'16 TN TE/LB Austin Pope (UT commit 6/15/15)

I could see us taking him if Kyle Oliver doesn't look like a significant upgrade over what is on the current roster, or unless the younger Wolfe is one of the biggest surprises of this class. After the Helm transfer, we currently only have 1 quality SEC caliber TE on the depth chart. Oliver is a developmental type, but I hope he really surprises immediately.

Just read the news of Brooks tearing his ACL again. I hate it for the kid, but I could definately see an offer coming for Pope at camp now.

Not sold on Kyle Oliver at all. Hate the recent news on Brooks but two torn ACL's is not good. We should start looking elsewhere. Flame away.

Last edited:
Not sold on Kyle Oliver at all. Flame away.

No flames coming from here. I wish all these kids well, but like I said, I hope he surprises for the benefit of the team. I am not expecting it though. This is one of the signees that I don't see contributing until maybe his RS soph or RS junior season.

px_prepbanquet21_0118_AL_12687273_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Football games will never be the same for Christian Academy of Knoxville junior Austin Pope. No matter how many catches or tackles he makes, one constant in games and life will be missing.

His best fan is gone. Pope's father, Tom, died Aug. 9, 2014, after a battle against cancer.

"It's tough," Austin said. "Every game I ever played, even when I was little, he was always there, whether it was football, basketball, anything. He was my biggest fan, for sure. It's just hard not seeing him there."

CAK's Austin Pope played with heavy heart

Pope caught 68 passes for 809 yards and eight touchdowns last season. He also posted 50 tackles on defense, blending his natural athleticism and sure tackling with physicality in his first season at CAK after transferring from Sevier County.

He's gotten faster and stronger since then by taking advantage of a full offseason workout regimen, according to CAK coach Rusty Bradley.

College offers rolling in for CAK

Reactions: 5 people
Tweeted that he is in Mississippi and was offered by Miss. state. Tomorrow he will be at ole miss, and Saturday at arky.

Hear he will be camping at it soon

What's everyone's opinion on this kid? Looks solid and is picking up some nice offers. Do you guys think if we jumped in late that we could still sign him since he is a hometown kid? Depending on how he camps I wouldn't mind offering since Brooks tore his acl again.

I'd definitely rather have Pope than Middleton , like its been said off Brooks a blue or greyshirt and go after Pope

Wouldn't be shocked if we offered and asked Brooks to Grey/Blue shirt

Bingo. I like the blueshirt option, if that's available, so that he will get the fall semester to strengthen that knee in a college program.

"Knoxville native Austin Pope is scheduled to camp next weekend and he could be someone to watch over the next week. He will camp at Ole Miss, Arkansas and Mississippi State over the next week before making it to camp at Tennessee.

He’s continued to pick up offers over the last few weeks and it looks like more could be coming very soon."

- VQ

Reactions: 1 person
“i actually grew up in tennessee,” said pope, who spent his freshman and sophomore seasons at sevier county high school in sevierville, tenn. “i grew up right in sevier county, lived on the lake my whole life. Actually, since i go to cak now, i’m probably 15 minutes from (tennessee’s campus).

“everybody asks me if i’m, like, a diehard tennessee fan. I mean, i really didn’t start paying much attention to ut until the past two or three years i started going to games and stuff. But it’s an awesome atmosphere and everything like that.”

"at the end of the day, it’s the best fit for me, regardless of whether it’s tennessee or if it’s mississippi state, or if it’s ole miss or whoever it is — usc, nebraska. If it’s any of them, it’s just the best fit for me, regardless of distance or the fan base or anything like that."

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back