'16 TN LB Daniel Bituli (UT commit 7/18/15)

Wrestling is more about technique, speed, and leverage than just pure size and strength.

Sorry, but you don't know what your talking about in relation to TN A/AA heavyweight wrestling. Top 3 is worst case for any legit D1 caliber football prospect even if he's only practiced 2 weeks.

Other weight classes then you're right, but not the fat boy division in the A/AA classification. Glorified middle school.

Reactions: 1 person
Sorry, but you don't know what your talking about in relation to TN A/AA heavyweight wrestling. Top 3 is worst case for any legit D1 caliber football prospect even if he's only practiced 2 weeks.

Other weight classes then you're right, but not the fat boy division in the A/AA classification. Glorified middle school.

I won't speak to the level of competition. Never pretended to, so I can't exactly be wrong on an issue I never mentioned.

What I did say, and it is entirely true, is that wrestling is about more than just pure strength. Stamina, technique, leverage, and speed are all more important. Strength would be the 5th most important attribute at best.

If you're saying he is wrestling handicapped kids and jelly rolls with no more experience than himself, then I admit, that is concerning. Again, I won't pretend to know the level of competition, and never did.

You gotta throw in conditioning there somewhere. D1 wrestlers are like Navy Seals when it comes to stamina.

yeah it must be the self starvation, proven method of building stamina. :eyeroll:
when your matches are 3 minutes long it sure does take a lot of stamina to keep going.

You couldn't be more wrong.

really? that's how it was for me. Explosiveness and strength. I was a soccer player too, stamina for me equals being able to run four miles with 40-60lbs of weight, then practice for three hours.

really? that's how it was for me. Explosiveness and strength. I was a soccer player too, stamina for me equals being able to run four miles with 40-60lbs of weight, then practice for three hours.

Conditioning is more than half of what a wrestling practice consists of. Either you're lying about your experience, or your coach was an idiot. Strength has very little to do with wrestling. Obviously, it helps to be strong too, but stamina, technique, speed, and leverage are all more important.

Reactions: 4 people
Conditioning is more than half of what a wrestling practice consists of. Either you're lying about your experience, or your coach was an idiot. Strength has very little to do with wrestling. Obviously, it helps to be strong too, but stamina, technique, speed, and leverage are all more important.

This. Unless the state champion head coach with 13 years experience building a program from ground zero in the classification is wrong as well.

Reactions: 3 people

different levels of conditioning were required, more of a focus in soccer than wrestling. and back when i wrestled i was ~100 string bean, strength was very much needed, and i wasn't the only one on my team. we spent most of our time on technique, I can't tell the number of hours i spent practicing take downs, first from one side then the other. did very little for actual stamina. now i could preform the move (whichever one) flawlessly (as an individual could) tired because i had practiced it a thousands times, not because I good enough condition at the end of the meet to still use technique.

different levels of conditioning were required, more of a focus in soccer than wrestling. and back when i wrestled i was ~100 string bean, strength was very much needed, and i wasn't the only one on my team. we spent most of our time on technique, I can't tell the number of hours i spent practicing take downs, first from one side then the other. did very little for actual stamina. now i could preform the move (whichever one) flawlessly (as an individual could) tired because i had practiced it a thousands times, not because I good enough condition at the end of the meet to still use technique.

Why was strength needed at your weight more so than any other? You were wrestling other 100 lb string beans. I just don't buy the strength argument.

As for stamina, any wrestler (besides yourself apparently) will agree that it is an integral part of your training. Same for boxing, MMA, or any other combative sport. You exert so much energy in grappling with an opponent, that you have to simply outlast them many times. That ability usually comes from being more/better conditioned than your opponent.

We can agree to disagree, but I have too much personal experience with it for you to sway my opinion to the belief that it isn't important.

Why was strength needed at your weight more so than any other? You were wrestling other 100 lb string beans. I just don't buy the strength argument.

As for stamina, any wrestler (besides yourself apparently) will agree that it is an integral part of your training. Same for boxing, MMA, or any other combative sport. You exert so much energy in grappling with an opponent, that you have to simply outlast them many times. That ability usually comes from being more/better conditioned than your opponent.

We can agree to disagree, but I have too much personal experience with it for you to sway my opinion to the belief that it isn't important.

never said it wasn't important just said it wasn't comparable to other sports, ie. i had to work my but off in the week between wrestling and soccer to get into shape the one year i did both. in the five years i wrestled, only one in HS, i had only 1 match go down to the wire where i could say conditioning mattered. most of the rest were finished/determined before the bell.

never said it wasn't important just said it wasn't comparable to other sports, ie. i had to work my but off in the week between wrestling and soccer to get into shape the one year i did both. in the five years i wrestled, only one in HS, i had only 1 match go down to the wire where i could say conditioning mattered. most of the rest were finished/determined before the bell.

yeah it must be the self starvation, proven method of building stamina. :eyeroll:
when your matches are 3 minutes long it sure does take a lot of stamina to keep going.

The above quote sure seems like you are minimizing (mocking even) it's importance, especially in the context of the post you quoted to make that comment.

I'm sure other sports require as much or more stamina. Soccer requires a lot of stamina. So does distance running and swimming. That wasn't ever really the point though. It was a discussion about how important stamina was to wrestling, and specifically in contrast to strength. An idea you mocked and disputed.

I wrestled for 12 years. It is a grueling sport that is definitely not for everyone. At the higher levels of the sport(elite high school/college) stamina is a huge factor as is overall strength and technique. You can't simulate it in a weight room, weights don't fight back. Mental toughness is also a huge factor in one's success in the sport. Someone who has never competed in wrestling really has no idea what it's like or what it takes to be successful.

Reactions: 4 people
This discussion comes down to imprecise use of the word stamina. Wrestling requires anaerobic endurance. Soccer requires aerobic endurance. The metabolic pathways and physical toll each takes is very different and both can be very difficult.

This discussion comes down to imprecise use of the word stamina. Wrestling requires anaerobic endurance. Soccer requires aerobic endurance. The metabolic pathways and physical toll each takes is very different and both can be very difficult.

What kind of stamina did josh McNeil exert whilst untying that defender's shoe laces? Lol that pic gets me everytime.

So when we did 45-minute grind matches in college practice, that wasn't aerobic endurance? Wrestling, like soccer and football, requires both aerobic and anaerobic conditioning.

Reactions: 3 people

You obviously didn't wrestle too many matches in a state tournament where ALL of your opponents have good techniques.

Ok who cares which one of you guys can do the rock bottom the best and the peoples elbow. I don't care if this kid can wrestler or not. He isn't thinking about coming here to wrestle he is possibly coming to play football. So let's talk about that or I'm about to stone cold stun everyone in here. Hell yeah!!!!!

I friend had a kid on Nashville Christian last year. He said he would be VERY surprised if Bituli played SEC level football. He just wasn't agressive enough.

Said his parents don't care about sports and are more focused on academics.

TIFWIW

I friend had a kid on Nashville Christian last year. He said he would be VERY surprised if Bituli played SEC level football. He just wasn't agressive enough.

TIFWIW

No disrespect to you or your friend, but his offer list says otherwise by elite coaches who get paid millions.

Reactions: 2 people
If Butch thinks he is soft, he will not take him even if Danny wants to come. I think Butch has been really demonstrative about how he values toughness. However, as OGbaby just posted, the offer list tells the tale of the tape IMO. CJJ has been on air recently describing the type of LB's he wants in his D. The old descriptions of Mike, Sam and Will are out. He wants guys that are versatile with good size and really good speed that can cover and play basically anywhere based on situations. There is a legitimate reason they let Cecil Cherry go.

TIFWIW

He looks plenty aggressive in highlights but of course that's highlights and not full game.

I will say that the school and competition he faces keeps me from saying he is a lock stud type. However I think his potential in terms of size and athleticism is too much to pass up. You just hope it's not a Chris Donald situation of dominating lower tier competition.

VN Store

Back