'17 AL QB Bubba Thompson

Why doesn't he play minor ball for a few years and see how he develops? If he makes it to MLB, great, if not, leave baseball and go to college and play football?

Chris Weinke and many others went that route.

Why doesn't he play minor ball for a few years and see how he develops? If he makes it to MLB, great, if not, leave baseball and go to college and play football?

Pretty much every MLB player drafted, out of high school, is assigned to the minor leagues for a few years. It is extremely rare for a MLB prospect to go straight to the "show" from high school.

We lost Mookie Wilson to Boston a few years ago but he didn't go straight to the "show". He's a stud now though.

Pretty much every MLB player drafted, out of high school, is assigned to the minor leagues for a few years. It is extremely rare for a MLB prospect to go straight to the "show" from high school.

We lost Mookie Wilson to Boston a few years ago but he didn't go straight to the "show". He's a stud now though.

Betts. But yeah, he's the real deal.

Reactions: 1 person

We also got burned by Casey Kelly. I think Fulmer went all in on him as a QB one year and then he got drafted high and went to play in the minor leagues for Boston. I don't know if he ever got to the majors.

We also got burned by Casey Kelly. I think Fulmer went all in on him as a QB one year and then he got drafted high and went to play in the minor leagues for Boston. I don't know if he ever got to the majors.

Yes, he did spend a little time in the majors. Got his first major league win vs. the Braves a few years ago, and he now plays in the Atlanta organization. He was acquired as part of the Cristian Bethancourt deal. Made one start for ATL this past year IIRC, a loss, and was optioned back down to the AAA club in Gwinnett.

Reactions: 1 person

Russell Wilson also I believe went that route

Russell Wilson also I believe went that route

No...it was the idea of that which led to NC State's coach benching him...which led to his transfer to Wisconsin. He stated his intention to attend Spring training with the Rockies and was released from scholarship. He didn't exclusively go minors...he did both. I think Elway and Deion Sanders did the same.

Last edited:
No...it was the idea of that which led to NC State's coach benching him...which led to his transfer to Wisconsin. He stated his intention to attend Spring training with the Rockies and was released from scholarship. He didn't exclusively go minors...he did both. I think Elway and Deion Sanders did the same.

Thanks for clearing that up. I really thought he went to the minors

Thanks for clearing that up. I really thought he went to the minors

He did...but not exclusively. Played during the summer but never attended Spring Training. Wasn't a Weinke or Kelley Washington where they CAME BACK to college football.

It was a mauling. You don't expect to see that at the state championship level.

So it was a high school game & Bubba's team was playing & lost? What round of the playoffs was this game?

I just can't believe the game was played on a Wednesday. They don't EVER play high school football games in Tennessee on Wednesday's. Weird.

So it was a high school game & Bubba's team was playing & lost? What round of the playoffs was this game?

I just can't believe the game was played on a Wednesday. They don't EVER play high school football games in Tennessee on Wednesday's. Weird.

There are a couple of games on a Thursday in TN. Tomorrow to be exact. While Fridays are the norm, during playoff time it can change up a little. There are a couple of Saturday games this week to in High School football.

There are a couple of games on a Thursday in TN. Tomorrow to be exact. While Fridays are the norm, during playoff time it can change up a little. There are a couple of Saturday games this week to in High School football.

Yeah, I knew this for the state of Tennessee but Wednesday's are days that we still never play games. Thursday games are actually pretty common throughout the season in Tennessee. Playoffs bring mostly Friday games until state title games when they're played on Thursday-Saturday.

VN Store

Back