'17 GA WR Justin Marshall (Louisville commit)

Hope we are offering as insurance-- not liking that we have all these top Ath/WR in TN and have offered plenty of WR scholly's to higher rated kids, yet we are offering lower tier WR's now... hope the coaches see something the services don't and its not because we don't feel we have a chance with the higher rated kids, even in state... We have all these top rated kids coming for visits and no one will pull the trigger....I know its still early, but not getting a good feeling here with the lawsuit looming etc....

Hope we are offering as insurance-- not liking that we have all these top Ath/WR in TN and have offered plenty of WR scholly's to higher rated kids, yet we are offering lower tier WR's now... hope the coaches see something the services don't and its not because we don't feel we have a chance with the higher rated kids, even in state... We have all these top rated kids coming for visits and no one will pull the trigger....I know its still early, but not getting a good feeling here with the lawsuit looming etc....

I hear ya' and I sort of feel the same way. But.....

...what does our depth chart at WR look like as compared to others? Even though players are "in-state", make no mistake the vast majority (even those whose parents bleed orange) want to play early and often.

Auburn offered, so maybe coaches are just now seeing his tape. Also, it might be a conditional offer.

Also, sorry you are living in Alabama, someone would have to pay me a lot of money to live there, in fact if they were paying me so well, I would pay the gas to drive back and forth to work, get up early for work, and get home late from work just to not live there. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Too late. At least one more year of woeful underperformance from our WR group IMO.

Let's see if they're woeful this year. I would not say they were woeful last year but would agree they under-performed as a group.

Reactions: 1 person
Let's see if they're woeful this year. I would not say they were woeful last year but would agree they under-performed as a group.

Let's just say the collective production of WR group was woeful and my comment was meant to jab Azzani, (and not the players) whose coaching/teaching appears to be "woeful" to me and others.

One example....freshman receivers: it's just one thing, one aspect to point to demonstrate where our group came up short last year.

Was there another SEC team that had 2 more talented, more physically gifted/imposing freshman WRs than Tennessee last year in PWill and Jennings? Yes, I know that Jennings was adjusting to a new position and yes I know that Preston was coming off a knee injury and also experienced an in season injury. But look at a couple or 3 comparisons.....

1. Christian Kirk at TAM played with revolving qbs, one a Soph and one a freshman, and a situation that eventually turned into a grease fire.....yet he caught 80 balls for 1009 yds and 7 tds

By comparison, our 2 guys, who played in 19 games combined, caught 21 passes for 307 yds and 2 Tds.

2. Calvin Ridley, freshman at Alabama, played in an overly run-heavy offense with a QB who was benched early in the season and was largely panned as the weak link of their offense for the majority of the season......he caught 89 passes for 1,045 yards and 7 tds

By comparison, our 2 guys, who played in 19 games combined, caught 21 passes for 307 yds and 2 Tds.

3. Antonio Callaway, freshman at Florida, who only had a D1 QB for half the season after Grier was suspended, caught 35 passes for 678 yds and 4 tds.

By comparison, our 2 guys, who played in 19 games combined, caught 21 passes for 307 yds and 2 tds.

Last edited:
Let's just say the collective production of WR group was woeful and my comment was meant to jab Azzani, (and not the players) whose coaching/teaching appears to be "woeful" to me and others.

One example....freshman receivers: it's just one thing, one aspect to point to demonstrate where our group came up short last year.

Was there another SEC team that had 2 more talented, more physically gifted/imposing freshman WRs than Tennessee last year in PWill and Jennings? Yes, I know that Jennings was adjusting to a new position and yes I know that Preston was coming off a knee injury and also experienced an in season injury. But look at a couple or 3 comparisons.....

1. Christian Kirk at TAM played with revolving qbs, one a Soph and one a freshman, and a situation that eventually turned into a grease fire.....yet he caught 80 balls for 1009 yds and 7 tds

2. Calvin Ridley, freshman at Alabama, played in an overly run-heavy offense with a QB who was benched early in the season and was largely panned as the weak link of their offense for the majority of the season......he caught 89 passes for 1,045 yards and 7 tds

3. Antonio Callaway, freshman at Florida, who only had a D1 QB for half the season after Grier was suspended, caught 35 passes for 678 yds and 4 tds.

By comparison, our 2 guys, who played in 19 games combined, caught 21 passes for 307 yds and 2 tds.

this is great info and the truth is in the numbers, I agree-- I will say that Pwill was hurt most of the season, Jennings was moved to WR from QB which is a huge leap in college, and Malone, while I love him, is turning out to be a bit overrated.... add Croom and North basically hurt all season and we didn't have much to work with.... This season there will be little to no excuses and I hope Malone makes me look like an idiot and balls out.... GBO!

this is great info and the truth is in the numbers, I agree-- I will say that Pwill was hurt most of the season, Jennings was moved to WR from QB which is a huge leap in college, and Malone, while I love him, is turning out to be a bit overrated.... add Croom and North basically hurt all season and we didn't have much to work with.... This season there will be little to no excuses and I hope Malone makes me look like an idiot and balls out.... GBO!

PWill played in 8 games last year. I didn't have great expectations for him, but 7 catches and 2 tds, both of which came vs WCar? That taken with the other numbers I cited, plus the fact that our top 2 WRs were ranked 30th and 31st in the SEC last year.......and the poor passing game/WR performance from 2013 and 2014 to boot......to me it's a combination of things to be sure, but the largest amount of blame should be laid at the feet of the WRs coach/passing game coordinator. He's clearly the weak link of the staff.

Reactions: 3 people

I might have missed it. Did you tell us how many passes our 2 guys caught and for how many yds and td's?

:)

Reactions: 2 people
"And, another surprise visitor, four-star Justin Marshall said the Vols are in his top three now and he will visit again."

- Fortenberry

Reactions: 6 people
Per Hubbs
Finally, the two names most centered around the wide receiver position at this stage for the Vols are Higgins and Jeremiah Holloman, who we believe Tennessee made a major push with during Orange Carpet Day.

But, it's fair to remember Georgia wide receiver Justin Marshall, who made his first official college trip to Tennessee on Orange Carpet Day. Exiting the visit Tennessee was in the mix with Louisville, South Carolina and Auburn.

Reactions: 2 people
Tennessee had a good day with Newton High School players this past Saturday during the Vols Orange Carpet Day event. Jaquan Henderson, of the Covington, Ga., school, committed to Tennessee and wide receivers Jeremiah Holloman and Justin Marshall were both in attendance as well.

While both Henderson and Holloman had been on campus recently, it was Marshall's first trip to Knoxville since he was young and far before he had earned a four-star ranking.

“My first time here was when I was 10 years old," Marshall explained. "And to get the chance to come see it now as I’m much older is a blessing. It’s a great atmosphere, great people, great coaches, great teammates, great everything. It’s somewhere I could see myself playing.”

Marshall makes the most of long awaited return

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back