'17 TN ATH Maleik Gray (UT signee)

So now we are going to blame all of the ebbs and flows in recruiting on the lawsuit?

What's more likely: Gray was ready to commit, despite the lawsuit already being public knowledge for ~2 months, but he suddenly decided to read the full complaint and got cold feet about the Vols?

Or he talked to two coaches with national championship rings who are putting players in the NFL left and right and heard some great things about how he'll be a pro himself in three years with a ring to boot and decided he need time to think about his decision?

I'm sure the lawsuit is having an effect, but it seems like some of you believe it's scaring away every recruit in the nation. It's not like we're about to get put on probation and a bowl ban or something, and Butch's job isn't in jeopardy.

Reactions: 6 people
So now we are going to blame all of the ebbs and flows in recruiting on the lawsuit?

What's more likely: Gray was ready to commit, despite the lawsuit already being public knowledge for ~2 months, but he suddenly decided to read the full complaint and got cold feet about the Vols?

Or he talked to two coaches with national championship rings who are putting players in the NFL left and right and heard some great things about how he'll be a pro himself in three years with a ring to boot and decided he need time to think about his decision?

I'm sure the lawsuit is having an effect, but it seems like some of you believe it's scaring away every recruit in the nation. It's not like we're about to get put on probation and a bowl ban or something, and Butch's job isn't in jeopardy.

It's definitely the Title 9 Lawsuit. No way it's anything else.:)

IDT it's the lawsuit. I think it's all the speculation about whether UT can live up to the hype. Win the SECE and all the questions go away.

The lawsuit is old news and it's about money. It won't affect the team, the coaches or their ability to succeed, and recruits know that.

Reactions: 1 person
Par for the course this year..but hey everything is going awesome!

Seems like Gray projects as a LB for us. His seemingly hot-and-cold interest in UT may have more to do with Page, Wooten, and Marchiol being higher on UT's LB board than he is. And I don't know that we would take more than 3 LB's this year either.

I don't think recruiting's going all that bad. Crosby and Nixon are big timers. Labruzza, Page, Bembry, and Rogers all seem like guys that could really blow up. Of course, it would be a whole lot nicer to have Higgens back in the fold and a few like Gibbs, Stevens, Smith, or Chandler on board, but we're not exactly struggling right now either. I think we've had some bad breaks like Hunter Johnson's flip and the lawsuit that have set us back some, but I also think a lot of those guys I mentioned are still in wait-and-see mode much like Warrior was last year.

I know it gets talked about some, but one thing I don't think enough can be said about Jones and co is their ability to evaluate guys. They may take a 3* over a top 250 4* guy while fans and recruiting sites are scratching their heads over it. Kelly, Hall, Smith, and I know we didn't land him, but Christmas-Giles last year going from 2* to top 100, all back that up. Heck, I would've bet money that they would have parted ways last year with Blakely before they did Hart. I also like how they stick with their evals; I felt like Kiffen and Fulmer in later years were often just chasing stars and maybe recruiting ranking bonuses or something. I'll put it this way, I'd feel a lot better about a #15 class under Jones than a #8 class under any other UT head coach over the last 15 years. We're still good for now, just got to win.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I don't want to undermine you GFW, as I am but a lowly fan who happened to meet the right person to gather some info here. But from speaking with his mother, it seems like Tennessee is in third. She didn't even mention the Vols until I brought us up. Again, I trust Butch, and I think with a big season we can pull it off, but he's definitely not as solid as we recently thought he was. And FSU is still a big factor.

Reactions: 4 people
I don't want to undermine you GFW, as I am but a lowly fan who happened to meet the right person to gather some info here. But from speaking with his mother, it seems like Tennessee is in third. She didn't even mention the Vols until I brought us up. Again, I trust Butch, and I think with a big season we can pull it off, but he's definitely not as solid as we recently thought he was. And FSU is still a big factor.
Csb

Reactions: 3 people
Seems like Gray projects as a LB for us. His seemingly hot-and-cold interest in UT may have more to do with Page, Wooten, and Marchiol being higher on UT's LB board than he is. And I don't know that we would take more than 3 LB's this year either.

I don't think recruiting's going all that bad. Crosby and Nixon are big timers. Labruzza, Page, Bembry, and Rogers all seem like guys that could really blow up. Of course, it would be a whole lot nicer to have Higgens back in the fold and a few like Gibbs, Stevens, Smith, or Chandler on board, but we're not exactly struggling right now either. I think we've had some bad breaks like Hunter Johnson's flip and the lawsuit that have set us back some, but I also think a lot of those guys I mentioned are still in wait-and-see mode much like Warrior was last year.

I know it gets talked about some, but one thing I don't think enough can be said about Jones and co is their ability to evaluate guys. They may take a 3* over a top 250 4* guy while fans and recruiting sites are scratching their heads over it. Kelly, Hall, Smith, and I know we didn't land him, but Christmas-Giles last year going from 2* to top 100, all back that up. Heck, I would've bet money that they would have parted ways last year with Blakely before they did Hart. I also like how they stick with their evals; I felt like Kiffen and Fulmer in later years were often just chasing stars and maybe recruiting ranking bonuses or something. I'll put it this way, I'd feel a lot better about a #15 class under Jones than a #8 class under any other UT head coach over the last 15 years. We're still good for now, just got to win.

Good post.

Reactions: 2 people

So...he is just jerking our chain? IF.. that's true, I wish he would just go on. Maybe we can find another Kirkland under an out of state rock by signing day.

I liked your post cause I think you're a sad person and you probably need that affirmation in your life. Sorry for making a totally on topic and informative comment. Keep regurgitating acronyms though, you're really good at it! 😂

Omg, ty. Vfl4evs, mniym. If you figure the last one out you win a prize.

Last edited:
As of Wednesday, 4/27

I have no doubt you heard it Wed, April 27th, but how old was that info you were told? It just doesn't seem to jive with the recent talk. Not saying you're lying or even wrong. It just seems odd based on what has been recently said.

You would get more likes if you were a little more vague. Nobody here wants real info if it doesn't fit their belief system.

You would get more likes if you were a little more vague. Nobody here wants real info if it doesn't fit their belief system.

Real info?

Or... Maybe one poster has a little more established/proven info and one poster is new/unknown? However that doesn't fit their agenda.

You never know until a kid actuallu signs. I know Captain Obvious here...

But Kelly won't be able to carry the load alone.

A lot of opportunity for a revided SEC power. We're in a good spot.

VN Store

Back