'16 AZ DE Jonathan Kongbo UT Signee 2/3/16

True. You know, I notice that a good portion of those guys are constantly doing PR work/recruiting. I also notice that Hurd rarely does any of it. I wonder if he's more of a loner/serious guy, whereas the others are more fun-loving, jovial types. Kamara is hilarious, but he knows how to go into team-speak mode when he needs to.

Agreed - re Hurd, I think he's just a more reserved personality; a young man that leads by example

Edit: I love all the personalities on this team and the way they really do seem like family!

Last edited:
All schools toss in some benefits here and there. It's about keeping it under control and on a small scale. 100 grand? Obviously a no no. Parents of a signee coming into town for their sons game? Set them up with a hotel or rental for a few days. Smaller scale is key.

VOL!!!! WELCOME TO the family Jonathan

:run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run::run:

Reactions: 2 people
Loads of talent at the DE position. Gonna be hard to keep em all happy. Barnett, Vereen, Phillips, Kongbo, Taylor, Lewis, Smith, Butcher

Injuries will take care of part of it.

But just the thought of having half those guys fresh for the 4th quarter reassures me that there will not be the same second half drop offs Vols experienced this year.

Imaging a fresh Barnett on one side & a fresh Kongbo on the other, in the last 5 minutes against a dead tired tackle, rushing a QB that is down 10 points & everybody in the stadium know he has to throw.

Reactions: 2 people
I agree with how well Kamara and crew did with PR and recruiting, but watching K-mac's periscope, for a freshman, this kid is extremely polished and smart.... he will pay dividends in the next few years on and off the field.

Injuries will take care of part of it.

But just the thought of having half those guys fresh for the 4th quarter reassures me that there will not be the same second half drop offs Vols experienced this year.

Imaging a fresh Barnett on one side & a fresh Kongbo on the other, in the last 5 minutes against a dead tired tackle, rushing a QB that is down 10 points & everybody in the stadium know he has to throw.

Agree, but stop with mentioning the "I" word already.... we went through enough this past season...

Ehhhh he's better suited in the edge.

6'6 is a solid frame to add 10-15 lbs & still play around 270 & not lose any speed.
His frame is huge.Reminds me of TMac.Don't think they can keep him under 280.He will explode the next year eating on the training table and lifting.

I love the video on Kongbo's Twitter. He said the reason he chose UT was he believes we will win a national championship next year and he's coming to bring Rocky Top back

Reactions: 6 people
Can't wait to see this guy have a great year. I may even go back to bump all the silly "we don't need another defensive end" posts. This guy is gonna be a starter next year for us and have a great season. Props to Butch for landing the big fish again.

Can't wait to see this guy have a great year. I may even go back to bump all the silly "we don't need another defensive end" posts. This guy is gonna be a starter next year for us and have a great season. Props to Butch for landing the big fish again.

How good do you think he is? It seems like Butch is penciling him in as the starter next to Barnett.

Wow that is something else right there. So butch is a snake oil salesman but they list thing after thing after thing that freeze did to try to get the parents. Is this the same dude that got his panties in a bunch last year over Richmond and said that freeze had proof we cheated and he was going to turn us in because he was a man of faith or something like that?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back