'18 FL OT Daniel Faalele

Redshirted first season. Started second game.

Yes sir. I looked it up, he did redshirt in 2014. Pretty sure he started against us as redshirt frosh, tho. Remember thinking, dang he was committed to UT and now he is starting already. But, u know how my memory is, all those extra curricular activities are starting to catch up with me.

Reactions: 1 person
From Scout:

Daniel Faalele, OT, Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy

Faalele has played much less football than most of his counterparts on the offensive line, so we expected him to lose some reps this week, but he bounced back well on day two and his size and strength made him a tough matchup in run blocking drills. He is a project, but he is a big kid who has been learning the game quickly and showed the can take coaching and improve. Alabama, Michigan, UCLA, Tennessee, LSU and Minnesota are among the schools who have offered him.

Wrong. This is a common misconception. He ended up being a full qualifier.

He was at OU (under NCAA guidelines), but he would not have qualified at UT. No different than Khori Ivy several years ago, we could not get him admitted, so he goes to WVU and balls out. Same with the RB that we tried three times to get enrolled, and he finally goes to LSU and does very well.

Typical of our administration, I'm not saying we should admit just anyone because they are a great athlete - but 75% of the schools in the SEC accept players that we cannot get enrolled.

He was at OU (under NCAA guidelines), but he would not have qualified at UT. No different than Khori Ivy several years ago, we could not get him admitted, so he goes to WVU and balls out. Same with the RB that we tried three times to get enrolled, and he finally goes to LSU and does very well.

Typical of our administration, I'm not saying we should admit just anyone because they are a great athlete - but 75% of the schools in the SEC accept players that we cannot get enrolled.

Orlando Brown ended up being a full qualifier for the SEC or anywhere else. There is no such thing as a "math class" requirement for the SEC for high school kids like I've seen mentioned with the Brown case. That is only for JUCO's. He was dropped because at the time the staff was unsure if he would qualify and they were trying to flip the roster as quickly as possible. In the end he did qualify, but it wasn't known until well after signing day. Now whether he would have been admitted or not who knows, I would think a full qualifier would be.

Khory Ivy's case was different. He was actually a non-qualifier his first year. He was a prop 48 casualty. That no longer exists anywhere that I'm aware of. Back in the day several conferences would allow a school to accept them, where they sat out their first year as non qualifiers, which Ivy did, but the SEC did not allow Prop 48's at that time so he had to go somewhere else. I believe he actually signed with Tennessee before being let go.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Orlando Brown ended up being a full qualifier for the SEC or anywhere else. There is no such thing as a "math class" requirement for the SEC for high school kids like I've seen mentioned with the Brown case. That is only for JUCO's. He was dropped because at the time the staff was unsure if he would qualify and they were trying to flip the roster as quickly as possible. In the end he did qualify, but it wasn't known until well after signing day. Now whether he would have been admitted or not who knows, I would think a full qualifier would be.

Khory Ivy's case was different. He was actually a non-qualifier his first year. He was a prop 48 casualty. That no longer exists anywhere that I'm aware of. Back in the day several conferences would allow a school to accept them, where they sat out their first year as non qualifiers, which Ivy did, but the SEC did not allow Prop 48's at that time so he had to go somewhere else. I believe he actually signed with Tennessee before being let go.

Being a qualifier and being admitted to a particular school are completely independent. Schools are not required to admit qualifiers by rule.

Reactions: 3 people
Being a qualifier and being admitted to a particular school are completely independent. Schools are not required to admit qualifiers by rule.

Yes I know this, but that is not why he was dropped in January. It was because of questions surrounding whether he would qualify or not, and as it turned out he did.

That's what I am trying to say, he could have qualified but not under TN's admission standards. Vanderbilt has the toughest, then UT, UGA, and even UF fall into the next tier. Some schools will accept you with a pulse, and we know who those schools are - especially when NFL teams test them pre-draft and find out that they read on a fourth grade level...

MH is correct on the math class issue, that actually applied to the SEC and kept all member teams from recruiting certain JUCO athletes. Don't know if that is still in play or not.

Shyrone Carey was the RB that we signed and failed to get admitted three times - he finally gave up and signed with LSU.

That's what I am trying to say, he could have qualified but not under TN's admission standards. Vanderbilt has the toughest, then UT, UGA, and even UF fall into the next tier. Some schools will accept you with a pulse, and we know who those schools are - especially when NFL teams test them pre-draft and find out that they read on a fourth grade level...

MH is correct on the math class issue, that actually applied to the SEC and kept all member teams from recruiting certain JUCO athletes. Don't know if that is still in play or not.

Shyrone Carey was the RB that we signed and failed to get admitted three times - he finally gave up and signed with LSU.

Forgot all about Shyrone Carey. Did he have to sit out a year before he ended up being eligible at LSU? I can't remember how that all went down, but you are right, he could not get admitted into the University.

Forgot all about Shyrone Carey. Did he have to sit out a year before he ended up being eligible at LSU? I can't remember how that all went down, but you are right, he could not get admitted into the University.

No, they took him right away since he had already sat out a year trying to get admitted to UT.

He played behind Dominic Davis (I think), the only thing I remember big about him is when he took a screen pass about 80 yards to help LSU beat UGA in 2002.

VN Store

Back