'15 IL OL Jack Shutack

Or maybe he's eligible for an academic scholarship. I have no actual info, just a possibility.

I've always wondered about this. Could someone like Dobbs "walk on," but get a full academic scholarship if he met the qualifications for such? I'm sure there's a rule out there somewhere that governs this...

:stinker2: (my daughter wanted to add this for some reason)

I think, from what I've read, that if you are on scholarship, and play football, it will be counted as a football scholarship regardless.

I think, from what I've read, that if you are on scholarship, and play football, it will be counted as a football scholarship regardless.

That's probably right, but that's such a harsh rule in today's world where it seems more kids are on scholarship than not. That would be a tough pill to swallow to pay a few thousand more per semester, just so you could be a member of the team.

Reactions: 1 person
You guys are a little mixed up. If you're on an athletic scholarship and play football, you have to be on a football scholarship. academic scholarships don't matter. If you walk on and earn a football scholarship within the first 2 years, you will count against your signing class. If you earn it after 2 years, you only count against the 85 limit

Reactions: 3 people
So, for a blue shirt, whatever year you get put on scholarship, counts against that 25, unless it is after two years, then it only counts against the 85?

They will count against the next class. If these 2015 kids blue shirt, they will count against the 2016 class. Unless the earn their scholarship 2 years from now. then they don't count against any class

They will count against the next class. If these 2015 kids blue shirt, they will count against the 2016 class. Unless the earn their scholarship 2 years from now. then they don't count against any class

That is what I was trying to say. Thanks for clarifying.

Crazy that we are so HOT right now that guys even are considering walking on or playing for free at Illinois.

You guys are a little mixed up. If you're on an athletic scholarship and play football, you have to be on a football scholarship. academic scholarships don't matter. If you walk on and earn a football scholarship within the first 2 years, you will count against your signing class. If you earn it after 2 years, you only count against the 85 limit

:good!:

Was Bruce Ellington at USCe on football scholarship? Genuine question. I ask because he also played basketball for a couple years with the Gamecocks.

If you play more than one sport, and football is one of them, and you are on scholarship, you have to be on football scholarship. I am not sure how it works if you play, basketball, or baseball, for instance. I would guess that whichever sport has the most to give, but I am not sure.

Thanks POA.

So hypothetical question: At a school, like say Kentucky, where Basketball is clearly king and superior to Football..

Could the coaches place top flight bball recruits on football scholarships and not have them count against the basketball limit?

I am almost certain that they could. Of course, he would have to participate through the football season, I would think and would not be able to start with basketball until the season was over.

Thanks POA.

So hypothetical question: At a school, like say Kentucky, where Basketball is clearly king and superior to Football..

Could the coaches place top flight bball recruits on football scholarships and not have them count against the basketball limit?

I think the rule only counts against football.

I am almost certain that they could. Of course, he would have to participate through the football season, I would think and would not be able to start with basketball until the season was over.

Yea, I would imagine he'd have to "participate", but at what level?

Here's your jersey kid, and here's your locker, and here's your name on the roster. We appreciate your contribution to the team. Why don't you go do conditioning drills in the gym :)

If he was on an athletic scholarship, it HAD to count as football.

Technically that's not true. In his case it certainly was true but not by the letter of the law.

If an athlete plays 2 or more sports and is on scholarship, he must be on scholarship for the higher revenue sport. This will almost always be football, but i suppose it is possible for it to not be. The hierarchy is determined by revenue though, which isn't widely known.

Edit*- Someone mentioned Kentucky and that along with Kansas, if the football teams were REALLY bad could be examples. Also places like Villanova could be examples.

Last edited:
"Another offensive lineman to keep your eye on would be Jack Shutack from La Grange Park, Illinois. The 3-star offensive lineman has offers from a hand full of Big 10 schools, but sources close to Shutack indicated that he could also be looking at the possibility of walking-on with the chance to earn a scholarship at Tennessee. For that to happen, Tennessee will have to beat out the likes of Indiana and the home state school, Illinois. Both of which are offering a scholarship."

- VQ

Blue shirt?

VN Store

Back