'17 MS RB Cam Akers (FSU commit 12/27)

“I loved it up there — the atmosphere, the crowd, the coaches, the offensive style that they use,” said Akers, who’s ranked the nation’s No. 53 overall prospect and No. 5 running back in the 247Sports Composite for the 2017 class. “It was a great place. It was way more exciting (than last year). Last year when I went, they lost, but this year they won. Plus, this was a big game for them, so it was a lot more exciting this year to be at the game.”

“I love Tennessee a lot,” he said. “They’re definitely one of my top schools. I definitely have the door open to them. I’ll definitely be up there again. I may be able to get up again this year. They care about their players a lot. They treat their players like their own kids. That’s big. They treat them like family, and it’s like a family environment there. I know, if I did end up going there, I would feel at home there.”

“I got to spend a lot of time with (running backs) coach (Robert) Gillespie after the game,” Akers said. “He talked to my parents. My mom, that was her first time going up there, and she really liked it. We all got a chance to get down there and talk to the coaches. Coach Gillespie and my mom got a chance to meet, and we talked to (head) coach (Butch) Jones, also. She liked how straightforward they are. She liked what they’re trying to do to turn the place around, like how it used to be, and she liked the facilities they have and the football scheme that they run. My mom understands football, so she likes the scheme that they run. And she likes the coaches a lot.”

“Of course, I still am committed to (Alabama), but I am keeping the door open for other teams,” he said. “I’ll still weigh my options. Even though I am committed to them, I’ll still keep the door open.”

:salute:

Please let us take a Bama commit.

Reactions: 6 people
Although Akers is committed to Alabama, the Mississippi product is taking a very close look at Tennessee. He’s visited several times and the fact that Alabama has two other running back commitments in its 2017 class already means that carries could be at a premium. The Vols will need immediate help next season and Akers, who is another downhill runner with some speed, is someone Tennessee’s staff sees as a prime target.
-VQ.

Reactions: 2 people
Anybody tell Butch we're taking 3? :)

If we lose Hurd, Kamara, and Young is out I could see it. Taking 3 when you have Hurd and Kamara would be different than taking 3 with Kelly and CFA. Going into 2017 our RB experience could be almost nada.

Kelly
CFA
???
???
???

And you find those situations comparable?...note that Bama has 5 stars backed up for the last two years. Damien Harris just last year.

And you find those situations comparable?...note that Bama has 5 stars backed up for the last two years. Damien Harris just last year.

I'm not sure what bamas depth chart looks like. I'm just saying if them taking 3 bothers him, we might be looking to do the same.

Bama's depth chart's loaded. You alluded to ours... Not sure why you're confused.

Anyone know the level of ball Bama's top RB commit (Najee Harris) plays in that is from Cali? He has huge stats, but looks like a slower Derrick Henry...

Anyone know the level of ball Bama's top RB commit (Najee Harris) plays in that is from Cali? He has huge stats, but looks like a slower Derrick Henry...

I watched his video a few weeks ago and tonight to myself that he would not end ho the top rated back.

He's good, but not great

No clue about the competition though

I'm amazed there isn't more talk about this guy with the recent tweets

I'm amazed there isn't more talk about this guy with the recent tweets

That he was wearing UT shorts while he lifted weights? That's the only one I saw. Are there others that were encouraging?

Edit: Also tweeted "UT got dat juice" or something like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back