'15 MD PG Kamua Stokes

When a player's weaknesse are "needing to add weight" and things like that, and no an actual flaw in their game, I'm usually all for it.

You just provided a bunch of reasons why taking this guy now would not be a great idea. He would almost certainly sign in November leaving us 1 less scholarship come spring when much better options could become available.

I dont think UT will sign a PG in November but we could sign 3 wings if Clark commits. College Basketball has a "free agency" market in the Spring so I think we should wait as well. And Punter is progressing at PG from what I am hearing so lets wait and see on that. But still we will need a backup PG at the very least although B Bonds could be the answer there.

I dont think UT will sign a PG in November but we could sign 3 wings if Clark commits. College Basketball has a "free agency" market in the Spring so I think we should wait as well. And Punter is progressing at PG from what I am hearing so lets wait and see on that. But still we will need a backup PG at the very least although B Bonds could be the answer there.

Punter's development is certainly worth noting. We still need to sign a back up point guard imo. Perhaps Phillips is who the staff thinks can do that. Bonds is nothing more than another bait to add to the line to lure Blackwell in to Rocky Top imo. Although I do think Bonds could turn into a decent player down the line. I saw him in the state tournament and didn't strike me as someone who was ready for high major division 1 ball at this point.

Punter can play the point, but it's not his best position, same thing for Phillips. I would prefer our 2 point guards weren't 2 guys playing out of position, and neither being a great ball handler of facilitator, I would like to see an actual PG added to the class.

Punter can play the point, but it's not his best position, same thing for Phillips. I would prefer our 2 point guards weren't 2 guys playing out of position, and neither being a great ball handler of facilitator, I would like to see an actual PG added to the class.

I will concede you are probably right on that but I am in a wait and see mode. I hear Punter is progressing as a PG so I want to wait before I say he can't get it done. Even if he does become a good PG they woul still need a backup PG anyway unless Bonds can help (which is wait and see as well). I like the fact that B. Lopez is providing some special coaching to Punter. It might be working.

I will concede you are probably right on that but I am in a wait and see mode. I hear Punter is progressing as a PG so I want to wait before I say he can't get it done. Even if he does become a good PG they woul still need a backup PG anyway unless Bonds can help (which is wait and see as well). I like the fact that B. Lopez is providing some special coaching to Punter. It might be working.

As you mentioned, even if Punter proves he can play the position, next year he will be a senior. They will have to either land a PG of the future this year and give him a year to learn behind Punter, or land one next season and plan on starting him as a true freshmam.

Ian Chiles will back-up Punter.

I'm resigned to the fact that we will never have an actual PG ever again, let alone a really good one. Which drives me crazy cause that's the position I enjoy watching the most.

I'm resigned to the fact that we will never have an actual PG ever again, let alone a really good one. Which drives me crazy cause that's the position I enjoy watching the most.

Me too. With a wide open PG spot and a topnotch recruiter (Pearl), we still couldn't land a stud. No reason to think it's gonna start happening all the sudden.

Me too. With a wide open PG spot and a topnotch recruiter (Pearl), we still couldn't land a stud. No reason to think it's gonna start happening all the sudden.

Agreed. I do think playing the Point in Pearls system would have been fun. (I'm not trying to start a thing here) But I don't think it would have been fun in Zo's, just cause the PG wasn't asked to do a lot. Though who our PGs were might have had something to do with that. I think playing CDTs system with the athletes we have would be fun. It's almost like we are PG cursed. As a fan it's very frustrating.

I try not to get into the recruiting debate much, I know stars are important, but I'm more of a wait and see guy. But the lack of PG recruiting worries me, PG is a must come tourney time.

Huge concern IMO, there were 4-5 very good PG options when Tyndall got the job, we were unable to get any to even visit. Attention turned towards 2015, and the guy we went all in on Evans didn't even include us into his top 4, and never took was willing to take a visit. Since then we've seen the staff target and miss on multiple decent option: Glynn Watson, Bryant Crawford and Justin Robinson to name a few, and again, none of them even were interested enough to visit.

Won't happen don't believe Stokes will come to Vols. Small to play PG in SEC. He is a SG trapped in a PG body. Shoot first PG doesn't make anyone better. He's not that dynamic at his size and position for the SEC. Don't think his game will translate well at Tennessee. He can shoot the ball but tends to dribble the air out the ball. IMO he will be more suited in a less physical conference there are big guards in the SEC. In the right situation he could find success but don't think it's with the VOLS!!!!

Won't happen don't believe Stokes will come to Vols. Small to play PG in SEC. He is a SG trapped in a PG body. Shoot first PG doesn't make anyone better. He's not that dynamic at his size and position for the SEC. Don't think his game will translate well at Tennessee. He can shoot the ball but tends to dribble the air out the ball. IMO he will be more suited in a less physical conference there are big guards in the SEC. In the right situation he could find success but don't think it's with the VOLS!!!!

Sounds a lot like Trea Golden.

VN Store

Back