there is just you don’t really know if the new guy will come in and want you, still honor your commitment,” Warren told VolQuest.

“I talked to coach Pruitt on Thursday on the phone and he told me then they would honor my commitment and they still wanted me and that the offensive staff was impressed with my highlights. That was very reassuring because obviously a lot of dudes have had their offers taken away and they’ve had to find somewhere else to play out. Thankfully, that didn’t happen to me. It definitely stinks it happened to them, but I’m just glad that’s something I don’t have to worry about.”

“I’ve been anxious to meet coach Pruitt and talk with him 1-on-1. I’m reassured now that we got the right guy. It was good just to talk to him. It was good to sit down and just talk with him. “My impression of him is that he’s ready to get to work. He’s ready to go. He’s just a man who works hard and takes pride in what he does. He wants to be the best. That’s definitely a quality of a leader that’s good for the program.”

Pruitt wants Warren to hit the weights hard this offseason and challenged the local product to be prepared for “what it takes to be successful in the SEC.” Warren finished his senior year with 39 catches for 659 yards and eight touchdowns, but he still needs to develop as a physical blocker on the line of scrimmage.

Warren enjoyed just getting to know Pruitt and Friend a little bit, even offer some local suggestions as a longtime resident of the area. Friend solicited some restaurants from Warren, who told him that Market Square and Gay Street are the hot spots in town and to checkout Cafe 4 and Nama. "He wanted to know places to take his wife out for a date night," Warren said, chuckling.

-VQ

Reactions: 3 people
Pruitt wants Warren to hit the weights hard this offseason and challenged the local product to be prepared for “what it takes to be successful in the SEC.” Warren finished his senior year with 39 catches for 659 yards and eight touchdowns, but he still needs to develop as a physical blocker on the line of scrimmage.

I do not believe I have ever done this before but I recall a certain poster who said this after the Bradley game and he was lambasted for not supporting players who were committed. Was not the case since I said he just looked liked a WR playing TE. If he works hard and I think he will, he will be a good one for us.

Reactions: 2 people

I do not believe I have ever done this before but I recall a certain poster who said this after the Bradley game and he was lambasted for not supporting players who were committed. Was not the case since I said he just looked liked a WR playing TE. If he works hard and I think he will, he will be a good one for us.

It's obvious he has to gain weight and be able to block. He is tall and runs well and can catch the football. I would rather take a player that you can redshirt and allow them to gain weight than take someone who looks like a physical specimen buy has no athletic ability. If they are huge in high school and can't compete against inferior competition why do you think they will perform against better competition? Adding muscle is something that can be guaranteed with a lot of hard work and time.

Wait did anybody NOT think Warren needs to RS, hit the weights, and gain some serious weight before he’s ready for SEC play?

VN Store

Back