'18 QB (Grad Transfer option) Gardner Minshew

Well blame those guys then not the QB! :)

20 guys signed, leaving 3 spots for '18, right? My guess is we take up to 3 grad tranfers (QB, CB, OL) if they find good fits and blueshirt Davis and Norwood. If we only take 1 grad transfer Norwood and Davis could count in '18 class then right?

These one year trade offs make me hate the QB’s. Specially if all we get in return is experienced splinters in the azz. We have either 22 or 23 available spots. If it’s 22 and we’re in on that last difference maker next year? :pinch: Rob Pete...Paul sure doesn’t mind, but Mary will bi*** about it when the bills come due.

These one year trade offs make me hate the QB’s. Specially if all we get in return is experienced splinters in the azz. We have either 22 or 23 available spots. If it’s 22 and we’re in on that last difference maker next year? :pinch: Rob Pete...Paul sure doesn’t mind, but Mary will bi*** about it when the bills come due.

I agree with this. I haven't seen one grad transfer that looks like a difference maker. Could they come in and win a starting job. Sure, but odds are they would just be adding depth. Which isn't a bad thing necessarily but giving up a spot next year on depth for this year seems like a lot to give up. Now if we have enough spots to count them in this class then fine.

What happens if JG gets hurt? We roll with McBride or the freshman? I’d definitely feel more comfortable with an experienced grad transfer on the roster even if he ended up just being depth. Jmo

Reactions: 2 people
Disagree..They are looking for a guy who fits their system and could potentially start day 1. JG and McBride are Spread QB's and they are Looking for guys better suited for our offense. It's def for more than just a safety net. He would immediately be the best option when he arrived on campus. Chryst also would be if he chose to come here and he's visiting this weekend.

McBride is better suited to spread but JG can fit either offense. In recruiting I thought he was a perfect spread QB but after seeing him play and move he actually seems better suited for pro style. He appears to be more of a straightline runner that needs time to build up speed and slow in the quick side to side movements. Some of that could be he is thinking too much and worried about how he looks doing it instead of doing it. I always have seeing a QB be robotic in his movements because they are worried about how they look doing something just go do it.

But? You’re doing that with Guarantano? :huh:

I have done absolutely nothing of the sort with JG. Matter of fact my past posts have done nothing but defend JG and think he's better than most think. I just wanna see him coached by this staff before calling him a bust like many have. The ONLY thing I Have said was he's not the sure fire guaranteed starter like you're claiming. I wanted JG starting game 1 last year over Dormady. Hell I've seen posters say Dormady and McBride were better than JG last year and the stats say differently. Plus JG played in the harder part of the schedule when you factor in games vs bowl teams. But immediately claiming he's already starting and the best option of anyone we have or anyone coming in is just not accurate. That will be decided over the next 7+ months not my fans or posters. I would love to see JG have an Erik Ainge or J.Crompton type turnaround under Pruitt and Helton. That would be a helluva QB recruiting tool for the next batch of QB's they recruit. Would be hard to recruit elite QB's if they are all inconsistent and not developing. ButI have never once said JG wouldn't be our starter. You have to factor in how he mesh's with the new staff, the different no BS mentality from coach's none of our players are used to. The how does he adapt to a system he's never played in and wasn't recruited to play in. He could just as easily come out of Spring Practice and decide his strengths are better suited for the spread and what he wants to play in. If that's degrading JG or anyone else then the era we live in now is officially in full Pu$$7 mode.

What happens if JG gets hurt? We roll with McBride or the freshman? I’d definitely feel more comfortable with an experienced grad transfer on the roster even if he ended up just being depth. Jmo

I don't have a huge problem with adding depth, I just question whether bringing in a guy just for depth for one year is worth next years spot. It certainly wasn't with Shaq Wiggins. I also don't think any of the grad transfer qbs being mentioned are that good, much less likely starters as some are saying. Our qb situation certainly isn't ideal but personally I'd rather roll with what we have. If it doesn't work out then take some of my ecreds. haha

Reactions: 1 person
Little man. That's a good one. And for giving you permission to state yer opinions and insult anyone who disagrees with you, yer welcome.

You sure showed me..lmao.. I've never said anything about anyone disagreeing with me. We are all allowed our opinion. Apparently you already know who will thrive under the new Coach's and who won't, even ones who aren't even on campus yet. That's truly a gift you need to capitalize on and wish I shared that gift. Last time I'm gonna repeat this. If the Coach's think a QB or whoever is good enough to come in and atleast compete for a job, then I will side with them . I'm sure your ability to do this is second to none, but I much prefer to watch and let it play out.But please post the 2 deep starting lineup and maybe the QB stats if you don't mind. Then as it plays out in real time, I'll be the first one to give you mad props and be a lifetime fan. Actually better yet, I don't want what's gonna happen, It would take the fun out of it. Maybe share with an administrator to have it documented then after every game he could share what you already knew. Possibly have a forum just for that, so we could come check out after every game. That would be super cool and benefit the administrator's and companies that who pay for their ads to be on here. That kind of extra site traffic could get you paid a little bit. As a fellow Vol fan, I hope it works out for you and no need to credit me for the idea.It was inspired by your words!

I agree with this. I haven't seen one grad transfer that looks like a difference maker. Could they come in and win a starting job. Sure, but odds are they would just be adding depth. Which isn't a bad thing necessarily but giving up a spot next year on depth for this year seems like a lot to give up. Now if we have enough spots to count them in this class then fine.

I advocated for Wiggins last year and still feel like he was a player...just wasted. But the net effect is what is that spot doing for us NOW? Of course I trust the coaches to manage the roster (what choice is there?), but I equate this blueshirting for coaches to college kids with credit cards. You just need this “one last thing”. They pay it off before their kids get their own financial excuses. :thud:

McBride is better suited to spread but JG can fit either offense. In recruiting I thought he was a perfect spread QB but after seeing him play and move he actually seems better suited for pro style. He appears to be more of a straightline runner that needs time to build up speed and slow in the quick side to side movements. Some of that could be he is thinking too much and worried about how he looks doing it instead of doing it. I always have seeing a QB be robotic in his movements because they are worried about how they look doing something just go do it.

I can definitely agree with what you're saying. I was on Team JG all last year and thought he got a bad rap by many fans. He earned my respect with all the hits and beatings he took, yet continued to get up. He never sold out his teammates nor did he call them out during the games. Then when he took time to spend with that boy who was getting bullied, I became an even bigger fan. That shows great character and wasn't something he had to do. Only thing I have continued to say to the ones already guaranteeing he is our starter is that he definitely isn't. He most likely ends up being the starter and with the good coaching he could live up to his recruiting hype. He definitely has the tools, now he can hopefully put it all together. Playing QB is just as much mental as it is physical and a guy can have all the tools, but if he's not mentally strong enough it won't matter. Biggest thing will be can he react and see the field better, can he learn to read the defense better and go through his progressions. Some hits he took was his fault by holding the ball too long but other times it was on the OLine and receiver's not getting open. Another factor will be how does he bond with Pruitt, Helton and his other Coach's? There will be a completely different and more disciplined coaching than what he's had. Does he buy in and bust his @$$ or will the immunity we saw at times interfere? I'm really looking forward to seeing who else they bring in and following the QB battle the next 6-7 months. Definitely believe we see much better QB and WR play, but being 108 in passing offense we can only get better lol.

I have done absolutely nothing of the sort with JG. Matter of fact my past posts have done nothing but defend JG and think he's better than most think. I just wanna see him coached by this staff before calling him a bust like many have. The ONLY thing I Have said was he's not the sure fire guaranteed starter like you're claiming. I wanted JG starting game 1 last year over Dormady. Hell I've seen posters say Dormady and McBride were better than JG last year and the stats say differently. Plus JG played in the harder part of the schedule when you factor in games vs bowl teams. But immediately claiming he's already starting and the best option of anyone we have or anyone coming in is just not accurate. That will be decided over the next 7+ months not my fans or posters. I would love to see JG have an Erik Ainge or J.Crompton type turnaround under Pruitt and Helton. That would be a helluva QB recruiting tool for the next batch of QB's they recruit. Would be hard to recruit elite QB's if they are all inconsistent and not developing. ButI have never once said JG wouldn't be our starter. You have to factor in how he mesh's with the new staff, the different no BS mentality from coach's none of our players are used to. The how does he adapt to a system he's never played in and wasn't recruited to play in. He could just as easily come out of Spring Practice and decide his strengths are better suited for the spread and what he wants to play in. If that's degrading JG or anyone else then the era we live in now is officially in full Pu$$7 mode.

Wasting your anger dude. We disagree ‘s all. :cool2:

I can definitely agree with what you're saying. I was on Team JG all last year and thought he got a bad rap by many fans. He earned my respect with all the hits and beatings he took, yet continued to get up. He never sold out his teammates nor did he call them out during the games. Then when he took time to spend with that boy who was getting bullied, I became an even bigger fan. That shows great character and wasn't something he had to do. Only thing I have continued to say to the ones already guaranteeing he is our starter is that he definitely isn't. He most likely ends up being the starter and with the good coaching he could live up to his recruiting hype. He definitely has the tools, now he can hopefully put it all together. Playing QB is just as much mental as it is physical and a guy can have all the tools, but if he's not mentally strong enough it won't matter. Biggest thing will be can he react and see the field better, can he learn to read the defense better and go through his progressions. Some hits he took was his fault by holding the ball too long but other times it was on the OLine and receiver's not getting open. Another factor will be how does he bond with Pruitt, Helton and his other Coach's? There will be a completely different and more disciplined coaching than what he's had. Does he buy in and bust his @$$ or will the immunity we saw at times interfere? I'm really looking forward to seeing who else they bring in and following the QB battle the next 6-7 months. Definitely believe we see much better QB and WR play, but being 108 in passing offense we can only get better lol.

tl;dr

I advocated for Wiggins last year and still feel like he was a player...just wasted. But the net effect is what is that spot doing for us NOW? Of course I trust the coaches to manage the roster (what choice is there?), but I equate this blueshirting for coaches to college kids with credit cards. You just need this “one last thing”. They pay it off before their kids get their own financial excuses. :thud:

I don't think our Coach's knew how to handle Wiggins properly. He definitely should have been a difference maker but never looked comfortable. But it can't help when you have Shoop and Hoke hating each other and the defensive side from coaching all the way down never looked in sync. Apparently lack of staff continuity was widespread. So I'm glad the new staff is close and that won't be an issue.

You sure showed me..lmao.. I've never said anything about anyone disagreeing with me. We are all allowed our opinion. Apparently you already know who will thrive under the new Coach's and who won't, even ones who aren't even on campus yet. That's truly a gift you need to capitalize on and wish I shared that gift. Last time I'm gonna repeat this. If the Coach's think a QB or whoever is good enough to come in and atleast compete for a job, then I will side with them . I'm sure your ability to do this is second to none, but I much prefer to watch and let it play out.But please post the 2 deep starting lineup and maybe the QB stats if you don't mind. Then as it plays out in real time, I'll be the first one to give you mad props and be a lifetime fan. Actually better yet, I don't want what's gonna happen, It would take the fun out of it. Maybe share with an administrator to have it documented then after every game he could share what you already knew. Possibly have a forum just for that, so we could come check out after every game. That would be super cool and benefit the administrator's and companies that who pay for their ads to be on here. That kind of extra site traffic could get you paid a little bit. As a fellow Vol fan, I hope it works out for you and no need to credit me for the idea.It was inspired by your words!

Haha I was just messing with you. I am insulted that you basically said the same snarky thing to Butchna although you did go into more depth here so I guess it's not so bad. My only point was that the article you posted wasn't evidence of the point you were making. And my original post above that one where I got a little snarky with you was just putting some of the stats of this guy and JG in perspective. The funny thing is I don't think we disagree completely. Maybe Butchna just got you worked up and you thought I was attacking you. I don't know. I would understand that though. Haha. I think we both believe JG could improve a lot this year under these coaches and show some of the talent and potential he has. I think we both believe we could use some more depth. But where we seem to disagree is on how good these grad transfers are and if they are worth it. This guy did put up big numbers the last four games of the year but 2 of those games were blowout losses and in those 4 games he averaged 54.75 attempts and had 6.8 yards per attempt. And much of that was skewed by his only victory over a 4-8 Cincy team where he had by far his best game on his fewest attempts. And I know JG or anybody we have isn't proven either. My only point is I don't think this guy is as good as some of his stats may suggest. But if he can start next week that makes it a little more attractive. I still just think he's nothing but a backup here.

Edit: I've never said JG is definitely the starter. He definitely has a lot of work to do to earn it. I just believe he will and possibly turn into a pretty good qb this year. He has the talent to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Wasting your anger dude. We disagree ‘s all. :cool2:

No anger at all brother. Just saying the stuff I have posted is getting twisted and not close to what I have said. Hell I bought my son a JG Jersey last year as I buy him a new one every year. I have never hated on JG and never will. He's one of my favorite players and won me over last season. I just think we are far away from the QB position being settled and who knows what the QB roster looks like by time fall camp starts. He was the best QB we had last year although being 108 in passing doesn't say very much. It could be night and day for him under Helton and in an offense that doesn't make have to decide to keep it and run or hand it off. He did not do well with making the right decisions on that. But that can easily be credited to horrible coaching and not being a strength of his. Our QB's took enough hits as it was without having to take more with 8-10 designed QB runs.

No anger at all brother. Just saying the stuff I have posted is getting twisted and not close to what I have said. Hell I bought my son a JG Jersey last year as I buy him a new one every year. I have never hated on JG and never will. He's one of my favorite players and won me over last season. I just think we are far away from the QB position being settled and who knows what the QB roster looks like by time fall camp starts. He was the best QB we had last year although being 108 in passing doesn't say very much. It could be night and day for him under Helton and in an offense that doesn't make have to decide to keep it and run or hand it off. He did not do well with making the right decisions on that. But that can easily be credited to horrible coaching and not being a strength of his. Our QB's took enough hits as it was without having to take more with 8-10 designed QB runs.

Then save your best material for the TWISTERS. You posted that this ECU kid is experienced and fits the system. I countered with doubt about his credentials. If he had walked on here, how much more physical talented would he be perceived? Maybe way less than the ones already on our roster or incoming? I used the word “savior” but I didn’t attribute it to you...wasn’t necessary.

Haha I was just messing with you. I am insulted that you basically said the same snarky thing to Butchna although you did go into more depth here so I guess it's not so bad. My only point was that the article you posted wasn't evidence of the point you were making. And my original post above that one where I got a little snarky with you was just putting some of the stats of this guy and JG in perspective. The funny thing is I don't think we disagree completely. Maybe Butchna just got you worked up and you thought I was attacking you. I don't know. I would understand that though. Haha. I think we both believe JG could improve a lot this year under these coaches and show some of the talent and potential he has. I think we both believe we could use some more depth. But where we seem to disagree is on how good these grad transfers are and if they are worth it. This guy did put up big numbers the last four games of the year but 2 of those games were blowout losses and in those 4 games he averaged 54.75 attempts and had 6.8 yards per attempt. And much of that was skewed by his only victory over a 4-8 Cincy team where he had by far his best game on his fewest attempts. And I know JG or anybody we have isn't proven either. My only point is I don't think this guy is as good as some of his stats may suggest. But if he can start next week that makes it a little more attractive. I still just think he's nothing but a backup here.

Edit: I've never said JG is definitely the starter. He definitely has a lot of work to do to earn it. I just believe he will and possibly turn into a pretty good qb this year. He has the talent to do it.

Oh no I didn't get worked up but some of the stuff I had said was getting turned around and the opposite of what I was actually saying. That may be the case with the ECU QB but he also played on a horrific football team and wasn't a turnover waiting to happen like we had with Dormady and the one McBride start. If it's purely for depth I would just prefer not to waste a scholly's but if they think whoever they bring in could actually compete then I'm definitely all for it. I actually think I prefer Chryst simply from the competition he faced at Stanford. He was 11-2 in 13 starts had a 19/6 TD:Int ratio and 128 QB rating. Stanford just isn't a huge throwing team like most Pac 12 teams are. Not completely sure why he got benched because Costello was 3-3 in games he started. But I haven't watched Stanford play much but know Chryst played better in 2016. But he still won games. I would be surprised if Chryst isn't our grad transfer QB but not graduating till June could be a factor. Back to the ECU kid though it's really hard to get a full gauge on him because of playing for a bad team and probably very little talent. Regardless the QB battle will go on for a while and them wanting to give Shrout an equal opportunity too. I would not be surprised if McBride leaves after Spring Practice. No info or anything like that, but from everything I've read about our new offense, McBride is not a good fit for this offense. That could be another reason they want to bring in a grad transfer. Then go get 2 QB's in the '19 class. Hell it's all speculation by us fans anyway, we have no idea what to expect from Helton and Pruitt when it comes to what they look for from starters.

Oh no I didn't get worked up but some of the stuff I had said was getting turned around and the opposite of what I was actually saying. That may be the case with the ECU QB but he also played on a horrific football team and wasn't a turnover waiting to happen like we had with Dormady and the one McBride start. If it's purely for depth I would just prefer not to waste a scholly's but if they think whoever they bring in could actually compete then I'm definitely all for it. I actually think I prefer Chryst simply from the competition he faced at Stanford. He was 11-2 in 13 starts had a 19/6 TD:Int ratio and 128 QB rating. Stanford just isn't a huge throwing team like most Pac 12 teams are. Not completely sure why he got benched because Costello was 3-3 in games he started. But I haven't watched Stanford play much but know Chryst played better in 2016. But he still won games. I would be surprised if Chryst isn't our grad transfer QB but not graduating till June could be a factor. Back to the ECU kid though it's really hard to get a full gauge on him because of playing for a bad team and probably very little talent. Regardless the QB battle will go on for a while and them wanting to give Shrout an equal opportunity too. I would not be surprised if McBride leaves after Spring Practice. No info or anything like that, but from everything I've read about our new offense, McBride is not a good fit for this offense. That could be another reason they want to bring in a grad transfer. Then go get 2 QB's in the '19 class. Hell it's all speculation by us fans anyway, we have no idea what to expect from Helton and Pruitt when it comes to what they look for from starters.

Yeah, I don't really think McBride fits either and may not be as good as Chryst or Minshew. But if it comes down to giving up a scholly next year then I would probably rather just have McBride stay and not go after these for a 1 year rental that may not even start. I get what yer saying about Chryst, but he was on a good team with good coaching and I didn't think he was very good. Maybe I'm wrong about these 2 guys, but I just don't see it.

Then save your best material for the TWISTERS. You posted that this ECU kid is experienced and fits the system. I countered with doubt about his credentials. If he had walked on here, how much more physical talented would he be perceived? Maybe way less than the ones already on our roster or incoming? I used the word “savior” but I didn’t attribute it to you...wasn’t necessary.

I said he was more experienced than what we currently have and if he didn't fit the system do you think he would be getting looked at? I'm not the smartest guy in the world but common sense says they wouldn't be trying to bring in a grad transfer who didn't fit the system. But he didn't walk on here so that's irrelevant. Players sneak through the cracks all the time and don't develop or hit their ceiling till late in their college careers. It happens. My counter back to you was it's our Coach's making those decisions and I feel pretty good about saying they probably know a tiny bit more on what they want,need and look for than us. I'm just saying, I think most fans would trust the Coach's player evaluations over a few other fans who think they know more. Especially with a staff that has combined to coach at Ala, Ga, Flor, USC, AU, Flor St,Texas,TN, Clemson etc.

I said he was more experienced than what we currently have and if he didn't fit the system do you think he would be getting looked at? I'm not the smartest guy in the world but common sense says they wouldn't be trying to bring in a grad transfer who didn't fit the system. But he didn't walk on here so that's irrelevant. Players sneak through the cracks all the time and don't develop or hit their ceiling till late in their college careers. It happens. My counter back to you was it's our Coach's making those decisions and I feel pretty good about saying they probably know a tiny bit more on what they want,need and look for than us. I'm just saying, I think most fans would trust the Coach's player evaluations over a few other fans who think they know more. Especially with a staff that has combined to coach at Ala, Ga, Flor, USC, AU, Flor St,Texas,TN, Clemson etc.

I keep sensing this inference that I’m arguing with the coaches. Haven’t had the honor. I’m perfectly aware of THEIR credentials. Not necessary for our message board argument.

Yeah, I don't really think McBride fits either and may not be as good as Chryst or Minshew. But if it comes down to giving up a scholly next year then I would probably rather just have McBride stay and not go after these for a 1 year rental that may not even start. I get what yer saying about Chryst, but he was on a good team with good coaching and I didn't think he was very good. Maybe I'm wrong about these 2 guys, but I just don't see it.

I definitely agree it would suck to have to waste a scholly's on a 1 yr rental,especisally if he never plays. But unfortunately that's the situation JP has walked into. There really should be a rule that if you have a guy leave as a grad transfer like Dormady then you can bring another one in and just use his scholly. I may be wrong but with them Blueshirting 2 guys already that leaves 2 available scholly's for this class so it wouldn't be wasting one of next year's. It would be the 2 guys we are using a BS on that count towards next year's class. So technically we have 2 available scholly's left that we can't bank towards next years class. So it's either use the 2 or they just go to waste. I see what your saying about Chryst but they kid won and didn't turn it over. I'm honestly torn so I am just gonna trust the Coach's. I trust Helton's ability to evaluate QB's more than Butch and Canales. I know Helton is very familiar with Chryst so maybe he's sees something that thinks he could do well here.

I keep sensing this inference that I’m arguing with the coaches. Haven’t had the honor. I’m perfectly aware of THEIR credentials. Not necessary for our message board argument.

Well technically you are because you are questioning their ability to evaluate or know what they currently need to help us win. If they think Minshew or Chryst can compete and help then what is there to question? This isn't Butch Jones or a Butch Jones staff who are mostly career mid major Coach's. And not even the better mid major teams at that. Their career body of work has earned them the right to be trusted until given a reason not to. Anyway I'm through debating this, whatever/if any players they bring in showed JP and other Coach's they can help us win. Good enough for me!

I definitely agree it would suck to have to waste a scholly's on a 1 yr rental,especisally if he never plays. But unfortunately that's the situation JP has walked into. There really should be a rule that if you have a guy leave as a grad transfer like Dormady then you can bring another one in and just use his scholly. I may be wrong but with them Blueshirting 2 guys already that leaves 2 available scholly's for this class so it wouldn't be wasting one of next year's. It would be the 2 guys we are using a BS on that count towards next year's class. So technically we have 2 available scholly's left that we can't bank towards next years class. So it's either use the 2 or they just go to waste. I see what your saying about Chryst but they kid won and didn't turn it over. I'm honestly torn so I am just gonna trust the Coach's. I trust Helton's ability to evaluate QB's more than Butch and Canales. I know Helton is very familiar with Chryst so maybe he's sees something that thinks he could do well here.

As far as the 2 current blue shirts, I think they only blue shirt if we fill up the current class. If we don't take any body else then I think those 2 just slide into this class and we don't take any schollies from next year. So while technically this guy would count against this class it still forces one of them to count against next year. I think they only did have those 2 guys as blue shirts to give them more option to recruit in this class since both signed without ever visiting or being officially recruited.

Well technically you are because you are questioning their ability to evaluate or know what they currently need to help us win. If they think Minshew or Chryst can compete and help then what is there to question? This isn't Butch Jones or a Butch Jones staff who are mostly career mid major Coach's. And not even the better mid major teams at that. Their career body of work has earned them the right to be trusted until given a reason not to. Anyway I'm through debating this, whatever/if any players they bring in showed JP and other Coach's they can help us win. Good enough for me!

That’s just it. We don’t know what THEIR evaluation is. We hear second-hand what their recruiting pitch to get him to VISIT entailed. You’re arguing facts not in evidence and strawmanning my disrespect for their body of work. I haven’t questioned THEM. I’m glad you finally understand how off the rails you went. :)

As far as the 2 current blue shirts, I think they only blue shirt if we fill up the current class. If we don't take any body else then I think those 2 just slide into this class and we don't take any schollies from next year. So while technically this guy would count against this class it still forces one of them to count against next year. I think they only did have those 2 guys as blue shirts to give them more option to recruit in this class since both signed without ever visiting or being officially recruited.

Exactly..that's how I understand it too. They were saving 2 scholly's so guys wouldn't have to pay their own way to come visit the school.T hey supposedly are wanting to bring in a grad transfer QB and looking at OL,DB and a playmaker. They may use them or may use none and can let the 2 BL sign this class. I like that they are keeping their opens open. I hate the 25 rule, especially if you only have 70-72 guys on scholarship. Also leaves the possibility of if a guy who signed can't get in because of grades they could use take away a BS and add to this class. I'm sure we will see numerous other grad transfer names pop up the next 4+ month at various positions.

VN Store

Back