'18 GA DE John Mincey (Tennessee signee)

Dude looks like he's on another level physically compared to his competition

Is he a "hand in the dirt" or stand up backer type of the player?? Im worried that the Juco LB we signed is our only true pass rusher.

Is he a "hand in the dirt" or stand up backer type of the player?? Im worried that the Juco LB we signed is our only true pass rusher.

Depends on how he grows. But the starter at jack will probably be Taylor.

And everybody this staff gets is a pass rusher. Whether that comes through blitzes or on the line they are all gonna get the chance to hit the QB.

“They said they expect me to come up there and play early,” said Mincey. “I’m really focused on trying to work real hard to get in the rotation. I’m kind of expecting to play early.” Mincey said he has stayed in contact with Tennessee defensive coordinator Kevin Sherrer over the past few months, and Sherrer has told him to “just keep working and be ready when I come up.”

“Honestly, I saw they’re doing stuff that I can do also, but maybe I can do it better than them,” he said. “I might have a good chance of playing. I’ve got really long arms, so I know how to use my length in my arms to separate. I think I have a big advantage in that over a lot of people.” “Seeing them practice on the field, I saw the kind of tempo their practice was,” Mincey said. “I saw how everything’s going to go, and I see I have to work real hard — for everything, really. Nothing ain’t going to come easy.

“(Rocker is) tough. He’s real tough. That’s about all I can say. I didn’t deal with nothing like that in high school. His style of coaching’s going to be real kind of new to me, so I’m just going to have to get used to it.” Mincey said he believes he’s “going to be playing” primarily at defensive end in the Vols’ 3-4 defense, but he thinks he’s “going to be switching positions in different schemes.” “I feel like I can go down to D-tackle in nickel schemes,” he said. “I really feel I can play anything during any time.”

To prepare for that type of role, Mincey said Tennessee’s coaches told him that “I needed to gain a few more pounds before I get up there.” He said the Vols envision him putting on plenty more weight in the coming months. “They say I’m going to probably be at, like, 285, maybe 290,” Mincey said.

Mincey said he lost some weight during basketball season but he's gained 10lbs since signing day, up to 6'4" 260.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people

Not me. We have a couple of guys coming back who can rush the passer when they are not injured.

Mincey said he lost some weight during basketball season but he's gained 10lbs since signing day, up to 6'4" 260.

Nice, that's a large young man with an excellent frame to build on. Nice length, and playing bball he's going to have good cardio levels, and now it's time to put some weight on him over the next couple of months and then slim down and recomp.

Nice, that's a large young man with an excellent frame to build on. Nice length, and playing bball he's going to have good cardio levels, and now it's time to put some weight on him over the next couple of months and then slim down and recomp.
I think Mincey is going to be a good one

Not me. We have a couple of guys coming back who can rush the passer when they are not injured.

We have bodies, but nobody who’s proven to be very good either rushing the qb or playing the run. Unless Pruitt, Rocker and company can get a whole lot more out of our returning players than we’ve ever seen from them to date, we oughtta all be concerned.

We have bodies, but nobody who’s proven to be very good either rushing the qb or playing the run. Unless Pruitt, Rocker and company can get a whole lot more out of our returning players than we’ve ever seen from them to date, we oughtta all be concerned.

well take solace in the fact that when you're ranked 126th in the country, you have A LOT of opportunity to do just that.:thumbsup:

Are you sure? So you actually did understand what I was very simply saying?

of course. the rank is the rank. never really challenged it's validity.

we weren't very good. we were pretty bad.

high ceiling for improvement. easier to go from 120's to 40's that it is to go from 20 to 10.:thumbsup:

VN Store

Back