'17 MO PF Derrick Walker Jr. (UT commit 2/3/17)

? What do you mean? Mostella was our best driver/slasher on the team before he got dismissed lol.

That's true. He was a great 3 PT shooter too though. Was asking more like JP Prince style scorer or Kevin Punter, I guess? Does that make sense? Haha.

Proud and blessed to announce that I will be attending the university of Tennessee #SEC #volsnation

High motor guy, that can score with both hands. Good rebounder.
Has the frame to add a lot of muscle.

I like this setup, but we have also seen that Barnes like to vary his lineups a ton. We have seen Williams play like a 3 in certain lineups. What Walker and Kent really bring to the table is even more ability to play matchups based on the team we are playing in a given night. Also Everyone is anointing Walker over Kent, but Kent is 6-10 and has a much better offer list. I would not discount his role next year at all. I could see several variations that could work. Throw in Pons and you are even more versatile as he could move all over as well.

Against a big team
Bone/Turner/Parker
Bowden/Phillips/Pons
Williams/Schofield/Johnson
Fulkerson/Walker
Alexander/Kent

Against smaller teams
Bone/Parker
Turner/Bowden/Phillips
Pons/Johnson
Williams/Schofield
Fulkerson/Walker/Alexander/Kent

The other thing this roster gives you in in-game flexibility (foul trouble, etc.) and protection for injuries. I really do think Barnes is building a "team" instead of filling a roster.

Absolutely, but I still wouldn't feel good riding without another big. What I see..

Bone/Parker
Bowden/Turner
Phillips/Johnson
Williams/Schofield/Fulkerson
Alexander/Walker

Redshirting: Kent

That leaves Pons on the wing if they're able to land him, I like that much more than without Walker, 2 guards/wings, and having to likely force Kent to play even if he's not ready.

Steeeeerike

little-league-ump-o.gif

Reactions: 1 person
Good looking prospect on film. With players like this, with a pretty big frame, do coaches prefer them add muscle to bang on the paint, or stay light to be more versatile? Or does it just vary?

Long time since we had this much depth in the front court.
Also gives the option of letting the big boy red shirt and build a body.

Pretty clear what Barnes is doing, trying to build a balanced team with guys who can play multiple positions and will stay 4 years or in some cases redshirt and stay 5.

Well you make my post seem ignorant. Lol

On second thought I recant that post. Although I don't see an immediate need really.

If you can land an impact wing/SF to help replace Hubbs, that is where I see the biggest need. Maybe an impact scorer in the post to pair with Williams that would allow Kent and Walker to come along slowly.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back