'16 NJ QB Jarrett Guarantano (Vols commit 4/15/2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had to guess, Dormady will be Dobbs' successor. There's really nothing to go by, but he'll be in his third year with two years as the second string guy most likely. Since there's really nothing else to go by, I'll guess the guy with the most experience.
He'll have a year head start on the G-Man, but I suspect Guarantono's elite arm strength, accuracy and mobility will be just too much to keep him on the bench behind Dormady. Spring Practice should be really interesting, as we'll get our first look at Sheriron Jones, too.

We could win with any one of those guys, so it's an awesome problem to have.

Reactions: 1 person
+1. If Dobbs has a big game against Bama and stays hot the rest of the year, he might move on to the league...as there was a lot of buzz about him last year, following the USCjr game and the bowl win. Bucky Brooks, a regular draft analyst for the NFL Network, really liked him.

If he does move on to the league (I would think Dobbs, like Peyton Manning was, is probably on pace to graduate early), I do think Dormady would get the nod next fall. But, IMHO, the G-Man has too much game to sit on the sideline, and will probably get the start as a redshirt freshman.

He's heads and shoulders above Dormady, overall, IMO.

I realize you said if, but there is literally no chance Dobbs jumps pro after this year.

I realize you said if, but there is literally no chance Dobbs jumps pro after this year.

There is a chance he gets pro buzz if he plays against Alabama like he did against Georgia and finishes the year strong.

But I do agree the chances he leaves are almost zero. I think he wants to graduate with his degree.

Guarantano = Colin Kaepernick
Dobbs = Russell Wilson

Guatantano has the stronger arm and faster straight line speed. Dobbs is more slippery and can make people miss.

QB position is solid at UT for the foreseeable future.
Dobbs is more like Chris Leak than Russell Wilson, IMO. I mean that in the best way possible.

+1. If Dobbs has a big game against Bama and stays hot the rest of the year, he might move on to the league...as there was a lot of buzz about him last year, following the USCjr game and the bowl win. Bucky Brooks, a regular draft analyst for the NFL Network, really liked him.

If he does move on to the league (I would think Dobbs, like Peyton Manning was, is probably on pace to graduate early), I do think Dormady would get the nod next fall. But, IMHO, the G-Man has too much game to sit on the sideline, and will probably get the start as a redshirt freshman.

Sorry but there is no chance Dobbs would go early to the NFL. I'm not even sure he will make it on an NFL roster after his senior year. He's a very mediocre pocket passer.

Dobbs is more like Chris Leak than Russell Wilson, IMO. I mean that in the best way possible.

No, Leak wasn't very elusive at all and couldn't break tackles like Dobbs can. However, Leak also threw a good deep ball unlike Dobbs and had a lot more touch on his throws and threw with more accuracy. Dobbs' mechanics still break down from time to time. It's hard to think of a good Dobbs comparison. A less accurate Quincy Carter ('98-'00 from Georgia), maybe?

Last edited:

what league are you talking about, the C.F.L.? that's a long shot. Dobbs has no chance of playing football after college. He probably will make good $ in his career, but not playing football.

Reactions: 2 people
He'll have a year head start on the G-Man, but I suspect Guarantono's elite arm strength, accuracy and mobility will be just too much to keep him on the bench behind Dormady. Spring Practice should be really interesting, as we'll get our first look at Sheriron Jones, too.

We could win with any one of those guys, so it's an awesome problem to have.

It is a great problem to have. I think that Guarantano is a little more athletic, but as far as arm talent, in not sure he has Dormady beat. We haven't see much, but his touchdown pass to Williams was a thing of beauty, and his pass down the sideline in the O&W game was an NFL throw.

Dobb's has done something that only two other SEC quarterback's have done in the past 20 years. (300+ passing yards, 100+ rushing yards in a single game). He has done this twice against SEC competition for two of the greatest comebacks in University of Tennessee football history. He also did it behind below average offensive lines. Granted the other two won Heisman trophies, but they were both drafted in the first round. While neither have been impressive in the NFL, this is a good indicator that not only will Dobbs be drafted, but he will make a NFL roster. Dobbs is by far the most intelligent of the 3 and will impress in the interview process at the combine. With improved line play next season, he could at least tie Johnny Football's record of four games of at least 300/100.

We will see

This. It's fun to speculate, but there is really nothing to go on or no way to compare the players. Jones, Guarantano, and Johnson are all talented, but we haven't seen what they can really do yet against college competition. We've seen very little of Dormady, but he looks gifted too. They're all talented enough to get the job done physically so I think the mental part could eventually be the deciding factor.

The scary thing about JG is that he is far more talented than Dobb's at the same stage of their careers.

The guys who become the best are those that keep improving. Dobbs improved greatly from his freshman year to now. Lets hope Guarantano keeps improving as well.

Dobb's has done something that only two other SEC quarterback's have done in the past 20 years. (300+ passing yards, 100+ rushing yards in a single game). He has done this twice against SEC competition for two of the greatest comebacks in University of Tennessee football history. He also did it behind below average offensive lines. Granted the other two won Heisman trophies, but they were both drafted in the first round. While neither have been impressive in the NFL, this is a good indicator that not only will Dobbs be drafted, but he will make a NFL roster. Dobbs is by far the most intelligent of the 3 and will impress in the interview process at the combine. With improved line play next season, he could at least tie Johnny Football's record of four games of at least 300/100.

Dobbs will be a high draft pick. He has all the physical attributes you could want in a QB. He's got the height scouts look for at 6'3". He's a solid 210. He's got a strong NFL caliber arm (despite what some on here try to claim). He's got great mobility. And he's very intelligent. He checks all the boxes. Remember when Andre Ware was fawning all over him during the Bowling Green game. Like you said when he gets into the interviews he's gonna skyrocket up the boards.

The main thing for him right now is to keep improving and become more consistent passing the ball accurately. He has a number of great throws every game which exhibit great arm strength and accuracy. Remember that 3rd and long pass to Josh Smith in the 4th quarter against Arkansas that kept the final drive alive. Those sort of deep outs from the opposite hash are the throws NFL teams look for. Its what shows whether a QB has the arm strength to zip a pass like that in tight coverage.

His problem isn't an inability to throw accurately. Its consistency. Too often he throws with poor footwork and fundamentals. Thats when passes sail on him or are too short. When he sets his feet and his mechanics are on point, he's a very accurate passer.

Last edited:
Dobbs will be a high draft pick. He has all the physical attributes you could want in a QB. He's got the height scouts look for at 6'3". He's a solid 210. He's got a strong NFL caliber arm (despite what some on here try to claim). He's got great mobility. And he's very intelligent. He checks all the boxes. Remember when Andre Ware was fawning all over him during the Bowling Green game. Like you said when he gets into the interviews he's gonna skyrocket up the boards.

The main thing for him right now is to keep improving and become more consistent passing the ball accurately. He has a number of great throws every game which exhibit great arm strength and accuracy. Remember that 3rd and long pass to Josh Smith in the 4th quarter against Arkansas that kept the final drive alive. Those sort of deep outs from the opposite hash are the throws NFL teams look for. Its what shows whether a QB has the arm strength to zip a pass like that in tight coverage.

His problem isn't an inability to throw accurately. Its consistency. Too often he throws with poor footwork and fundamentals. Thats when passes sail on him or are too short. When he sets his feet and his mechanics are on point, he's a very accurate passer.
I don't think the OL allows him to show what he's capable of. He has to improvise so often, under duress. Assuming he comes back next year and the OL takes a big step forward, he'll definitely get a lot of buzz, and I'm sure Chip Kelly would be interested in taking a close look at him, seeing he wasn't able to draft Mariota.

No, Leak wasn't very elusive at all and couldn't break tackles like Dobbs can. However, Leak also threw a good deep ball unlike Dobbs and had a lot more touch on his throws and threw with more accuracy. Dobbs' mechanics still break down from time to time. It's hard to think of a good Dobbs comparison. A less accurate Quincy Carter ('98-'00 from Georgia), maybe?
That's a good point. My memory was foggy and I remembered leak as a better runner than he was.

Maybe a good comparison would be a more accurate Collin Klein?

I don't think the OL allows him to show what he's capable of. He has to improvise so often, under duress. Assuming he comes back next year and the OL takes a big step forward, he'll definitely get a lot of buzz, and I'm sure Chip Kelly would be interested in taking a close look at him, seeing he wasn't able to draft Mariota.

I love Dobbs as our QB, but you guys are wearing orange tinted sunglasses. I can see Dobbs getting drafted, but no team is going to spend an early pick on a QB who can't hit a deep pass down the sideline.

Dobbs' greatest asset is his ability to run. And he's not going to be able to run nearly as well in the NFL as he does in CFB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back